Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Hopefully picking up a GC soon
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my question is, has anyone done this swap, a USDM WRX 4EAT EJ20 engine into a GC6 impreza with automatic transmission?? any feedback is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza L Sedan 2.
650 Posts
not me....but just to clarify...are you putting in both engine AND tranny from the WRX or trying to mate the EJ20 to your existing 4EAT?

-Milan

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Aren't the two transmissios the same? Physically, it should bolt right up, and if the harness from the GC6 tranny is the same as the harness from the WRX tranny, it should plug right in and work fine. I don't think Subaru has done anything different to the trannies for a while, so I think it will work. Not 100% positive, since I've never done it myself, but I can't think of why it wouldn't work if the wiring is the same.

·
Registered
Hopefully picking up a GC soon
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm, if i could i would like to put the new WRX type 4EAT shifter into my car, but if it won't work that is okay also. i am just wondering if this has been done yet, or if it can be done. But most likely since most people have manual trasmission RS' there won't be many that have autos and did such a swap.

·
Registered
RIP: MY00 BRP 2.5RS Sedan 4EAT
1,582 Posts
WRX tranny is not the same as GC6's. WRX has VTD. I'm still skeptical if a WRX 4EAT can work on a GC6 until someone actually tries it. some people say it will work, some say it wont because of size or length issues. So no possitive answer until someone tries it. but I think just a ej20 drop might work out. not positive on that since i'm thinking of the ecu and tcu stuff might/might not work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
^ this guy's got it.

seriously, the most difficult and time consuming part of an engine swap unless you use a standalone ecu, is the wiring. so if you are trying to do this swap or are having someone else do it, be prepared to WAIT.......

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Daios said:
WRX tranny is not the same as GC6's. WRX has VTD. I'm still skeptical if a WRX 4EAT can work on a GC6 until someone actually tries it.
I'm nearly positive the WRX does NOT use the VTD. But I could be wrong. Any stats to back this up?

Also, I'm again pretty sure the WRX 4EAT is the same as the RS one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
there should be no problems with an EJ20 swaped into a GC with a 4EAT. recently I-speed tested the Link2 on a local's EJ25 4EAT car and it worked fine. you will have 0 problems with putting in an EJ20. if the stock ECU [ej20] doesnt like it (i dont see why it woudlnt, the TCU takes care of everything for the tranny not the ECU) you can always put in a Link2 or other aftermarket ecu.

a problem you will run into is the revlimiter. i dont know what I-speed tried to test the car at in rpms but it sounded like it would still shift at stock redline (not good if you want an EJ20). but i could be wrong with this. we will see soon. im putting in a Link2 into my car in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
RIP: MY00 BRP 2.5RS Sedan 4EAT
1,582 Posts
Andrew said:
there should be no problems with an EJ20 swaped into a GC with a 4EAT. recently I-speed tested the Link2 on a local's EJ25 4EAT car and it worked fine. you will have 0 problems with putting in an EJ20. if the stock ECU [ej20] doesnt like it (i dont see why it woudlnt, the TCU takes care of everything for the tranny not the ECU) you can always put in a Link2 or other aftermarket ecu.

a problem you will run into is the revlimiter. i dont know what I-speed tried to test the car at in rpms but it sounded like it would still shift at stock redline (not good if you want an EJ20). but i could be wrong with this. we will see soon. im putting in a Link2 into my car in about 2 weeks.
I think that would be me :biggest: everything ran fine with the link. bill was mentioning you name andrew saying everything should work fine and the TC would take care of everything about shifting. engine ran fine (i'm impressed with the link on my car hehe now i want one even more :D ) but one thing which i knew what will happen. the AT oil temp light poped up which is a CEL for the TCU, right? well we didn't check what the error was so i'm not sure what it was warning about. but we still did a test run around the block and it worked fine. We did notice some more noise probably coming from the exhaust. Car shifted at redline like norman and everything else.. I did notice that it did shift a little different though, not sure if he was going full throttle and kept it down but it shifted different... more aggressive. Other than that and the AT oil light it ran fine, or so they say. I would wonder what would happen if that TCU piggy back (from iclub.. named torqua--something) was used with the Link. Oh yah i heard them say that they tried the Link on a WRX 4EAT and the car wouldn't move.

BTW YES!! the WRX has VTD 6-plate clutch system. same as the outback.

·
Registered
210 Posts
daios, i get the AT Oil Temp light everyday i drive within the first minute of driving. it's due to my programmable MAP. im guessing you throw the same codes (somethign with timing). my tranny runs perfectly.

btw i called up protorque and at first they quoted me 495 and then i called up to ask some general questions that no one seemed to answer on i-club (like throttle response, etc) and then he quoted me 395! too bad we dont have an extra RS TC lying around so you can i could start the hand-me-down game for the RS 4EATs.

·
Registered
2002 imppreza 2.5 rs
1 Posts
i have a 2002 impreza 2.5rs also thats auto....i have a friend with a full ej20 he is gonna sell me to swap into my car.......what all will i need besides the complete motor to do the swap???

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS RBP
2 Posts
Bringing an old post back up for a following question. What radiator do you use with this swap? Would a manual WRX radiator work?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts