Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any knowledge, experience with the Subaru ej20 turbo powerplant? Is it a worthy transplant into a 1.8l or a 2.2l impreza l?

Anyone?

·
Registered
852 Posts
The EJ20 engine is a very worthy engine. All you have to do is take a look at what the WRX guys are doing with them. 220 HP is easily attainable with something like a TurboXS Stage II, which includes a new uppipe, exhaust, and tuned Unichip.

With the lightweight body of a GC8 1.8L or 2.2L, the power the EJ20 can produce would make your car very fast, even stock. Just be prepared to shell out around $4500 for a WRX EJ20 right now, and then around $2500 to have it put in.

Graham

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Graham,

So, what you are telling me is that the WRX engine is a EJ20, or are they just based off of the same longblock? Just so that I fully understand. Thanks,

·
Registered
852 Posts
The WRX uses the EJ20-G engine, which is an open deck turbo motor. It has stock 8.0:1 compression pistons and can handle quite a bit of boost (around 25 psi).

The EJ20 is obviously just the code name, and the 20 stands for 2.0L. Just like the EJ25, where the 25 stands for 2.5L.

If you were to find a US Spec EJ20 Engine (the WRX engine) it would bolt into your Subaru, assuming you have a GC8 (chassis designation for 2.5 RS's and L's.

Any more Q's??

Graham

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
graham,

open deck? sorry, i understand many aspects of the combustion engine, naturally asperation, forced induction, and cylinder configurations. yet, i don't understand open deck, etc??????

so, is this engine the current WRX engine, possibly an older model. i inquire because i have found a complete unit for sale and need to know what to ask to find out what types of problem i may run into with it. the only info i have is that it is a complete swap EJ20 from the JDM market, having approximately 30k miles on it.

let me know what you think, and i appreciate your insight.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Open deck vs. closed desk. Basically, an open deck engine would look like the block is hollow, as a weight-saving design. So the piston walls are like 1/2" thick or whatever, and then there is open space on the other side of the wall.

A closed deck engine is solid all the way through the block, except for piston bores and cooling/oil channels.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
graham,

well let me see then, do you mean the water jackets that run through the engine and head to cool around the cylinder. as i know of all engines have them, but i don't know if that determines anything special about it. what about the other sutff?, is it acutally a WRX?, or would you say it is pre-WRX?

thanks,

·
Registered
852 Posts
Exactly what RS25.com just said. Open vs. Closed deck is simply the design of the block around the outside of cylinders. If you find an EJ20 WRX engine from Japan, and you know the year, you can find out if it is OPEN or CLOSED deck.

IF the engine is a 1997 Model or Later, it will probably be an OPEN deck, meaning it can't handle as much boost as a closed deck because the cylinder walls are NOT reinforced.

As far as the swap, just make sure you get everything in the package you have found. If you can, get the JDM ECU that comes with the engine, get the tranny if you can as well (JDM tranny's seem to hold up better than do ours). Just remember, Subaru's are like Lego's, nearly any part from any model can fit into the any other Subaru, including JDM models. This is not to say it won't take lots of work.

All you have to do is ask the person/company your buying the engine from what year the engine is, what it comes with, and ask if the engine has had a compression check (this determines if the engine has a problem with the internals, i.e. pistons).

There's lots of information on the internet about performing JDM swaps into US Subaru's, you just need to do some research to find all of it out. I will direct you to i-club.com because the website has been around a lot longer and has more information. If you do a search over there, your bound to come up with lots of info.

Graham

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the information. i now understand the open deck/closed deck. i will check out i-club.com.

thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts