Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Aqua Frost 1993 Impreza L RWD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm making this post mostly to document my project progress, but also to ask a few questions and see if there are better ideas out there.

Last December I sold my 97 Legacy GT and bought a 93 Impreza L with 123K miles on it. I have since had the entire drivetrain out for one reason or another, and made a few changes to it.

Mods:
-RWD conversion: welded center diff, removed front axles
-Stoptech rotors/pads/SS brake lines from a 2005 Legacy GT
-LSD R160 from an RS (4.111 FD)
-KYB AGX struts with Tanabe GF210 springs
-Rota SDR 17x7.5" wheels with Nitto 215 45R17's
-Power steering delete with modified rack

After a year of beating on it relentlessly I decided I wanted to add some boost. So I bought a running EJ18E with a bolt-on turbo kit from a friend, and have been looking it over for some time now. The setup I purchased was running a rotated TD04L with a bad wastegate, gaping pre-turbo exhaust leaks, a "custom" TMIC only running half the intercooler, and it still made boost. After seeing that mess I decided that when I do this, I'm going to do it right.

Acquired parts list:
-Techworks Engineering equal length headers
-Subachad up/down pipe
-TD04L-13T
-Front mount intercooler
-Random 2.5" intercooler pipes
-Spare EJ18E (just because)
-Boost gauge

To buy list:
-Exhaust gasket kit
-MSD 8239
-One step colder plugs and plug wires
-Turbo/up pipe bracket
-Have valve cover modified for oil drain line
-Other intercooler pipes if I don't have what I need
-T-bolt clamps and silicone couplers
-Coolant lines
-Turbo drain line
-3" cat-back

I have pretty much everything sorted out at this point other than what lines I am going to run and where. I know I need a braided turbo feed line, and I'm planning on running it from either a spare port on the block or buy a tee for the oil pressure switch. I have 2 different braided lines, both for a TD04 so one of those should work.

For the oil return line, I just don't know what kind of line would be good to use for a while without having it break down. I'm open to recommendations.

For the coolant feed/return lines, I am planning on tapping into the heater hoses going into the firewall, but I am wondering if anyone has a good recommendation on how to go about this. Should I get 2 T fittings?

I know the vacuum lines are simple, but I figured I would ask just to have it written down. How should I run my vacuum lines from my turbo? I know how I'm going to run my boost gauge, but I'm not entirely sure where the other ones need to go.

·
Registered
2000 RS-T coupe
73 Posts
I'm in the middle of adding a TD04 on my EJ251.

I have a braided line for my feed (T'd with the psi switch) & return, however due to routing I think it is easier and more effective to plump it straight down past the engine mount, into the oil pan.

I already have two brass T's from Home Depot (5/8" 5/8" 1/2") plumped into my heater core lines and currently just have the 1/2" feed and return ends looped for now.

My boost gauge is T'd off the very top manifold nipple that feeds into the EVAP purge solenoid, and the turbo nipple is just straight connected onto the wastegate, since I have no boost control solenoid.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
for the coolant, just take one of the coolant lines off the heater core, plug it onto the turbo. then take another line and put it from turbo to coolant cross over. one line from crossover stays put. you're basically putting the turbo in the way of one of the lines. crossover>heatercore>heatercore>turbo>crossover. big circle of coolant.

as for oil, any oil rated rubber tubing will work. just make sure it's going down hill to where ever you're routing it to. ie: oil pan or valve cover.

·
Registered
95 impreza wagon
747 Posts
I'd T from the oil pressure sender.

I used a steel braided line for the return because of how close it is to the uppipe (heat) and because AN fittings make me happy.

Do what George said for the coolant, I just plugged the coolant ports and am running oil cooled only.

As for vacuum lines, the one to your wastegate comes from as close to the turbo outlet as possible. Blow off valve needs to get its vacuum AFTER the throttle plate on the intake manifold. Same for boost gauge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank for the input guys, this definitely gives me peace of mind. I'm planning on cutting up my bumper beam this weekend and mounting my intercooler so I can figure out the intercooler piping. I'll post some pictures of the scamry here soon.

You're running an oil cooled TD04L? How is that working for you? I've thought of it myself but I didn't want to try it unless I had seen it before.

·
Registered
95 impreza wagon
747 Posts
It runs fine for me, just make sure you don't shut the car off immediately after boosting the heck out of it.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
i meant to mention it up there in my post; regarding oil. i had issues where the rear port would not allow the system to build enough oil pressure when tapped into that port. this could have been a two fold issue for me though that i fixed all at the same time so i'm not sure which was which. either the oil pump was going out, or the oil feed was too long for the rear port. changed both the pump and the feed location and the issue went away.

what i did (can't show pics becuase fucking photobucket) was T the front port under the alt for oil feed and an aem pressure sensor. made a small jumper harness and put the OE sensor in the rear port under the mani. never see less than 12-15psi at idle, cold start in 80's, on boost in the 50's.

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Since Photobucket screwed everyone, the pics in my thread aren't working. Having a phase I valve cover make the oil return easy. I just bought a turbo oil outlet and bolted it to the back of the passenger valve cover. Super easy.

Here's a list of parts with links (not sure that they still work)
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3221969-post231.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Photobucket messed up, but go on Google and search "Photobucket Hotlink Fix." I use Google Chrome as my browser and it fixed all the photos on forums and whatnot. If you use a different browser you will have to find a different app for that, but there should be one available for all of the major web browsers.

And thanks George, I will take your advice and pick up a T fitting to run off the front port then. I think I need a M10x1.5 1/8" NPT Brass T, at least that's what was posted on one of the writeups.

I was wondering what oil you guys run for setups like this? I'm currently running Valvoline 10w30 conventional and a "Subaru OEM" blue filter (actually Fram), but I'm not sure how the journal bearing TD04 will accept that. I was considering swapping over to a synthetic blend, or maybe a full-synthetic but I'm not sure if it's necessary. What are your thoughts?

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
fell free to check out my build for some do's and don'ts. mostly it's don'ts. its filled with idiocy and dumbassness on my part. but i eventually got it to work right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried reading through your long ass thread but there is so much to read lol I read probably 40 pages of it.

Mini update: I got the bumper beam cut up but I think I need to cut more of the sides to make room for the piping to go through. The entire center section is cut out, I just need to drill the holes and cut the sides and it will be good to bolt back on. Next weekend I will be mocking up the piping, pulling the passenger valve cover off my spare block to add a port for the oil drain, and getting the MSD wired in. Hopefully the weekend after that I will be bolting the turbo setup on.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
yeah, it's a long read of shitshow. :lol: the turbo section kinda starts where the headgaskets get replaced. which..starts with post #3074

also, if you'd like, i can move this thread to the member journals section if you'd like to not have to go back and create a whole new thread.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, thanks man. And yeah, if you could move this to the member journals section that would be great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks man.

Last night I mocked up the intercooler and bumper beam just to realize the intercooler needed to drop down about 2.5". So I ended up cutting down part of the old center section and prepping it to weld back on to the beam. If I have time tonight I'll have it welded up and ready to mount. Pretty excited about that because I'm tired of the turn signals flashing so quickly, and it will look SO good with this intercooler mounted in there. It already looks better with the bumper beam cut the way it is.

I got my MSD ignition coil (Part #8239), 96-00' Dodge Neon cam sensor connector (according to Ebay), and NGK spark plug wires (Part #7600) in the mail this week, so I installed them last night. I'll have to go back and clean up the adapter harness I made but it works fine for now; Phoenix is a very dry place so I'm not too worried about it. I think my ignition coil was out of spec because my car runs quite a bit better than before, it feels very smooth and responsive now. I doubt it is actually any faster, but it made it a little easier to drive, especially below 2500 RPM where this 1.8L is completely gutless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it's been a while but I did get the car turbocharged. Running the intercooler piping ended up being the worst part, I had to cut a lot of shit and piece it all together. But it runs, and runs pretty good at that. The only problems I had were a vacuum leak from a loose coupler and undersized EJ18 injectors, which I promptly swapped out with EJ22/EJ25 red top 280cc/min injectors. If you plan on boosting your EJ18 you absolutely need bigger injectors. It was leaning out at 1/8th throttle on 3 PSI.

It's certainly not fast, but it is a lot quicker than before. It can pretty much top out 5th gear now which is just under 130 mph, assuming my speedometer is accurate. It would barely hit 105 before, and that's with a LOT of help. I checked and it's averaging just over 22 mpg in town, and I'm not being nice to it at all. I think it was getting about 23-25 before, so I'm not upset about that at all considering it is running the factory map.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts