Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.

I'm (finally!) upgrading my suspension. Since I'm on a limited budget (see 1. laid off, 2. divorce, and 3. back in school) I went ahead and ordered the KYB AGX's from pst.com (<---cool guys).

I haven't decided on whether or not I'm gonna get springs as well. For now I'll stick with upgrading the struts and see how those go.

My question is this: if the Eibach spring rates are similar to the stock spring rates, why do people say that they feel a "big difference" with the Eibachs?

Am I missing something here? Is there more than just spring rates to compare? Or are those people just crackheads? :D

Thanks,

gone

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow

23 views and no replies?

[ghetto ON]

C'mon peeps! Hit me up wit da 411, yo'z!

[ghetto OFF]

I would appreciate any enlightenment

:D

gone

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Eibach springs (in my opinion) give you a stiffer feel, and allow you to feel the road better. It's a firmer ride, and let's you read the surface of the road more.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
The KYB/Eibach setup is probably the finest comprimise for performance and comfort you'll find at any price. The car shoulda had them from the get-go.

I say go for it!

·
Registered
229 Posts
OK, here's my dollars worth.

I recently installed the SPT Eibach springs with KYB-GR2 struts and Group-N top hats.
I used to have Tein S-Tech soft springs and KYB-AGX struts.

I drive my car 100 miles round trip every day and this made the trip much more enjoyable than the Teins. Handling was compromised for comfort but not by much. The Eibachs are definitely more firm than the stock springs and lower the car about .5" - .8" or so. Quick turn in is nice and the car doesn't "skitter" around sharp corners that have bumps like my Teins used to do.
The ride is not bouncy nor bone jarring. Just firm.

If I was to do it again I would have gone with the KYB-AGX's.
As this is my daily driver I need it to handle well, be somewhat comfortable and retain an almost stock ride height for snow during the winter. The Group-N top hats also helped stiffen it up just a bit.

My rig :) : 1999 2.5RS, 20mm sway bar, KYB-GR2 struts, Group-N top hats, SPT/Eibach springs, 205x50x16 Toyo Proxes FZ4's

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've got SPT springs sitting in a box and I've been debating about whether to use GR2s or AGXs. I don't really have the time to autox, plus all the events are usually 2 to 4 hours away and its too costly and time consuming. I'd like to reduce the body roll and I too do a lot of highway driving with the occasional off road experience. I just don't want to lower the car more than an inch since I know I'll drag on something.

Do you really regret not buying the AGXs, or are the GR2s sufficient for daily driving and the occasional spirited backroads drive?

·
Registered
Silver '99 Impreza 2.5 RS
118 Posts
If I'm not mistaken (which I might be), the GR2s are *very* similar to the stock RS struts. If you're upgrading an L model, they'd be an improvement, but on an RS, they'll probably only be marginally (if any) better, simply because they're new.

The AGX is a great strut for the money. Don't plan on beating the crap out of them or anything, but they're hard to beat on a budget.

Sean
www.subrew.com

·
Registered
229 Posts
I should have gone with the AGX's.

Although, the GR2's I feel would be better for some off roading. My AGX's when I used them with Tein springs just didn't last that long. If at all possible get the Group N strut tops (front & back). These are the hard rubber ones. They do transmit a little more noise thru the cabin but nothing that drives me crazy in my 100 mile roundtrip drive to work.

I think that if I had some good solid end links for my rear sway bar, some poly bushings for my rear sway bar instead of the stock rubbers one's I have on my 20"er now and strut bars both front and rear I think the car would feel much much better. It would be a great compromise between performance handling and comfort. Oh, and my 205x50x16 tires help a little too. :) It's what the older WRX's used to have as stock sized tires.

·
Baby&#10084;Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
mother of GOD bump. i think this is the oldest thread bump i've ever seen.

·
Registered
98,Impreza OBSTI white
137 Posts
Hey i may have "bumped" an old thread but when I typed in Eibach springs on a GC8, in Google and this was a top thread. So yeah instead of creating another pointless thread I added a great photo to this thread since it had zero! I hate when people create new threads for previous topics.
George, you still covering your face now.... FYI, our cars havent change since 2001... therefore this thread is still valuable.

·
Registered
2000 BRP 3.3RS
1,073 Posts
Remind me to bump this in four years telling the op he will be fine on stock springs if on a budget.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts