Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took out my eg33 from my 92 SVX. I'm considering a Honduh radiator with a big ass fan, or something along the lines of that. Post your setups!

·
Registered
88 XT6. 2.7l H6, 4.11 5MT
565 Posts
a pm I just sent to a local guy who will likely be doing an EG swap within the next 6 months or so:

here's a couple examples of short radiators to fit an EG33:

that FMIC looking thing is actually his radiator. and only goes up to the middle of the bumper. It's a Griffin custom radiator. This guy is down in the cities. I did the wiring for him, and have ridden in it......and it's quite fast.

more pics of his setup:
http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/daoimp.htm

and the other is a Ron Davis custom radiator:

"It's a 2 & 1/2 inch core, 13 by 22 with 1 and 1/2 inch tanks and is cross flow". This guy is over in Fargo.....and I'll be going over to finish the wiring on it this weekend. I'll try to get some pictures of the setup installed.

I still need to get pics of the ron davis setup. after talking to him about that setup, I would not recommend that company. he sent them relatively simple plans, and they F#$%ed it up twice. the first time they put the intake port in the wrong place, and the second one is entirely the wrong dimensions.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks chux. Im really hoping i dont have to go custom route, I'm on a tight budget. Maybe a makeshift setup for the winter and something custom for the spring when the time comes.
when you say fast, do you mean USDM WRX or STI fast?
also, I will be sending my harnesses to you in the near future.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
Here's a stg2 STi with the svx swap. 2nd gear start on both cars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L64B7WCxLuw&feature=related

There are a few really fast Stg2 STi's but this is the typical stg2 STi. One of the locals has an '06 STi w/ stg2 and is really fast. It's as fast as my EVO3-16G 8cm swapped Impreza L wagon. I push about 300whp pump gas on my hybrid 2.2L!

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey there...well thats my impreza that chux is showing/telling you about....fuji as well..it took me some time to actually put everything together...the thing you need to know or take time with the most is the radiator. i went back and forth a lot on how to do it. Now i have a better idea of making the Radiator fit but like you im on a budget too. well good luck to your swap you have any questions all three of us can help. you can find us on www.mnsubaru.com

dao

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anything else that i should look out for besides the radiator? I think everything is going to go somewhat smoothly.

taking out the svx dash is hard!

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't want to get too far off topic here but are you going to run it on the stock ECU and a merged harness?
SVX ecu and merged harness as far as I know, Chux is doing all wiring aspects.
no ac, cruise,etc.

·
Registered
Black '01 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
387 Posts
I am thinking about doing the also but with a custom dash not using the factory gauges. I want AC and cruise though. Has anybody done the full swap? Everyone I see is bare bones. Also Jakeachy what tranny are you running?

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet :)

I've been thinking of doing this swap in my OBD 1 L. The problem I've run in to is finding a motor with a complete wiring harness
Cant beat $400 for a running 92 just missing a driveshaft!

Its a really cool engine too, I love boxers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
if you want swaps like this...i had to buy everything individually...but if you like...and want...im planning on selling my L...with the svx swap..

also for other things is the power steering lines...you might need to use the svx and also throttle cable and clutch...

im using a stage one ACT clutch pressure plate and it holds fine! the tranny might be a problem. so far mine is holding up but im not sure for how long. other than that....vaccumm.....the engine has a lot of vaccumm problem...at idle unless you get the stage one ecu chip by www.ecutune.com this will make more leanier power and more tuned.

im revving up to 7400rpm now and its a lot smoother. no need to take it up soo high without cams though but the higher revs helps the higher end by far!

how? well with shorter (outback tranny shorter 5th gear) gears and low revs of the 3.3l just doesn't feel good. The motor just wants to jump a few rpm higher to feel complete. and with the stage one chip.. that solves the problem and will help out with the lean low rpm.

FYI you will be addicted to the throttle response on the swap and the power you get on the lower revs.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
awesome!
I have a stage 3 ACT clutch/pressureplate going in (2900lb.)
Im using the rs tranny(4.11)

·
Registered
22 Posts
awesome!
I have a stage 3 ACT clutch/pressureplate going in (2900lb.)
Im using the rs tranny(4.11)

you actually dont need the stage 3. the stage one is good enough...and with the stage one it'll last your tranny a bit longer than the stage 3.

the tq and hp on the 3.3 with the stage 3 = many broken trannies...

stage one gives you more comfort and daily drivable too but its really up to you.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you actually dont need the stage 3. the stage one is good enough...and with the stage one it'll last your tranny a bit longer than the stage 3.

the tq and hp on the 3.3 with the stage 3 = many broken trannies...

stage one gives you more comfort and daily drivable too but its really up to you.
I rebuilt my tranny 7k ago, i will be fine.
did you use a donor car?

·
Registered
22 Posts
o yea the front bumper beam will probably be in the way...chop most of it.. or a little...depending on how your readiator will be...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cant beat $400 for a running 92 just missing a driveshaft!

Its a really cool engine too, I love boxers!

you can also do the full brake system too! you'll probably will like the master cylinder as its bigger than the impreza and brake feel will improve

·
Registered
Black '01 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
387 Posts
Is there a way to have the SVX ECU run like standalone. I want to run the ECUtune Stge 2 set up with the 300 zx parts. I am going to make a custom gauge cluster and run all after market gauges.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts