Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS White
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I may have a bad one, but not sure just yet.
What damage or distress will come to my 2000 RS if I continue to drive with a bad O2 sensor?

also, are the dealers the only one who can replace these things properly or can I trust a good asian import mechanic to do so?

·
Registered
347 Posts
dingo dave said:
I think I may have a bad one, but not sure just yet.
What damage or distress will come to my 2000 RS if I continue to drive with a bad O2 sensor?

also, are the dealers the only one who can replace these things properly or can I trust a good asian import mechanic to do so?
No, dealers are not the only ones that can replace it. If anything, the car will run a little rich, so fuel consumption may be a little above what you're used to seeing.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,929 Posts
you can replace it very easily your self. If you didnt lower your car you can do it by sliding under it with an adjustable wrench in about 5 minutes.

I had mine burn out on me coupla weeks ago. Go to www.subaruparts.com and you'll get it for about 80$ shipped dealer price is $160 + installation =comlete rip off.

-------------------------------
Trish Lee
SubaruParts.com
http://www.subaruparts.com
Your Subaru Online Parts Experts!

Toll-Free 877-473-6200
253-473-6200 8-5 PST T-F
FAX 253-474-6872

·
Registered
539 Posts
It burns WAY rich. I can usually get over 360miles on a full tank and I'm doing good if I break above 230miles. I can't wait till my sensor comes. With gas prices being so damn high it's costing me a shitload in gas money. Suck it up and pay to replace it instead of wasting money on extra fillups.

·
General pain in the ass
3,929 Posts
what year is your car, i know there been a recall on o2 sensors, you might get yours replaced on recall.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had mine recalled already and the new one is bad of course I called subaru of america and they told me that since I didn't fall into the timeline. (a year or less since install) It was done 18months ago. I pissed and moaned because I feel that I deserve to be reimbursed considering my first 02 that was recalled never gave me a hint of trouble and now the "new" one is bad. Anyway subaru said they would look into it and determine if they would give me a "goodwill discount" where they would pay for part of the bill, but I would have to get them to replace it and the dealer around here sucks ass. They wanted over 200 bucks to do it, when I could do it myself for way less. I just ended up getting one from a guy on here.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
I might have a bad one too. When was the recall for? Please say 97 Brighton. :biggest:

I didn't put much thought into this, but I had the check engine light on. I also walked behind it the other day, right after starting. Not something I normally do. Damn, it was thick. I might have got a little buzz off what was coming out of my tailpipe. Also, I was shocked today to see I was on an empty tank again. Don't know what I normally get, it just seems I'm ffiling up quite a bit now.

Whatcha think? O2 sensor?

I think the port under the dash is a OBDII port. Can I just roll this up to Auto zone to get scoped, or am I going to have to give Subaru $50, to plug in a scanner. God I hate the major shops.

It's a 97 1.8 liter. I havn't had to do anything to it yet, so I haven't gotten to know the engine at all really.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Yeah, they do. Just don't know if they can do one on this car. I'm assuming it's new enough they can. However, on my last vehicle the dork couldn't figure out how to scope it. He also couldn't find his ass with both hands, so it might not have been the equipment.

·
General pain in the ass
3,929 Posts
Streetman said:

It's a 97 1.8 liter. I havn't had to do anything to it yet, so I haven't gotten to know the engine at all really.
HAAAAAA.!!! some pro you call your self :D
just so you know, all cars past '96 had to be OBDII, it was the new emission standart to acompany the new crash standrart which eluminated my beloved RX7....waaaaaaaaaaahhhh waaaaaaaaahhhh ;)

...so your car being a 97 falls into categoy of cars past 96 :flame:

·
General pain in the ass
3,929 Posts
i did, and then i made fun of you based on me calling you a pro:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Autozone

Just go to autozone. They will read the OBDII for free then tell you what part you need. I went there with my 97 Grand Prix and it was the 02 sensor, they had it in stock. they also wanted to lend me a socket with a slit on the side (for the wires) to put it in. The part was 70 bucks or so, the diagnostic was free and the tool lending service is free also.

Good luck, Nick

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Yeah, Autozone kicks ass. Like a neighbor that has every damn tool in the world. I've borrowed more shit from them over the years. They even come deliver tools for me to borrow. I kid you not. Ever since I was half way through something once, and would have had to rebuild to make it up there. I just called up, told them the vehicle was in pieces, and did they have a delivery guy that would be around my area that day? There response? "Hell, yer only 5 minutes up the road, we'll just send someone over now." How cool is that?

Perhaps I'll call and ask the same thing, see if I'm good enough to get them to drive to my house to scope the car. You know half those guys will do anything to get their hands on a car. The other half don't want to be in the store all day. Hmmm...this will be fun trying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts