Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5 RSTi
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my intake and exhuast and i have read about having to reset the ECU on the car. Is it beneficial for me to do this? ANd, this is done by disconnecting the battery for 30 mins then letting it idle for 10 or so then driving it?

SOrry if this has been answered a million times already i am kinda a noobie... gimme a break.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
Yes, this is what I did when I installed my intake. The times you have are correct as far as I know. That is what I did.

Nick C.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
My only suggestion is this, for a full reset the engine needs to cool before the battery is re-connected. If you live in a decent neighborhood I'd say unplug the battery before bed (manually lock the doors). When you wake up (MAKE SURE you have your keyless entry fob with you) go plug the battery back in, hit the disarm button, and start the car. Let the car until the rad fans kick in, cut the ignition. If you have the time let the car cool back down (always seems to work best for me) before you take it on that first "spirited" drive, if not no biggie.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've always done the same thing as you mentioned in your opening post. I have had numerous intakes, put them in and out, etc. Never had any problems with it. I was even told by Rallispec that it didnt even make a difference if you ran it at idle for a period of 10 mins, the ECu would just reset itself naturally after a while.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
True, but it does make a relatively imediate difference -vs- waiting for several days for the ECU to learn. I try to reset the ECU every couple of months, regardless of mods or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts