Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Obs White 2.2L 5MT
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know how to reset my ecu, I use the method FalconRS always posts. Just a quick question about it. If I leave it idle for more than 10 minutes, is that bad? Same thing with pumping the brakes, if I pump for more than 60 seconds is it bad?

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Pumping the brakes does nothing except bleed the electrical system of any stored energy. In fact, when I look my battery out to clean it and install a grounding kit, it reset without pumping the brakes.

And idling just lets the car quickly relearn the A/F ratio and other things... so 10 is about good, I heard 20 min from other people. Personally, I didn't let it idle at all besides an additional 2 min.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
1nsp said:
Ok I know how to reset my ecu, I use the method FalconRS always posts. Just a quick question about it. If I leave it idle for more than 10 minutes, is that bad? Same thing with pumping the brakes, if I pump for more than 60 seconds is it bad?
1. As I always say, leave it running for 10 minutes MINIMUM. Longer is no big deal. I often let it go for 15 or 20.

2. Pumping the brakes is just to use the brakes to discharge power from the ECU so it fully resets, you can't pump them too much.

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
When I installed my Delta cams, the motor stalled at every stop sign and stoplight.

So, when I got home I reset the ECU. Started it... and it barely and I mean barely, was idling. Went inside and watched an entire DVD. When I came out it was idling right at 800 (as smoothly as lumpy cams will allow) and hasn't stalled once in 6 months!

So, I think you are safe with more then 10-20 minutes! :sunny:

·
Registered
412 Posts
NW OBS said:
When I installed my Delta cams, the motor stalled at every stop sign and stoplight.

So, when I got home I reset the ECU. Started it... and it barely and I mean barely, was idling. Went inside and watched an entire DVD. When I came out it was idling right at 800 (as smoothly as lumpy cams will allow) and hasn't stalled once in 6 months!

So, I think you are safe with more then 10-20 minutes! :sunny:

Hmm, does it matter what kind of DVD in this instance? ;) :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts