Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
GC8 STi, Mini, Lexus
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today we swapped my carpet.

my car was fine before. after we finished swapping my carpet for a new one, the car turned on and fired up with a CEL code of p1446.

The car has a flashing cruise control and CEL (04 sti cluster) and it seems like the car runs funny now. Tried to reset the ecu. Code came back (used AP to reset ECU) and now the car runs REALLY funny, trouble idling all that jazz.

what the heck happened?

what wire did I nick/unplug or what did I break? This was NOT a problem before. Is it just a coincidence that the carpet swap was done? Is my gas cap bad? (I hope that this is the problem. It crept up shortly after getting a new tank of gasoline)

·
Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,492 Posts
fuel tank pressure control.....take out the rear seat and make sure you didnt disconnect anything under the seat/in that area.

·
Premium Member
Donk It.
1,702 Posts
Your idle issues are probably (hopefully) related to you resetting your ECU. I've got an '04 STI engine in my RS too, and it barely idles for up to a few days after i reset the ECU.

As for the carpet swap, make sure all the relays in/around the pedals are still plugged in, and double-check to see what you moved/changed around the ECU (passenger footwell) area...i can think of many things that would prevent the car running altogether, but not many that would just cause a CEL.

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
When installing the front seats back in you can pinch wires, check there also.

·
Registered
GC8 STi, Mini, Lexus
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fuel tank pressure control.....take out the rear seat and make sure you didnt disconnect anything under the seat/in that area.
I will check the rear seat today. I actually installed the carpet without totally removing the rear seat, however I do have a mess of stereo wires back there.

i know p1446 has to do with a tank sensor on the 04sti that is not supposed to be present on the 2.5rs 1998 tank.

i thought that was it, anyway...and i know that ECS sometimes wires in the sensor not attached to anything to ensure that it sees voltage.

this is the case with wrx engines in 04, but im not sure if it is on the 04 sti engine/ecu combination.

let me know if it is.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
The thread title IS pretty funny.

"I swapped my carpet and now I have a CEL!"

:D

·
Registered
GC8 STi, Mini, Lexus
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, now we have a working theory on why things are snafu.

Me and TJ (he has pulled apartmy car as many times as I have. I owe him lots of beer)
had to resecure a lot of the interior panels.

I *think* this is the box that causes p1446 on swaps if it isn't there...

now, the front carpet near the passenger footwell was hard to secure.
we had a b--- of a time getting it to sit down the way we wanted.

notice, on this other individuals swap where that magic little box is placed...

I'm going to give [email protected] a call to check if my car HAS that box, and then if that is the case, confirm the location of that box on ECS branded swaps. With that in mind I will be able to trace a probable sequence of events and then begin to pull up carpet to see where it happened.

·
Registered
GC8 STi, Mini, Lexus
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, i found the little sensormadoodle.

i dunno why it doesnt work. wires crimped? i reset my ecu and so far so good!. I moved it away from wherever it seemed like it was pinching.

·
Registered
GC8 STi, Mini, Lexus
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
solution: when putting your seats back in, be sure that the wires are not loose or anywhere near the seat rails chassis attachment points.

they can become crimped and work/not work with little rhyme or reason.

·
Wiring Guru
01 RS, 97 Ducati
357 Posts
solution: when putting your seats back in, be sure that the wires are not loose or anywhere near the seat rails chassis attachment points.

they can become crimped and work/not work with little rhyme or reason.
The reason that you were throwing a fault code due to the wires being crimped is because the insulation was damaged and grounding to the chasis. You may want to pull the seat out again and inspect the area that was pinched and either apply a layer of tape to it or if needed replace that section of harness with some fresh wire that has solid insulation.

Z

·
Registered
92 Crown Vic
629 Posts
when i reset my ecu. i leave it running for a while just idling. but i agree with above the idle is ecu reset. and i really agree with Zephyr. go back and check that wire for cuts. it might come back and ground out again, i have done it on other wires before.

james

·
Registered
01 rs/wrx swap
72 Posts
hope you got the problem fixed, i had a 1446 bothering me for quite a while...wound up wiring in the pressure solenoid valve. good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts