Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
background:

i was running EBC Reds on the front for the past 9 months and have been very satisfied. the grip is incredible, especially when combined with the traction available from race tires. also, they work well enough for commuting when cold and dust is minimal for such a grippy pad. however, they recently died a horrible death. apparently they have no wear strips ;)

so now onto the current dilema:

its the start of a new season of motorsport and i've already bought struts and will be getting new tires next month once my current set is corded beyond all recognition. i am running autozone specials for brake pads right now but once it gets hot, i fear for their ability to resist fade. i don't mind running them for a few events as i determine proper settings for the shocks and new tires but come divisional time (early may) i'll need them!

My question to you:

i am looking for any direct experience comparing the metal masters ($100 for all 4) and the EBC Reds ($170 for all 4). if you only have experience with the Axxis pads, post up. i already know about the reds. also, please indicate if you are running all four or just the fronts.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i ran them on just the front on my 95 L rally car all of last season.

they made it through the entire season...
no fade
no warped rotors
no issues...

i'd buy them again.. yes :)
cheers
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
Axxis Ultimates are far better, but dust more... If you car is constantly dirty like mine and you don't care too much, I recommend them highly! ;)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you've run them both? from what i've read, the Reds are much better on paper as far as brake torque and heat resistance goes. they also cost nearly twice as much.

the OEM pads i have going now definitly are not going to make the cut. i got on them a bit last night and, while that scrumptious odor wafting into the cabin reminded they weren't fully bedded in yet it was clear that they were not going to be happy at an auto-x. we'll see how they do in rally-x on sunday...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Actually on that point!

I bought a full set of cross drilled rotors from KVR and KVR Front Pads but PDM says that their Rear pads are still under development. So I'm left with my rear's still stock. I'm not sure what pads to get I was thinking HAWKS or the Green Stuff or Red I just don't want wrap-age or streck'n noises.

What should I get?

the KVR Front rotors and pads are already on because my fronts were dye'n so I replaced them... I need to do change the rears soon any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
10th Warrior said:
you've run them both? from what i've read, the Reds are much better on paper as far as brake torque and heat resistance goes. they also cost nearly twice as much.

the OEM pads i have going now definitly are not going to make the cut. i got on them a bit last night and, while that scrumptious odor wafting into the cabin reminded they weren't fully bedded in yet it was clear that they were not going to be happy at an auto-x. we'll see how they do in rally-x on sunday...
never run red... i was talking about metal masters...

i have heard nothing but bad things about EBC pads for street driving...

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just to clear things up a bit, its the EBC Greens that have a reputation for chewing rotors. I have had zero problems with the Reds as far as rotor wear (until the backing plate that is ;) ), squeal, dust, cold temp ability, and ultimate grip. they're just a bit on the pricey side.

that being said, Deznuts, i ran the Reds on front and stock in the rear with no problems. the reason i'm looking to replace the rears now is because they are getting low on life and i'd rather replace them with something good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts