Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
V3 RA Brighton my96
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you search on ebay for a "double din navigation" youll find a lot of units for around 150$.
Don't be scared.
I ordered one for the hell of it and I was amazed. It comes with bluetooth and everything. So your phone hooks up as soon as you get in the car. My unit came with a free rear view camera which works great.

It literally has better quality than my friends 4000$ eclipse nav unit. and WAY more features

I can not tell you how great these are for the price, Ill do a video review if anyone is interested. I actually bought two of them after I saw how great the first one was. Bought one for my girl.
Crazy thing is, both came in and they have different brand names on them. They also both run different software, but they both work great.

These are the titles of the two i bought
-Roadmedia Double 2 Din 7" Car In-Dash DVD Player Stereo R...
-Car Double 2 DIN 7" Navigation GPS CD/DVD Player Radio IP..

Also, I ordered my harness on ebay too, it was 3$ so i figured why not. It came in and its the actual schoshe (or however you spell it) harness that best buy sells for 20$. I ran the install bay at best buy in Pittsburgh for a few years, and these units will blow away anything best buy has by far.
Not sure about the sound quality they really put out cause I only have the fronts hooked up.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
They may be a cheap price but not better quality. Quality is a function of how well it lasts and how well it performs, not just how many bells and whistles it comes with. I've installed many cheap in dash nav units and while they may come with some cool features and functions, the sound quality usually sucks big time. If the price is going to affect the sound quality and longevity of a stereo I'd rather get a good sounding one over one with nav. I can always use my phone's nav if I really need it. I'm sure eventually the price of in dash nav will get really cheap for the quality units and it has dropped a lot over the last ten years but it still isn't this cheap.

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs silver
99 Posts
Have a link on the unit you picked up? I was looking on EBay a few nights ago for one and didnt know witch one to go with, since a few years ago i picked up a OEM 6 Disc unit for my GC and turned out that the screen didnt work.

·
Registered
2011 Legacy 2.5i Limited
219 Posts
Can you put up a few pics, a video of it running? Talk us through the functions it does and so on? And I'm also interested in the tradeoff with the sound quality...

·
Registered
V3 RA Brighton my96
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea I can do a video later today probably. but 2slo is right in a way. not too impressed with the sound quality. but my car is a gutted beater, so I dont really want anything nice in there. just something cool.
but the gps actually works great for being from hong kong or whatever, but it warns you every time you break the speed limit haha.

and what i mean by quality, this one has a higher resolution than his eclipse deck did. I think the res on these goes up to 800.

But yea ill post up a vid later and you guys can see what you think. Its a great unit for 150$. I mean I didnt even want a cd player at all in my car, but if I can watch that beautiful chick from the agonist while im jamming metal all for 150$, its worth it haha

·
Registered
V3 RA Brighton my96
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im pretty sure if you really loved sound, you could get a great 4 channel a/b and a separate class d amp and you would be world class sound. doesnt really matter what the decks pushing out when you run it into a JL 4 channel haha.

Time will tell on these decks though. when i was an installer there was a brand called "dual" we always said, "doesnt usually always last" because every one of those damn things came back within a month. This deck has been running strong through two months of beating the crap outta my car, but ill let you guys know when it shits the bucket.

OH YEA! the icing! When you start it up... yup... it has a subaru logo! BAM hahaha

·
Registered
V3 RA Brighton my96
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really should clarify something actually!
If you have a really nice gc, like all jdm blue interior and shit, this is NOT the deck for you. get something nicer. I mean its a great deck, but if you are making your gc really nice, dont put a shit brand deck in there.
But if your like me and its a race car, beater, or dd, than for sure get it without a doubt

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
I'm not saying for the price its not a good deal for many people, especially if it lasts a couple of years. Having nav, bluetooth, etc takes care of most of what most people need. I'm just really critical on how a deck sounds so unfortunately that limits the range a lot for what I buy.

·
Registered
V3 RA Brighton my96
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea time will tell on how long it will last. Ill get a video review up soon, Ive just been really swamped with school and work.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,850 Posts
To be honest, i checked your post history when i saw this, i thought you were spam! A golden review of an Ebay Nav unit is so far fetched!

keep us informed, i have the Alpine unit and love it but it is old and the resolution sucks.

·
Registered
01 GC6 AW
230 Posts
For a GC, sound quality can't get any worse than the stock. With an aftermarket exhaust, it is already so hard to hear your radio anyway... I'd like to get one of these after the review =)
Maybe return my single-din radio since I like having a rear-view camera.

·
Banned
03 Legacy GT wagon
6,471 Posts
What surprises me is, I have a Pioneer X930BT which retails for like $1000 (i only paid $300), and its nice hardware, high res screen, good sound quality, but holy balls does the software on it suck. just poorly designed and poorly implemented. the nav interface makes NO sense. maybe i'm spoiled for how easy and intuitive my phone is (either the apple maps or google maps) but the nav app on this pioneer deck is atrocious. the basic interface is laggy and often a notification will pop up over another button (or only partway over). also the way the cabling is designed leaves a lot to be desired. for a recent model $1000 deck youd think it would have HD radio built in (nope! gotta buy their stupid radio passthrough box). also youd think it would have a USB port (nope! gotta get 2 different $50 cables and even then it doesnt play over usb, it plays over the audio output of the phone/ipod).

Unfortunately its the only deck Pioneer makes that has a high res screen and a volume knob. i hate volume buttons, i want a knob. what i REALLY want is a good quality deck with a nice resolution screen, usb port, hd radio, a volume knob. bluetooth would be nice too. i had all that minus the bluetooth and high res screen in an older cheap Sony deck... but it didnt have customizable backlighting color

oh well maybe i'm too demanding

</rant>

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
I just installed (Monday) a direct fit oem style cheap nav deck in a 2013 corolla a customer just bought from us. The lady came back yesterday to get the stock deck reinstalled. She actually said the sound and the nav sucked. Seriously, the oem deck did sound better. I immediately thought of this thread.

I was surprised at all of the cool features and menus the nav deck had but the sound quality did suck and the nav was very laggy. It showed the car in a way different location and the car icon would hop around like you were on a street 50 feet over. Wish I could remember the brand but there are so many generic brands its difficult to keep track.

I'll check back to this thread when you can get a review and maybe some video of your nav radio.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts