Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP RS-Swapped
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stock audio setup from 2000 RS (radio plus CD unit, front, door, and rear window speakers).
its getting old, and won't play most CD's. Speakers still sound pretty good though.

I've never tried swapping out audio before, looking for something that is easy for a newb to do, and works with a USB stick and maybe iPhone input ?
any suggestions ?

Is there anything that is basicly just.... slide out the old, slot in the new? or do I need a bunch or wiring harnesses, and brackets ?

thoughts appreciated

cheers

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS SRP
162 Posts
Go to crutchfield, put in your car, and search for all the things that fit. Crutchfield has killer instructions and customer service, so even if you've never done it before, they will help you through it. Most single din should fit, and you can make most double din fit with minor modifications.

Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP RS-Swapped
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
98 impreza obs 2.2L
86 Posts
Try adding some tweeters into your doors if you dont already have them. They go right by the door handle, behind the speaker looking part of the plastic trim. and just switch out your speakers its pretty simple just improvise.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
pioneer makes good budget speakers, if your the type that likes lots of bass plan on doing a sub and dont crank to much bass on the speakers.

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP RS-Swapped
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try adding some tweeters into your doors if you dont already have them. They go right by the door handle, behind the speaker looking part of the plastic trim. and just switch out your speakers its pretty simple just improvise.
thanks much..
didnt' know if I had any tweeters in there or not, so I just peeked and listened, and I do have some apparently, but they sound mostly just like white noise !!! So I might look at swapping those out too, thanks for the tip.

How do I get that cover off without breaking the plastic tabs ?... feels really fragile

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
just remove all the screws by the handle, then work a flat tip around the edge to pop the panel off, dont do it when its really cold or your definately gonna break some, and for the most part auto parts stores should have the generic push pins or somehting similiar.

·
aka arangov3
Do noffin Foz
2,802 Posts
It just pops off, post pictures we will walk you through it but directions also come with the dash kit.

But this is how I do it:
step 1: shift knob then trim around shift boot.
step 2: remove ash try(Idk if you have to do it but I think you do)
step 3: pull off trim around the radio. Pull from the bottom should get it right off but if you are afraid of breaking it stick something in the side and just pop it off(there are 2 or 4 claps around the radio which will pop off)
step 4: remove 4 screws attaching radio cage to dash
step 5: unplug radio
step 6: remove 4 screws holding radio to radio cage
step 7: merge aftermarket harness to radio harness/plug adapter
step 8: plug after market radio and check that everything is working using fade to make sure the speakers are all powered and powered correctly
step 9: if radio is working repeat all steps starting from step 6 in reverse to step 1

hope that helps if it doesn't pm me and I will give you my number to walk you through it while I do it in my car

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP RS-Swapped
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks much, got everything disconnected and old unit out... any idea what impedance my speakers are ?... just saw warning with the new unit saying not to use with wrong impedance speakers, hope the crutchfield guys know what impedance speakers are default in 00-RS and recommended me an appropriate unit.

Also found a box under drivers seat with some extra wires. Is that a sub or amp ?

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
599 Posts
I recommend you spend 5 minutes at

diycaraudio.com

You'll get access to proper information, along with a huge amount of used audio parts for sale. I highly recommend this over going to crutch field where you are spending (at minimum) 30% more than anywhere else. I like their tools and information, but hate their pricing.

First thing to do is replace the factory head unit. Then focus on front speakers, then rear. Invest in speaker baffles - they are worth it. After that's done, then look into additional amps, subs, and custom enclosures.

With enough time and sense you can have a bitchin setup for less than a couple hundred. I worked in car audio for 6 months and ended up with a head unit, front and rear component speakers, amp, sub, capacitor and enough 4ga wiring for every component and engine grounds for under $150. You can read more about my setup and other member's setups in the "audiophile" post.

-TC

·
Registered
2001, Impreza 2.5rs
6 Posts
I am having the hardest time installing my head unit. None of the wiring charts match what I took out of the stock stereo.. I'm lost

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP RS-Swapped
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I got mine working... Though head unit sits a bit too far back.. need to bring it forwards somehow... and find out how to fill in that blank space that used to have the CD unit. any ideas ?

...actually I thought that the wiring diagrams for my head unit also did not match, until I read through really carefully, and noticed that their manual was just written and laid out extremely poorly.
Also check the wiring you were given, in my case all the colors matched exactly, with just a few that needed to be ignored / taped off.
If you can, post images of the wiring charts you have, maybe people on here can figure things out. I'll try, but I'm no pro, only done this once.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Just get a DIN pocket to fill the blank space.

95 96 97 Outback Subaru Impreza Dash Pocket 27089 | eBay

I'd also replace the speakers too. You might think they sound good, but they really do blow goats.

I'm using a JVC media headunit. 2 USB ports, bluetooth, AUX port, no cd/dvd capabilities. For speakers, using Rockford Fosgate 6" Punch speakers. About $250 setup.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just ordered a pair of Polk db651s. They have good reviews, so I'm hoping they are better than what I have now, which I think are stock.

The previous owner of this car sucked.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Just about any speakers for $50+ (per pair) is better than the stock. I actually bought some super cheap JVC speakers ($22 shipped per pair) were worse than stock. They now sit in a box, waiting for the day to get put into the car, when I sell it off. If I do.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Omg, I need that. I hate the default cup holder location and design. This might sway me to stick with single DIN as well...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts