Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Eastfreestyler's Bugeye Wagon

46K views 179 replies 37 participants last post by  Brink 
#1 · (Edited)
2009 is crazy year for me (In a good way) :)
I found out my longtime girlfriend was pregnant, so i decided to marry her and start our own little family. This chain of events changed my plan of getting swapped GC/GF, I put all the modding aside and went out from the community for a while.

I had the Coupe for my commute to work, but the lack of space and non power feature turn me off since i have a newborn baby.
So after the registration and insurance expired,
i sold my coupe
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t108146-east-m20-coupe.html
to a fellow rs25er (AWDKID).

I originally wanted to get Legacy GT wagon or Forester XT but i stumble on 2002 Aspen White WRX wagon on craigslist. It had plenty of issues (little things, nothing major) but i'm willing to take the tasks to fix it since i LOVE Aspen White.

My plan is to use this as another alternative to my other Imprezas, and hey i got boost the easy way ;)

Future Mod (no particular order):

- 5 % rear half Tint
- JDM STI catless uppipe
- Bellmouth 3" catless downpipe
- STI axle back
- 22mm RSB
- Eibach Pro kit springs
- KYB GR2 struts
- JDM Liberal Grill
- JDM Liberal Front lip Wagon Spec
- JDM headlights / USDM Retrofit
- JDM rear spats + aero splash
- JDM V7 hood scoop
- Walbro fuel pump

*If my baby hits 4 yrs*
- 6 spd swap
- Brembos
- EJ257

*blue font = done*

basically, i'm looking to build my bugeye wagon similar to this

or

Thanks for Reading
-Aaron

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
On my bugeye test drive i noticed a lot of stuff:

- The car is really sluggish when you accelerate (I found out that the previous owner used regular gas for quite a while)
- Fuel gauge needle doesn't work.
- Front bumper passenger bottom is cracked
- Clock doesn't work
- Coolant tank is in bad shape (common for 02 wrx)
- Center console arm rest doesn't open
- Dings on doors
- Oil hasn't been change for a while
- Keyless entry is missing (I found it later in the glovebox)

The next day, I fill it up with 93 octane and cleaned the MAF sensor thinking it would make the acceleration better but it didn't fix it. So i decided take day off work on sunday and work on the car.

I cleaned IAC valve, replaced fuel filter + pcv valve, and changed the spark plugs. While i changed the oil with synthetic, i noticed that the current oil is really thick and 'gueyy' which made me think that the previous owner hasn't change the oil for a longgg time :eek:

I drove the car again and it's still sluggish. Even worse now, the car will jerk when i'm going high speed (70 mph). Since the plug is new so i decided to unplugged the MAF and it made all the difference in the world. I ran without MAF for couple of days with CEL on. The day after, i went to autozone and picked up new MAF (CEL gone + car runs smooth)

Other thing i need to tackle is the Fuel gauge cluster. I'm yanking out the fuel pump to check all the sensor next week. I might upgrade to walbro while i'm at it.

#5 · (Edited)
~Table of contents~

post 24 - Bought Liberal grill from nasioc
post 33 - Took out DRL (day running light)
post 35 - Purchased Authentic JDM Liberal wagon front lip
post 36 - Tinted my windows (5% rear half)
post 37 - Repaired and prep Liberal front lip + grill
post 39 - Painted and installed Liberal front lip + grill
post 43 - Painted sideskirts to match
post 54 - Purchased Gold STI Brembos (front + rear brakes)
post 64 - Bought Eibach pro kit lowering springs
post 72 - Traded my 02 stockers + cash for 07 wrx wheels
post 84 - Purchased Double din Pioneer AVH P4000 DVD player
post 87 - Installed 07 wrx wheels
post 107 - Got my KYB GR2 struts
post 113 - Kyb GR2 struts and Eibach pro kit springs installed
post 121 - ordered ATI center clock pod
post 129 - Got my JDM STI catless uppipe
post 131 - Installed STI axleback
post 140 - ordered Prosport gauges
post 146 - Installed jdm sti catless uppipe + new gaskets

#10 ·
Thanks, i do plan to run the V7's on the bugeye soon.
But my ideal wheels for the bugeye will be "white" (i love white on white) and 17x8/8.5 (White Work CRs is what i have in mind)

congrats on the expecting kid and wife. And also on the wagon, sounds like a great year for ya.
Thanks man,
GL on your swap, hope to see it on the road soon.

#11 ·
But my ideal wheels for the bugeye will be "white" (i love white on white) and 17x8/8.5 (White Work CRs is what i have in mind)
I completely agree...I am running white wheels on my white wagon and in the future I want to get the exact same design you are talking about in 17x8 and run fender flares... but...I was going to go a little cheaper route..

Clicky

#16 · (Edited)
Will do..but it won't be anytime soon..I need to get a FMIC and coilovers first and take out a $30,000 loan for school/camera equipment next summer and I am unemployed now until October due to getting back surgery last week.. :(

I have no problem with buying Drags, my buddy has Drags on his built DA Integra wrapped in Azenis tires and he pushes the car insanely hard in autoX and he hasn't had one problem.
and
being that the SSR knockoffs on my wagon aren't even really a brand...they are "SSP Type-C" (made in Korea or something. $305 shipped for 4) and I have put tons of abuse on them through autoX, gravel roads, lots of high speed cornering and they have not failed me in any way.

#18 ·
Cool, good to know drag wheels have durability.
Don't you have Big STI scoop. Why front mount so soon?
Coilovers are must if you track or autox your impreza.

If you ever want to sell the p1 lip off your red wagon, let me know, I miss mine! Haha

But the bugeye looks good! My friend bought a bugeye wagon about 7 months ago. He really likes it(he came from a 96L wagon) He is stage 2 right now, but he is hoping to go 16g, FMIC, Walbro 255..etc soon. Aspen White is my favorite bugeye color though!!
I'm actually thinking to part out my GF wagon to fund my bugeye.
You're friend is like me (heck everyone). Boost is addicting and you crave for more power.
I had fun the first 3 days on the bugeye but now i want to get more. I need to be patient tho since i have a baby now. Gotta wait till he grows up a bit

#17 ·
If you ever want to sell the p1 lip off your red wagon, let me know, I miss mine! Haha

But the bugeye looks good! My friend bought a bugeye wagon about 7 months ago. He really likes it(he came from a 96L wagon) He is stage 2 right now, but he is hoping to go 16g, FMIC, Walbro 255..etc soon. Aspen White is my favorite bugeye color though!!

#23 ·
:lol: it's in baddd shapeee after the hit and run.
ductape is what's holding the side front bumper. I really need to work on it, i have rs bumper replacement but it still needs paint.

Yeah I do but the top mount gets pretty heat soaked while I am just sitting there waiting in between autoX runs so my engine heats up pretty quickly so a front-mount would aid in the cooling followed by a low temp thermostat or an upgraded radiator. I'll either keep the STi scoop and mount an oil-cooler on top of my motor right under the scoop or mount it in front as usual and maybe get a hood-scoop delete....or just keep the scoop either way for the hell of it since it looks kinda mean.

When I bought my springs I hadn't experienced autoX yet so I wasn't too worried about spring rates...now the wagon is all about it so I would love some..and lower it a lil more than it is now too.

The bolded part...such an understatment...no one can really understand it either until they have their own boost!
Sounds like a good plan, i was just curious cuz i see your GF8 has STI scoop.
I had my share with coilovers (cusco) and they're def worth the money if you're into autox.

you need roof rackkkk !!!
haha, i do have the stock roof rack.
I don't need thule roof rack since i'm not a skier or snow board freak :)

#29 ·
Wagons alright, has blowen up yet. something is wrong with the gas tank though, wont take gas very easily from the pump. it takes over a half hour to fill the tank. been thinking about selling it. I would like to buy a house in the next year.

At 60mph in fifth gear Im at like 4k.

#34 ·
One thing I dislike on newer Impreza is DRL.

I think it's annoying so i took it out
I hated that on my 02 Legacy also so I disabled them...I was just thinking on my way home tonight also that I need to rewire my fogs to a seperate switch so I can run them whenever I want....alone/low-beam/hi-beam

#37 ·
Finally finished repairing large crack on liberal lip.

It is also PITA since the lip originally has Clear VINYL wrapped all around :curse:
I had hard time removing them without leaving adhesive residue on the lip :bonk:

I'm going to test fit them once i primer them black. Still debating whether it should be black or white when i paint them with my paint gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.