Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1998, RS, Rally Blue 2.0 EJ20K
374 Posts
Dyne I wish you had more info on the wiring cause i'm hitting that overwhelming feeling doing my swap.

I'm wondering what I can cut away at this point. I'm merging mine with an 05 forester xs
Donor harness is 02 subaru outback l.l bean h6

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
578 Posts
Is that from a VDC car? I'm not 100%, but I believe the VDC ecu/tcu communicate a little differently, and it's more difficult or impossible to get it to run perfectly (you're going with a manual trans, I assume) or without codes or something... I'll see if I can find what I'm talking about, just a heads up anyway.
BTW, a VDC harness can be converted to non-VDC and then you can use a non-VDC ecu/tcu.

If you do want a clean, no CEL swap you'll need to retain the following from the EZ30 harness:
-Everything between ECU/TCU/O2snsr/Motor. There are a few wires from this group that branch off to other parts of the harness. Some can be terminated and some can be merged iirc.
-Fuel tank sensor inputs. Should be able to steal the signals that the old ecu was using, always works for me.
-Gauge outputs. Engine speed signal, coolant temp, oil pressure.
-Transmission outputs. The wires from the TCU to the trans will instead have to go to the previously mentioned dummy loads for the solenoids and temp sensor.
-Others. Self shutoff control, starter switch, there's a wire you'll need to add from the alternator to the ecu, main power and ground...

I'll have to dig through my diagrams and notebooks for the complete list, but if you have the wiring diagrams for both cars it should make sense.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the response this helps me out greatly.
Yeah this was a vdc car but things have changed since your swap. We can now flash the ecu and update it to not use the tcu/vdc components (so i'm told)
This gives me a decent idea on what i have to do to get started. I'm going to start labeling each wire just to document what i'm doing . I do have a break out of of both ecus.

2005 forester xs
https://www.xcceleration.com/pinouts/2005 forester/05ForSOHC_ECM.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2QWgnpKnLeLfC532gjORKNkhpDQiLz9ijnRv-E-eRRxNwn-1YgqvsaCpY

2002 h6 outback vdc
http://www.schnooze.com/files/legacy_manual/Legacy Wiring.pdf

2001 h6 outback (extra info)
https://www.busaru.com/attachments/article/143/2002 Legacy H6 ECM Pinout.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3IfKP-xl957wS_OEn7nHOwCv4EcSW9hoaQwG5fwr4Ty2Qi3HvbFSWe2Xo

Is that from a VDC car? I'm not 100%, but I believe the VDC ecu/tcu communicate a little differently, and it's more difficult or impossible to get it to run perfectly (you're going with a manual trans, I assume) or without codes or something... I'll see if I can find what I'm talking about, just a heads up anyway.
BTW, a VDC harness can be converted to non-VDC and then you can use a non-VDC ecu/tcu.

If you do want a clean, no CEL swap you'll need to retain the following from the EZ30 harness:
-Everything between ECU/TCU/O2snsr/Motor. There are a few wires from this group that branch off to other parts of the harness. Some can be terminated and some can be merged iirc.
-Fuel tank sensor inputs. Should be able to steal the signals that the old ecu was using, always works for me.
-Gauge outputs. Engine speed signal, coolant temp, oil pressure.
-Transmission outputs. The wires from the TCU to the trans will instead have to go to the previously mentioned dummy loads for the solenoids and temp sensor.
-Others. Self shutoff control, starter switch, there's a wire you'll need to add from the alternator to the ecu, main power and ground...

I'll have to dig through my diagrams and notebooks for the complete list, but if you have the wiring diagrams for both cars it should make sense.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
578 Posts
Yeah this was a vdc car but things have changed since your swap. We can now flash the ecu and update it to not use the tcu/vdc components (so i'm told)
Damn, I hope you were told right! That'd be a game changer. All that repinning for nothing...

Anyway, having all the pinouts is a start, but you'll likely need the full schematics. Lemme see here...

H6 Wiring. Lemme know if that doesn't match your harness. It's for a 2001, but I've used it for an 02 and an 03 and maybe one wire was a different color.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There is a facebook group called six speed swapped subarus. There is a guy that offers a flashing service. They have come a long ways! If you can flash your own ecu he will provide the rom

:projectsti.com:

Damn, I hope you were told right! That'd be a game changer. All that repinning for nothing...

Anyway, having all the pinouts is a start, but you'll likely need the full schematics. Lemme see here...

H6 Wiring. Lemme know if that doesn't match your harness. It's for a 2001, but I've used it for an 02 and an 03 and maybe one wire was a different color.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used a VDC car for my swap and didn't run into any problems. This was two years (10 000kms) ago now and she has been running great. Just take your time and if you started to get frustrated or overwhelmed take a break and come back to it at a later time.

Best of luck

Ryan

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
578 Posts
VDC has a larger TCU, as well as several extra wires from the ECU to the VDC module. I believe the VDC cars have this VDC module instead of the ABS module, but I could be wrong.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts