1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza LX
1,668 Posts
1995 Impreza LX
2.2l Auto AWD
a little summary of my car...

I found this car as kind of a fluke. My 1st car, a 95 Nissan pathfinder had met an untimely end. The frame rusted in half making a comfortable yet unsafe ride. Through the insistence of my parents I looked into Subaru. This just kinda popped up one day in the local paper. In 2004, I paid 2,500 out the door for this car w/ 96,000 on the clock. No rust, some minor damage from a front collision (bent bumper beam), and a dented trunk lid.

Sadly I lost many pictures of the progress this car has made due to a hard drive crash. I have some which are floating around, otherwise all the new pictures start after Oct 05.

The first mod to the car was a cone filter which yielded mixed results. It has since caused my CEL to be on permanently, even through repeated results to fix it.

The next step was suspension. R1 Racing coilovers. 450lb/in front and 400lb/in rear springs.

As I learned more about the car, and the cars heritage I longed for boost… the slow parts collection phase began.

The PP6 the greatest NA mod yet, but the worst choice to date. This is quite possibly the demise of my turbo setup.

That PP6 was nothing but trouble. Many late nights working with tiny wires and hot solder.

Through a group buy I snagged a great deal on some low freq. supertones. Red isn’t my thing so I painted em up.

With winter fast approaching I needed something to keep the salt off. Thank goodness for Fastline mudlfaps!

Flaunting the new 01 RS headlights.

Had some issues with the stock exhaust system… good thing I was getting ready to upgrade.

More parts are showing up.

Yikes, I am really getting some goodies now.

Ricer time. Figured go big or go home. 4.5” tip FTW!

Getting serious now. TD04 PnPed by Deadbolt, with some custom work on the wastegate actuator. GL turbo actuator = 5psi.

So close I can feel the boost. Helix 3” bellmouth and a custom 2” uppipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza LX
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Things are pretty snug in the engine bay, gotta keep that heat down. I also had this bad boy heat coated by Grimmspeed (before it was grimmspeed).

Tight fit indeed.

Oils gotta go somewhere. The local Rally Guru is brazing it up for me, in a late night bash.

Pretty ghetto huh? This could also be a reason for the failure of the turbo kit. Notice the copious amounts of JB weld, and random parts of the stock intake.

“your job is to make this (2” hose) fit over this (2” hose). Go.”

After a week of running straight DP, figured I should get an exhaust made.

The finished product.

A little bit of stealth.

At the Original Grimmspeed HQ. right after getting the DP coated. Maybe 1 or 2 weeks before the kit is pronounced a failure and I return to the drawing board.

Gotta have some dyno plots.

A quick clip of the car on the dyno:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=226371978927334823&hl=en

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza LX
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time for some new suspension. The Super stiff coils killed the stock struts. KYB AGX and STi Pinks (v5)

New suspension gave me a new issue….

Time to get some new wheels. 6 spokes are so much easier to clean snow and ice out of.

But white just wont cut it.

In the mean time, I couldn’t pass up a awesome deal on these.

JDM goodies just keep popping up at amazing prices.

Finally got some new rubber. Nokian Hakka RSis

Sexy time.

Got a new door, since my window track fell apart. It came of an ice racer. looks mean!

At the ice race I kinda lost P,R,N on the tranny. So I drove it ~300+ miles home, stopping on the way to get a new (V3 WRX) tranny. Got lucky I didn’t need to go backwards at all.

Good thing this happened over winter break. Took 5 days to get it in and working.

Old sub died. Time for a smaller one.

Gotta have some more rumble.

More pics as I find/take them.

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
Great project. Can you tune the PP6 to run a turbo setup?

I wish I could make my own custom exhaust pieces.

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza LX
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the PP6 worked pretty well NA. i noticed a huge difference in power. especially on teh highway. you can setup the pp6 to run a turbo kit, it takes some fun wiring to do it. since you need to run the deflection off of the map sensor not the throttle positioning sensor. the AVO kit from rallitek comes with the PP^ for management. i had some severe issues with the pp6 and my ecu so i got rid of it. it caused some really bad reliability issues that i could not cope with at all. so the kit came off with the pp6.

i may have some boost up my sleeve still though....

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza LX
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How do you like the Hakka's?
The Hakkas are one of the few purchases that I would lump under the "worth every penny" catagory. Quite honestly they are one of the best things i ever bought for my car. driving in snow is so much nicer now. the car is very predictable on snow and ice, also they provide a great deal of extra control (very easy to get straight after going sideways).

looks like your haivng alot of fun with the car
I love this car. It is so much fun it is unbelievable. it keeps on getting better and better.

I was looking into the PP6 for my LX too... I'm guessing it was hard to do? lol
Well I personally ran into alot of problems with the PP6. first off my ecu (single plug) had a different pin out than what rallitek told me so i had to get all the wiring diagrams for my car and figure the whole thing out on my own. (not fun) It worked pretty good for NA stuff. but when i wired in the timing control the shit hit the fan, and it was no longer fun or worth my time. I wouldnt get one again.

·
Registered
02 AW Rally Pig RS
31 Posts
awesome project i rallied out my 02 rs so much fun if you didnt have a turbo would the PP6 ecu been easier to install

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza LX
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The install is about the same either way. it just so happens that when you go turbo you need to do a little more work and change you deflection source. its been awhile but i think it was only like 8 solder joints to get it installed. if you arent going to run boost, or any really aggressive maps. i wouldnt even touch the timing stuff. it will save you time and it decreases the chances that your car will be messed up.

for NA you pretty much need:
MAF sensor
TPS sensor
T into ignitor for RPMs
Power
Ground

that should get you by with enough to alter fuel settings. which is all you really need to do while NA or for light boost.

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
The Hakkas are one of the few purchases that I would lump under the "worth every penny" catagory. Quite honestly they are one of the best things i ever bought for my car. driving in snow is so much nicer now. the car is very predictable on snow and ice, also they provide a great deal of extra control (very easy to get straight after going sideways).
Hakka's are supposed to be the best snow tire out there, I don't think I have ever seen a bad review of them anywhere. They are expensive however.

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
195/60-15 If they are cheaper, don't tell me, it would be too late and make me cry.

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
Sweet I got two set of tires for not much more than what those would probably cost after shipping. :D That DTD sale kicked ass.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts