Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
'99 gc8 project & '16 wrx
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after my retarded review of the DZ101's, this is my review of the Z1 Star Specs.

The real Z1 Star Specs are still the shit!!!!!!. Very sticky, very responsive, amazing grip. You can just listen to these things pick up pebbles like racing slicks, the are responsive at high and low speeds. They have amazing grip to the road at fast speeds, braking, and cornering. I can only imagine how well they will perform in autox. I went from the Hankook RS-2 (which I really liked) to these, and there are no comparisions. For the price they are on tire rack right now, they are a great choice if you just don't want to spend the money on the RE-01R's. All the reviews I have read put them right up there with the RE-01R's. I have not had the RE-01, but I highly recommend the tire. They are the best tire I have ever driven on

I will add however I did not have rubbing issues with the DZ101, but I do have minor rubbing in the rear with the Z1 Star Sepcs. I am running 225/45/17, on my RS with P1/AGX combo. I am running Leggy 53mm offset wheels. In the long run I will probably have to run extended studs and spacers. For now since I don't drive the car more then 1-2 days a week, it is and issue I can deal with.

I highly recommend them over the Hankook RS2 and I still beleive they are a better tire then the Falken 615's.

To add Discount gave me the DZ101 for half the price, so I got them with full warranty for $300. I will probably be putting these on the 92x. So in the end there little mishap provided me with a great deal, and two good sets of tires!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS Impreza 4 door
3,408 Posts
Youve had RT-615s too? How do they compare to those in terms of grip, wear, etc.? And what size wheel are LGT rims?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Youve had RT-615s too? How do they compare to those in terms of grip, wear, etc.? And what size wheel are LGT rims?
I have not had the RT-615s on my car. But my friend has them on his WRX. After driving on both, we both agree the Z1's are more responsive and have better grip. As far as wear I can't really compare. My RS-2 had maybe 3 grand on them. His RT-615s are only a month old.

So as far as grip, I am very impressed with the Z1's and I think the beat both the RS2's and 615's.

·
Registered
MY01 2.5 rs Black
696 Posts
I've run both. I think the 615s are more predictable, but the Z1s are grippier, and once you get used to handling them at their limit, easily as managable as the 615s. The extra responsiveness of the Dunlops seems to come from being stiffer, but causes them to break away more quickly than the Falkens, which seemed really linear in terms of grip-loss. That break away point on the Dunlops is surely higher as far as I can tell tho!

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS Impreza 4 door
3,408 Posts
Cool, thanks. One thing I noticed when I switched from my Goodyear GS-D3s to RT-615s is that the steering seemed to get mushy. I guess that is because of the softer compound but I cant complain because I got a butt load more maximum grip w/ 235s.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Erm, this looks a lot more like a Direzza DZ101 to me, i.e. not a Direzza Z1 of any kind.
Wow, now that I look at tire rack. I am wondering if you are right. I got them through discount, I ordered the Dunlp Z1 Star Specs, and I guess I never really checked the sidewall to verify they were right. I will have an update tonight on this, if they gave me the wrong freakin tire, I am going to be one pissed off guy!

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS, 95 Civic VX
3,756 Posts
Those are dz101. I just check discounttire and they don't carry 225/45 17 for z1

DZ101

Z1

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS, 95 Civic VX
3,756 Posts
On the plus side, when you get you're real Z1s, you should be even more impressed with them than you seem to have been with these.
Agreed. If you thought the dz101 are great. Wait till you get the z1. :clap:

·
Registered
2000 WRX STi VI Type-RA Ltd
181 Posts
I just check discounttire and they don't carry 225/45 17 for z1
I think the problem is that everybody is out of stock of that size right now. They have been *very* popular amongst the autox crowd in this size.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the problem is that everybody is out of stock of that size right now. They have been *very* popular amongst the autox crowd in this size.
yeah the stores inventory had them though. I know when we looked it up he looked up the right tire. but when he placed the order to get it from a denver store, he most have placed it for a different tire. They are going to have some explaining to do today, because thats BS. Thats what I get for not checking them.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
haha, this kind of removes all value from your review...
Yes Yes it does right now :). To tell the truth I am shocked how impressive these tires are. They have better response then my RS2's did, and the grip was pretty amazing. I guess we can put this review on hold for now :). Sorry guys..........To Be Continued..............

·
The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
5,783 Posts
Yeah, the new Star Specs are great. I've had mine for three weeks now and I'm just amazed at how much they stick! I had Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 before these and they were the worst tire I've been on in a while. I cannot stand the Falken Azenis, either (had them on the RS for a while). The Direzzas are the best buy for the money. If you can't afford them, the Kuhmo Ecsta MX is next.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts