Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
So....all of that 100lbs+ worth of crap on top, was yanked in favor of the 5lbs of flocked CF and fake leather on the bottom. (Cat not included).

The flocking came out OK. I didn't use enough glue on the very first piece of the dash. The others came out pretty nice and covered, though. I'm satisfied, but not thrilled. Such is the case of homebrewed experiments. Glare is greatly reduced, which was the main goal. The nylon definitely does the job out in the sunlight. I'm still glad I went this route instead of flat black paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
105 Posts
That NA rumble sounds mean, I like it!! Reminds me of my buddies NA one built by Ken Gushi, it was raw a felt faster than his STI swapped GC.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Here is everything in one spot. The gauge pod is nearly complete. The stitching on the flocked carbon fiber gauge pod was a bit of inspiration from the rest of the leatherwork.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
The L + R dash covers are in. The flocking does the job on taming the glare. I like how inconspicuous it looks from outside the car. That was another goal. I'll clean up more of the details over the winter.

20191207_163132.jpg 20191207_163208(0).jpg 20191207_163331.jpg 20191207_163320.jpg

The first of the bones are on the way :poop:.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
This part of the project is over the hump. Here is the lightweight "metric bobber" version of an interior I've been whittling and polishing for final fitment. The wiring will finish getting tucked and I'll paint the edges by the floorboard trim. Little stuff that takes an hour or two on weekends is all that's left. It's done taking up part of my home for storage of all that dead weight! I didn't want it in my car, or in my life. It's nice to have some living space back and free horsepower in the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
This is Boudreaux. He's from some bayou I can't pronounce. He's got a cousin in Cleveland who plays baseball. You might have heard of him. ;)

This is part of the rat rod influence I was aiming for. Like a good shitbox, nailing the end goal is like hitting the broad side of a barn. Just aim, you'll hit it. I had a little fun with about $20 worth of materials on this scarecrow of sorts. Fitted in place, you can see the intended context. Pictured by itself, the thing looks like a demonic puppet. Artwork is furthest from people's minds at first. This is realistic looking, but still purposely inaccurate. For 20 years, I've listened to the phrase "voodoo" thrown around about what I've done to the car. I adopted that and ran with it. Car guys are naturally a little superstitious, so this was some fun and a bit of a spiritual exercise.

I found some interesting reading trying to find ways to make Buddy look more realistic. The shrunken head and chicken feet are considered as protection or warding off of evil spirits in their respective cultures. You can search all this stuff, BTW. Shrunken heads are an Amazonian artifact called a "tsantsa". They are the skin of the head of a conquered warrior prepped like a leather hide but shaped like a head. The shrunken head is actually supposed to be completely sealed to prevent the spirit escaping to seek revenge. But, it's a $5 halloween decoration, and I wanted a little dark humor. I painted the head with light coats of acrylic. The cigar is a rolled up piece of cardboard and burned on the end a little. However, the head is still coated with ash according to Amazonian tradition to contain the spirit.

The Hoodoo (not voodoo) reference is actually with the cross and chicken feet. Voodoo and Hoodoo are actually different. Voodoo is the African tradition and Hoodoo is more Caribbean and southern US. They still share a lot. The relationship is akin to Catholics and Baptists having a few common traditions but different practice. Both would pray over the chicken feet for them to work and be charged like a battery. The feet are perceived as scratching away at evil spirits. A shrunken head doesn't actually represent anything at all here. The eye roll is more of a reference to being possessed by a spirit and gaining his power for the duration of the ceremony or experience. That bit of asymmetry with the eye adds to the possessed appearance.

A resin fox skull is on its way from China. I'll have a little more fun with the e-brake boot and dressing that up. Outside of that, I'm onto cleanup work. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #136 (Edited)
So, after the TBI, it took me a while to get around to feeling normal again. Design is something I always enjoyed and it became harder to execute a vision. Making or drawing the pictures in my head became more difficult. Mechnical, electrical, artistic, etc...all became difficult after being fairly easy all my life. A few years later, I'm coming back around to my old self again. A creative release after all of this feels good. I'm re-aligning a bit.

Ratfink here is an original 1960's keychain. I painted it up with the red and green color scheme with a few creative twists. I wasn't really aiming for a Joker look but that's what happened. A finished vision doesn't always look like the beginning or intended vision. I wanted further dimensional realism with the feel of the build being so audibly and physically different to begin with. I even painted the back which few people will ever see but may appreciate should they ever look that close. I clipped his ear with the leather punch used on the gator hide. His earring is a piece of the copper chain leftover from Boudreaux. After painting the body with the red and green, I went over it with a thin wash of black to add further dimension to the plastic.

Phideaux's skull is really a fishtank decoration. I haven't been shy about using fake shit in here, and this is no different. I used a little brown and black paint to give it an aged look. The beads and horsehair were more leftovers. The tophat didn't fit Boudreaux, but fit very well on Phideaux's noggin. If you look close, you'll see both assembled with leather cord. Where some ratrods go for the bolt look, I aimed more for leather work and and organic appearance.

The e-brake handle and pistol grip shifter have both been wrapped similar to a samurai sword for an added touch. The tactile feel isn't bad, either.

On to the next round.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Time for an update.

I've maxed the 440 injectors on gasoline after refining the throttle compensation mapping. I go full send at full throttle, 90-100kPa and reach 94% IDC. I'll add more pressure next and see how much more that gives me. The mapping is great, so I'd hate to have to readjust mapping again.

Here's a cruising video in the rain. I don't get on it that hard as these tires are 8yrs old.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts