Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

141 - 160 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
1,788 Posts
Just a PSA for all of those experiencing rain in the colder regions: Drive extra cautious due to black ice. I hit a patch tonight coming up to a stop sign and not even my winter tires could slow me down. Be safe out there!

·
Registered
1998 Impreza L Brilliant Red
2,113 Posts
heres a tip. Dont drive like this. And ps. Dont bash me, there was no cars around, except for that one parked, and trust me, i know not to hit it(it being a corvette too lol) and i had complete control of the car. I would never put my baby in danger.
This was the first time I drove the scooby in the snow, and it out-performed. I'm more than sure that i will probably never get stuck in snow, or have much of a problem getting anywhere. The engine braking helps a lot when going downhills, i slap it into 1 since its the 4 speed auto transmission(sadly).

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts
Just a random and fun snow driving tid bit:

My neighbor put some make-shift chains on the back tire of his moped and buzzed around after the storm a few days ago. I really don't know how he didn't crash, but it was all for shits and giggles.
Holy shit, thats hilarious. If he did'nt crash during the last storm, that should mean he'll be out during the next one.

You mean to tell us that you saw someone doing this and did'nt take pictures?

Shame on you! Next time we need pics!

·
Registered
2000 GC6 STM
190 Posts
i have a question or 2...

the other night... it snowed... just enough to cover the roads... so i headed to a parking lot 10 feet from my house... and was dissapointed in what the car couldnt do.

i tried to get it sideways and powerslide it... nothing.... i had the wheel full lock... and it would go in a straight line.. i thought perhaps there wasnt enough snow...

it just seemed that i didnt get any grip in the front at all.

i tried from a dead stop to attempt a donut... and failed. i turned the wheel and it went straight..

if i did this on gravel or dirt.. it would be a standing donut no problem...

so is it really just there wasnt enough snow?

i know how to drive in snow... so its not as i have to relearn how to drive... its more... ive never had an AWD car before.. and i wanted to have fun...

the parking lot is privetley owned and i have permission.. so... im not in any trouble.. im just disapointed in the car... maybe i expected more? i dont know... any insight?

oh yea... i have a 00 RS with RE92s on it.... so i know the tires arent the best.. but i was hoping for something. the ones on the back are new and the ones on the front are a little worn... should i rotate them around? and i have one steelie with a new blizzak on it for a spare.. its the proper size but i dont think it will help me unless i had more than one

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
i have a question or 2...

the other night... it snowed... just enough to cover the roads... so i headed to a parking lot 10 feet from my house... and was dissapointed in what the car couldnt do.

i tried to get it sideways and powerslide it... nothing.... i had the wheel full lock... and it would go in a straight line.. i thought perhaps there wasnt enough snow...

it just seemed that i didnt get any grip in the front at all.

i tried from a dead stop to attempt a donut... and failed. i turned the wheel and it went straight..

if i did this on gravel or dirt.. it would be a standing donut no problem...

so is it really just there wasnt enough snow?

i know how to drive in snow... so its not as i have to relearn how to drive... its more... ive never had an AWD car before.. and i wanted to have fun...

the parking lot is privetley owned and i have permission.. so... im not in any trouble.. im just disapointed in the car... maybe i expected more? i dont know... any insight?

oh yea... i have a 00 RS with RE92s on it.... so i know the tires arent the best.. but i was hoping for something. the ones on the back are new and the ones on the front are a little worn... should i rotate them around? and i have one steelie with a new blizzak on it for a spare.. its the proper size but i dont think it will help me unless i had more than one
Yeah it's the depth of the snow. Like I said above, snow/M+S tires derive their traction from the shear strength of the snow they compact when they drive over it. With just a dusting, there isn't enough snow to be compacted...so you're essentially just driving on ice. Snow tires would still have helped in this instance because the compound they're made out of gets more traction on ice.

·
Registered
2000 GC6 STM
190 Posts
thanx... so as i suspected.. there isnt enough snow....

glad it was the weather and not my car.. id be upset if there turned out to be a problem with the diff or something...

·
Registered
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero
76 Posts
My RS has terminal understeer in the snow unless I go into the corner on the power. Then it oversteers nicely. :)

·
Registered
2000 GC6 STM
190 Posts
just got done taking it out again.. with a little over 2 inches... it did much better this time. i actually had fun.

·
Registered
2000 GC6 STM
190 Posts
and tonight... i hit a curb :(

front right wheel has abend in it.. and a gouge in the tire.

and i think the alignment is off too... just hope i didnt bend anything other than the tire.

i have the lifetime alignment from firestone... so im not worried about a new alignment cost..

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
My RS has terminal understeer in the snow unless I go into the corner on the power. Then it oversteers nicely. :)
You need to learn weight transfer better. I can get my FWD L fully sideways into a corner. With our cars, feinting (scandanavian flick) works really well.

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
I heard somewhere driving without tires on the rims was the safest thing possible in snow.......
That's the biggest load of hooey I've ever heard. I would expect it came from the fact that tireless wheels are kinda like ice skates, but cars don't drive like ice skaters.

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
and tonight... i hit a curb :(

front right wheel has abend in it.. and a gouge in the tire.

and i think the alignment is off too... just hope i didnt bend anything other than the tire.

i have the lifetime alignment from firestone... so im not worried about a new alignment cost..
but what did you do wrong to hit the curb?

·
Registered
03 WRX Wagon
998 Posts
I heard somewhere driving without tires on the rims was the safest thing possible in snow.......

:lol:

Uhh. You heard wrong...

Thanks for that tho it's too early for me to function here at work.

Anyways, I just got my snow tires put on yesterday. I had a set of falken ziex tires on and I wanted to see what kind of traction I would get before I took them off... Well the difference is night and day. Even with cheap snow tires, the ziex couldnt give me ANY stopping traction. Ice? Forget it. I had zero traction in Ice as well.

Once the winters got on (tire-easy.com "triangle" tires cheap as they come) they grip like I'm on dry pavement. They stop even very well on ice. I tried a panic stop from about 20mph on my road (covered in ice) and to my suprise only slid about 5 feet before abruptly getting traction and stopping me dead in my tracks.

Now I realize that won't help much when you have to panic stop in front of traffic because you werent paying attention, but it sure does help.

My advice?

Keep your distance.
Don't be rushed for anything.
Ease the brakes.
No sudden movements (ease the brakes, steering and gas)
Be defensive, not aggressive.
^If you take any advice from me at all, it's that. If you aggressivly drive in the winter, you are 100% more likely to hit someone or something.

My .02.

-Andrew

141 - 160 of 342 Posts