Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have driven both the new model 2.5RS (02 or 03) and the WRX can you give me your impressions of how the two cars are alike or not alike?

I would love to get a WRX but the 2.5RS may be more practical as far as expense and insurance goes. I am wanting to hear if the 2.RS is still really fun to drive and still pretty powerful. Any opinions you have on the two cars and how they relate to each other in the "fun" factor is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kenny

P.S. I should finally have time to test drive both this Saturday.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5 RSTi
324 Posts
I have drive both the 02 WRX and my 2000 RS. I know its not the new body style but the engine and most of the components are the same. The WRX is obviously faster at the top end. However, low end the RS's torque feels amazing. Until 4k rpms in teh WRX doesn';t really feel very fast. My RS is unbelivably fun to drive and the low end torque is awesome. The WRX flies once it hits full boost. Both cars are extremly fun to drive and i like the feeling of the low end of the RS. If u buy a 2.5 rs u won't be dissapointed, it still has plenty of punch and a few basic mods and u will have a pretty fast car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information! How much of a difference is there between 60-100 mph. I can't ever see a need or reason to want to go fast than that. I have driven a 1999 911 carrera and although the car is amazingly fast, you can rarely go above 100 mph and be safe. So if the 2.5rs is still really fun up to that speed I don't think I would need the WRX for $5k more....

Unfortunately I don't really feel comfortable even testing out the car at that speed during a test drive...

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i haven't driven a new body style RS either, but the WRX and the old RS are both extremely stable at high speeds. in fact, you won't really notice that you're doing triple digits if you don't look at the speedo. of course, the WRX will get to triple digits far faster. on the highway, the WRX is way more fun. for auto-x or esp. rally-x, i'd take the RS any day. lag can be a killer in the WRX in the tight twisty stuff whereas the RS has lots of low end torque. granted, it falls on its face above 5k rpm or 4-5th gears at any speed, but lower speed stuff its very good.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
anything in which the WRX is off boost :) basicly, below 3500rpm. lower in the higher gears. also, keep in mind the WRX has taller gears. right off the line you'll be ahead of a WRX for a bit but it won't last long. its most pronounced in low rpm corners, esp. if its a loose surface sweeper. the WRX will wallow in its small, low CR engine off boost, and then have a sudden surge of power on oversteer once the turbo is spooled. unless, of course, the WRX is running anti-lag...

basicly, the RS is fun until about 60. above that, its still good but certainly not on par with a WRX. now, if you took that extra $5k and put it into a turbo for the RS, it would be a very, very different story.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know this has been asked before. But what issues will the turbo have once the car has 100,000 miles on it. If I plan on keeping the car that long is that a consideration?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts