Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i drive around town i like to try to keep the RPM's around 2k. and when i look at my OEM vaccum gauge it will go to about 10-25hg/cm. its hard to explain. lets say im at a light. i take off like normal and if i shift at 2k in every gear, when i need to accelerate i put more load on the engine, vaccum gauge, so there isnt alot of vaccum. so does this mean i am putting more load on the engine by being in a higher gear?

now lets say from a stop i start like normal and i shift at 3k in every gear. until i get up to lik 30-35mph, my vac gauge stays around 40hg/cm. so im not putting that much load on the engine. so im not on the gas so much. BUT!!! since i am at a higher RPM (2.5-3k) and using less gas/not putting so much load on the engine. would that be better then crusing at 1.5-2.5k (lower rpm) but using more gas?

sorry if i explained it bad. just ask me a question and i will do my best to answer it

i am getting around 22mpg city, and i see people as high as 27city. every thing is up todate (maintance)

· Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
9,883 Posts
This is exactly what I wanted to ask, but never got around to it. I have AT, but generally you can control it shifting at 2 or 3K, depending on how much you press down on the gas.

I myself have been shifting as low as it can (about 2K) and also get about 21-22MPG. EJ22, not 25 for me. Everything is up to date mechanically for me too.

I can't comment on your 'problem' but, we can both do this... fully fill up your tank. Then, shift at 2K RPM and do this for about 100 miles or so of driving. You know, just whenever your tank gets that low, you don't need to do it all at once. Then on your next fill up, try shifting at 3K and see what mileage it gives you. I think I may try this soon, but keep putting it off.

· Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
13,557 Posts
For best gas mileage, I say shift at ~2500-3000 rpm, and drive at ~2000 rpm. No lower though, if you bog it's worse.

· Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
For best gas mileage, I say shift at ~2500-3000 rpm, and drive at ~2000 rpm. No lower though, if you bog it's worse.
perfect! thanks, now lets say i have to go up a small hill or something like that. would it be better to downshift or just go a little below 2k? so when it feels like it bogs just downshift right?

EDIT: what does "hg/cm" stand for when measureing the engine vaccum?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.