Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 impreza 2.5rs sedan
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some searching, but I can't seem to find an issue like mine. I know a bad throwout bearing will make noise with clutch pedal pressed, and input shaft bearing with clutch engaged, however my case is a bit different. Car is a 2000rs sedan mt with 110000k. When in idle no noise, clutch pedal pressed no noise, when in gear (any gear) I have a whine, bud only when on the throttle and the clutch engaged, if while moving I press the clutch whine stops, if while letting off throttle in gear noise stops. In neutral and revving no noise. WTF! Is this it's driving me crazy. If you have ever seen a video of the Subaru wrc car from the cabin you can hear a whine noise from those cars, that's exactly how mine sounds. Also the sound is cimming from mid to front of car, not rear.

·
Registered
2001 AW 2.5RS
247 Posts
I have the SAME issue. Guess mine is the flywheel? Previous owner put in an Exedy OEM replacement. Already know something is wrong with the flywheel because it chatters if you're not 100% perfect taking off in 1st or reverse or at very low RPMs.

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
My car whines in first gear while moving, in gear, clutch engaged, and no throttle...and quieter but still audible in second, same conditions. No wines in other gears though. For what its worth.

·
Registered
2000 impreza 2.5rs sedan
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it is the front diff. I am picking up a used rs tranny this sat for 450 bucks, just wanted to know if its better to just buy the whole trans or will it be cheaper to source a front diff? do they even come seperately?

·
Registered
1998 Impreza Wagon Black 5sp.
33 Posts
When ever there is a noise caused by acceleration load on the drive line, it is most likely the ring and pinion gear, or a carrier bearing in the differential, as the teeth mesh in different areas on accel vs. decel.

·
Registered
2001, 2.5 RS, Sedona Red
7 Posts
Yes it is the front diff. I am picking up a used rs tranny this sat for 450 bucks, just wanted to know if its better to just buy the whole trans or will it be cheaper to source a front diff? do they even come seperately?
So I ended up picking up a used trans as well when I had this issue. I spend about $1100 for mine with shipping. The trans I picked up was a Forester Trans. There are a few different models that will fit the 2.5rs. The Trans I grabbed only had about 50,000 miles on it, and it was from Foreigns Engines Inc, I was very happy wiht the overall tansaction. I have had this trans in my car for just over 30,000 miles and it has been running great. I am in sales so as you can tell by the date of my last post, I drive about 30,000 miles/yr. I ended up having a local shop intall the trans, they charged about $600 for the install. That was not too bad IMO. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
2000 impreza 2.5rs sedan
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was looking at forester trannys as well caz they were cheaper, but the rs one showed up so i grabbed it. You paid a lot of money man but I guess its caz it only had 50k on it, the one I'm geting has 100k but I only need it to last until next year when I do my swap :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get the whole trans, as the front diff is in the transmission itself, then you can sell the old trans to a shop or rebuild it yourself with goddies to install at a later date. Make sure the trans you get has the same front diff gear ratio as your car currently has, or there will be irreconcilable differences between the front of your car and the rear.

·
Registered
2000 impreza 2.5rs sedan
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its off the same year rs and with the rear diff sa well so i think i should be good. Speaking of rebuilding my old trans, in a scale 1 to 10 what difficulty lvl would u say the job is. I have removed couple of engines and trannys b4 and done some timing belts, but nvr tackled a trans overhaul b4

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, the rear if bad will make the same noise, as it is the same basic mechanical device. As far as rebuilding a trans, I know you have to crack/split the case length wise, not sure if you need a special tool for that or just a hammer and flathead. And once apart, Im sure there is some bearings that will need to be pressed out/in. If you replace the old one and have it lying around, and don't need it back and working immediately, go ahead and start taking it apart, piece by piece, Im sure there are some how-to threads, and once you run into a part that needs to be pressed, take it to a machine shop. I'm not sure about the 5mt, but for my tremec in my camaro there are a whole bunch of goodies available to prime out the transmission. I know of a ~20/80% torque split rear biased center diff for the Subies off the top of my head, wouldn't oversteer be nice?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.