Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, 199
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a driveability problem after an engine and manual transmission R/R. The car is a 2000 Subaru 2.5RS Impreza. What went in is a 2000 2.5RS Impreza longblock with my original intake manifold and harness. The transmission is from a 1998 2.5RS Impreza with the same plugs that plug into the 2000 harness.

The codes that I pulled are,
P0500 - Veh Speed Sensor A Malfunction
P1540 - Manf Cntrl Veh. Spd. Idle Speed Control Auxiliary Inputs
P1518 - Manf Cntrl Veh. Spd. Idle Speed Control Auxiliary Inputs
P0507 - Idle Control System RPM High

The scanning tool is a Matco MD9000. In the other feature I/M Monitors (which I don't know how to read) the "Catalyst Mon" is "inc" and so are Evap System Mon and Oxygen Sens Mon.

What happens is that when in neutral and parked, the RPM is fine and can rev smoothly. When I start to move, forward or reverse, the RPM gauge drops to zero and the ABS light comes on, but the engine is still running. When I step on the brake pedal, the RPM rises slightly. With the brake pedal pressed, a shift into reverse causes the RPM to drop to zero the same way as before.

While driving, the engine stumbles a bit when I let off the throttle to shift. The RPM Gauge stays at zero most of the time and so does the Speedometer gauge. Occasionally they will read actual engine and mph speed. RPM gauge also drops to zero between shifts.

The weird thing that happened is that when I was nearing the end of the test drive around the block, maybe total of 2 mins time, the aftermarket alarm siren went off. The alarm system was disconnected by the body shop who repaired the car and I'm not sure if it did anything to the system. And I don't have any access codes to the alarm because it was installed two owners before me. I tried disconnecting the alarm system but it just disables my power locking doors and the driveability problem is still there.

I've checked all the harness plugs to make sure they were all plugged in. All the grounds that I could find are grounded. The brakes are still mushy and need to be bled but I'm not sure that mushy brakes would mess with the ABS. I will try to bleed them when I find someone to help me pump the brakes.

I don't know what else to do, it may be that the 98 transmission has a different speed sensor, hence the speed sensor malfunction code. But I didn't want to go changing parts without any diagnosis. If you have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza OBS
50 Posts
i got the p0507 code after changing my spark plugs...not sure how to fix it though..the mechanic dude said that he can fix it for 80 bucks..and i was like "i can figure something out"..it just has to do with the idle..heard him say something about opening it up and cleaning it...so im doin research now..haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts