Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 158 Posts

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
So if they're only on there for looks, does that mean they're not really drilled? Because i'm quite sure they are drilled all the way through, and whether they're there for looks or not if your theory is right then NW OBS is also right in saying that according to your theory many of the daily driver built high end vehicles with drilled rotors are also unsafe.
The only reason high end performance cars have drilled rotors are for lighter rotors and looks. Plus, most of these cars have huge rotors. I am sure NW OBS does not have the same rotor size on his Subaru that these cars have. Most of the people that buy the high end cars can afford to replace their rotors every 6 months before they start cracking.

Not sure why you're so against one person using slotted rotors on his DD, he has substantial and physical proof that it has helped him, how do you argue against that? No you actually did crash you're just brainwashed?
He isn't running slotted rotors, he is running a cross drilled rotor.

It's pretty low to call out a father by telling him he's a risk to his own kids man, not cool.
He brought up his kids to prove a argument about braking, I simply responded saying he should probably get rid of the rotors if he cares that much. I have provided enough information that proves drilled rotors have no effect on braking but only on weight/looks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
What do you know that every single race team (amateur or professional) do not???

Slotted, drill rotors dissipate heat faster and more effectively. Heat = fade, fade equals crash. If you add high quality brake fluid to the mix, you have eliminated another weak spot that causes brake fade (I use ATE DOT 4 and alternate between Gold and Blue). This way when you flush and see the color change you know your done! Flush your brakes once a year and you will have NO issues with moisture. Add SS brake lines and a master cylinder brace and you now own the best braking system money can buy, that also has great pedal feel.

Overkill on a DD? Not when I am running with my kids in the back and some idiot pulls a move I avoid by feet! Money and time well spent IMO.

This.

Also, your sig is one of those "Memorable quotes that stay with you a lifetime," of mine.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,226 Posts
To be quite honest, I don't know who/what to believe.

But when you see things like this

Brembo launches GT-R High Performance braking system
on brembo.com

It's obvious where confusion comes from.
It's good? No, it's Bad? No.. It's good!! No.. it's bad?!!
Somebody make up our minds!

·
Premium Member
06 Lexus Rx400h
1,661 Posts
not to get into this sword fight but from what I have researched slotted rotors did perform better and lasted just as long as "blank" rotors. But Drilled rotors really didn't show any improvements over stock but also didn't show to "stress crack" either, but did show to wear a little faster then "stock". It was the early EBay rotors that were failing and causing many to believe they were just bad news all together.

so I would buy slotted rotors without any worries of failure or quick fatigue. I also believe that the hype of the bad rotors and the "tuner" crowed are the ones that gave these a bad name and stereotyped them as a ricer, faddish modification that didn’t do anything. Im also pretty sure top end car companies that have been in racing since day one know what they are doing and wouldn't question them on reliability.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
My philosophy has always been to do whatever the WRC guys do, because world rallying is as close to every day driving as you can get, dirt, snow, mud, asphalt, potholes etc

except the speeds are typically twice as fast and the abuse on the chassis tenfold

see any holes? (looked for extra large files so you can zoom in)

http://90right.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/swrt-cata08a.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/2006FOS_-_Burns'_Subaru_Impreza_WRC_-_002.jpg

http://cdn-www.rsportscars.com/foto/2004geneva/mitsubishiwrc_02.jpg

here are some touring cars

corvette

http://huabao.autogens.com/pics/C/Corvette/2007-Chevrolet-Corvette-C6R/wallpaper/2007-Chevrolet-Corvette-C6R-Pit-Crew-1280x960.jpg

i'm not sure what this car is but fuck mang, you see any holes or slots?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2587960159_601473216b_o.jpg

whatever you see on the street, pure marketing hype

the "big boys", the ones apperantly i have no clue about, dont use this cross drilling fancy tech

just a nice thick slab of solid steel

have a good day

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
To be quite honest, I don't know who/what to believe.

But when you see things like this

Brembo launches GT-R High Performance braking system
on brembo.com

It's obvious where confusion comes from.
It's good? No, it's Bad? No.. It's good!! No.. it's bad?!!
Somebody make up our minds!
Because it is a top of the line system for a car wanting to shed weight. Also, this gets all of the riceboys to buy their super small thin cross drilled rotors. They probably cost $15-20 to produce and sell them for $100-120 each. $80 profit. However, real race teams needing to save this weight and lose a tiny bit of braking performance over blanks want it.

I already have posted enough information to easily prove it. Racing engineers who have real experience with braking systems will tell you the same thing.

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Do you realize how many times the two of you have contradicted yourself in one thread?

1st those rotors are put on only for "track ready cars, not DD's". Then when I list all the DD's that the best manufactures of cars in the world use on their DD's it becomes "is there only for bling"! :jerkit:

Which is it guys?

Drilled or slotted, either will work to disapate gas (as you quote above states). Drilled work best to evacuate water. I use a combo of both (I live in Oregon where the road is wet 80% of the time).

Finally, of course open wheeled are using smooth disk, they are running carbon/carbon these days! They are frail enough already and explode on a pretty regular basis.

·
Registered
impreza base!
780 Posts
I'm not even sure what the argument is anymore, is it that drilled rotors aren't safe? or that there is no added benefit to drilled rotors?

from whats understood the concept of a drilled rotor is to keep the rotors cooler. the rotor only needs to be cooler when it gets up to higher temps from braking at high speeds. A DD shouldn't see anything near these temperatures to make use of needing a rotor to cool down. If you have children in the car and your rotors are getting up to crazy high temperatures to need or even make use of the rotors needing to be cooled then you shouldn't have kids in your car.

plenty of cars on the road without drilled rotors don't experience brake fad which all a drill rotor does to prevent. I personally feel it doesn't HURT to have drilled rotors on your DD but don't think it'll prevent you from stopping any sooner when it comes to driving around on the street.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
I just threw out a set of drilled rotors... they were cracked in several places.

I've used blanks all my life and I've never had any problems. I've tried drilled and slotted and never went back to them... they crack, they warp and their life expectancy is very low.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,226 Posts
^ noTe
I wasn't advocating those brakes.
Only pointing out where confusion get's created.
When a big company like Brembo puts up ads like that, it's clear what it will make people think.
Then, to read articles against them. Only to see more and more of those ads!
It makes people go :bonk:

<-- Side Note
I've Never experienced brake fade in my car on stock rotors with Axis Metal Master pads. But, I've never tracked, only AutoXd.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
I have the wilwood 6/4's slotted and drilled rotors in the front on my wagon and I do drive it on the street, if you have this kit you know wilwood doesnt offer anything but slotted and drilled anyways. I went with the wilwood setup because it was cheaper than 4/2 pots which is what I wanted but I needed some serious braking power asap. Problem is, with that nar of a brake setup I realized I had other issues that needed to be addressed because my car originally came with drums and I converted to discs. So I finally found a non-abs 4 wheel disc proportioning valve in the UK, as its a rare part there and doesnt even exist here. Not only does it effect your braking under emergency condition, it also effects your braking when cornering. You take 2 L's with 4/2pots, one with the valve and one with the stock valve, youll get outbraked into the corners all day long.

After going through all that, my buddy with brembos, e-bay blanks, and pagids swapped cars. My kit is no better IMO, I can fit a lot more wheels than brembos, but down the road the brembos would be cheaper. Street stopping power we were dead equal, unfortunatly he sold the car before we got to test on a track.

One downside to have big fat brakes on the street. You can stop a lot faster than that truck behind you, so when you slam on the brakes, you better keep one eye on the rear view. Its not about braking faster on the street as it is doing the best possible move for the situation. That 1/2 second hesitation will cost you more than having a badass fancy brake setup.

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
^ noTe
I wasn't advocating those brakes.
Only pointing out where confusion get's created.
When a big company like Brembo puts up ads like that, it's clear what it will make people think.
Then, to read articles against them. Only to see more and more of those ads!
It makes people go :bonk:

<-- Side Note
I've Never experienced brake fade in my car on stock rotors with Axis Metal Master pads. But, I've never tracked, only AutoXd.
Brembo will NEVER ever sell cross-drilled rotors with any of their brakes kits unless you tell them otherwise.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Do you realize how many times the two of you have contradicted yourself in one thread?

1st those rotors are put on only for "track ready cars, not DD's". Then when I list all the DD's that the best manufactures of cars in the world use on their DD's it becomes "is there only for bling"! :jerkit:

Which is it guys?
When I say "track ready cars" in my mind, I am thinking about the cars like the Porsche 997 GT2, Porsche Carrera GT, Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, etc. I did not know they put drilled rotors on the slower Porsche and Benz. No matter what, they only do it for looks and to save some rotating weight.

Drilled or slotted, either will work to disapate gas (as you quote above states). Drilled work best to evacuate water. I use a combo of both (I live in Oregon where the road is wet 80% of the time).
WRONG. The ONLY benefit of having a drilled rotor is to save rotating weight and the looks.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
<-- Side Note
depending on how powerful your car is, and track setup, Auto-X may actually be more demanding of your brakes than a track day.

on some tracks an under powered or moderately powered car may not even need to brake, or brake very little (a slight drop of maybe 10-20 kph)

with the long stretches in between turns at high speed providing much greater ventilation, cooling the rotors/components.

least of all no track event (with the exception of an emergency) forces you to come to a complete stop (sometimes on two wheels) from 60-70kph...

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
This.

Also, your sig is one of those "Memorable quotes that stay with you a lifetime," of mine.
If you have nothing important or factual to add to this thead, don't make random pointless and off-topic replies.

This thread contains information that people need to know. It is important that people know what they are getting into with rotors.

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
WRONG. The ONLY benefit of having a drilled rotor is to save rotating weight and the looks.
OK, you already acknowledged you didn't know that drilled rotors were on so many DD's from Mercedes and Porsche (both built for speed and safety). So, they are present for more then bling and weight loss, although as I mentioned before, saving rotating mass weight (unsprung) is ALWAYS a good thing and yet another of their benefits.

Now go figure this, if the drilled rotors don't evacuate water better, ask yourself why Mercedes would spend this money on R&D and technology? Every car that MBZ makes with drilled rotors has this function > When you are driving in the rain (determined by your wipers being on) the calipers automatically and intermittently press against the drilled rotors to dry the brakes in case an emergency stop is needed!

Is there any argument that MBZ makes one of the safest cars on the road?

I guess they have been duped too...? :facepalm:

21 - 40 of 158 Posts