Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Sil
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start a thread about drift set-up and to compare notes with you guys. I am most interested in set-ups concerning GC8, GC6, and GM6. (Note that I am using the term "Drift" as the Japanese sideway driving technique, not the "real" racing term where the car are drifting toward the outside line due to slip angle.)

In the past, I have thought that it is not possible to spin out or drift with AWD. As I learnt more about driving and suspension set-up, I realized that it is very possible to spin out or drift with AWD; simply set-up your car for neutral. Two event occured in my life that changed my perspective.

Event 1. I was driving down the freeway interchange a year ago when I decided to take a corner faster than normal. In order to increase turn radius to keep up the speed, I steered toward the outside turn, then steered toward the inside. The car rotated quite well, but apparently it didn't stop rotation. The back wheels lost traction and I recovered by counter-steering. I was quite scared afterward and am extremely glad I recovered. This is when I realized that I will learn the drift technique . . . for safety reason alone, if not anything else. I later learnt that this is called a feint drift.

Car Set-up Note: 20mm rear sway bar, heavy duty mounts, stock end-links, Kumho 712 summer tires (stock size), 16x7 stock rims, stock tire pressure (32 PSI cold front, 29 PSI cold back).

Event 2. I was at the AROSC driving school last weekend. I set the car up as neutral as possible. When I got onto the wet skid-pad, I kept the steering wheel still and modulated the speed and circle using throttle. When I'm step on the gas, the car plows. I was able to get the car to rotate when I let off the throttle (lift throttle over-steer). If I didn't counter steer, the car would spin 180 degrees. If I did counter-steer, the recovery was extremely easy to perform.

Car Set-up Note: 20mm rear sway bar, heavy duty mounts, heavy duty end-links, Bridgestone RE-92 all season tires (stock tire, stock size), 16x6.5 WRX rims, 40 PSI hot front, 34 PSI hot back.

My co-worker said my car is closer to neutral now, but still have a way to go. He said that my car is far from neutral compared to his Cataham Super 7. He recommends that I try 22mm and 24mm settings on the sway-bar. I don't know where the limit is. What do you guys think?

I know it's possible to get our cars to drift. I seen videos of the Subaru 180 degree drift on pavement and recently I seen videos of Japanese pro drivers drift with a GC8. I look forward to hearing your experiences. And if you have none, this post contains a lot of information to get you started on experimenting. Disclaimer bla-bla-bla: Do experiment responsibly and do it safely on a skid pad at a driving school, not on the streets.

Chieh

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
basically, you want to set your car up to oversteer, not be neutral. drifting is about gratuitous oversteer, not being fast. anyway, that being said, it is plenty easy to get a stock RS to slide. ok, its alot easier to get it to understeer :) just drive poorly. be real jerky with your inputs. get some speed up, do a scandanavian flick and as you bring it back stab the brakes. you'll be able to get it sideways. as for actual car setup, you want high spring rates in the rear. this refers of course to actual springs and swaybar rates. also, either run very low or very high tire pressures in the rear compared with the front.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Sil
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10th Warrior said:
get it sideways. as for actual car setup, you want high spring rates in the rear. this refers of course to actual springs and swaybar rates.
Does this mean higher spring rates in the back than in the front?

Chieh

·
Registered
27 Posts
Basically you want to shift the bias of the suspension to oversteer. That means stiffening up the rear springs or softening the front. Putting a bigger sway bar on the back.

Also, you can do this with alignment, I have -2 deg camber in the front, -1 deg camber in the rear, 0" toe out in the front, and 1/16" toe out in the rear.

I enter a corner slightly faster than I should, use a little trail braking and the rear comes right out even on dry pavement. I haven't actually drifted it, because it's not the fastest way to corner, but it helps to have the rear step out a bit to counter the understeer that happens under full-throttle.

Chris M.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been curious about drifting for some time now, but have never had the opportunity to really learn how to perform it. Currently I'm driving an Integra Type R and a '95 GTI, both of which being fwd prevents me from trying it. In the snow I could get my GTI's tail to come around, but I would never be able to hold it in a drift, even in the snow. However, I've been contemplating getting a GC8 for awhile, one of the reasons being that I could drift with it.
Knowing nothing about how to drift, I'm wondering how to initiate a drift, how to hold a drift, how to follow your desired line while drifting, etc. Can anyone help me? Thanks very much.

·
Registered
99 2.5rs black dimond pearl
406 Posts
If your gonna get a car just to drift, I dont think an RS would be the best idea, get something like a 240sx, AE86, or RX-7. Or you could just steal some trays from McD's and do some sliding in you FWD's:D thats always cool :stinky:

Anthony C

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had considered getting something like an FC, FD or AE86, and really, if I can pick one up cheap enough, I might get one anyway. The only problem with the FD is that I'm sort of long-legged and I just barely fit, consequently heel-and-toing is just not going to happen. Other than that, I also wanted something for maybe a little rallyx, and just something with awd for the winter. The RS seems like a good multipurpose vehicle in that respect. Plus, with the AVO turbo I'm planning (if I get the RS), it should be one quick thing too, something the FC and 86 would not be.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Haha sounds like you really want a broad spectrum of driving.

theres always the lexus SC300, and you could swap the supra TT into it :biggest: , but the RS is probably the most pratical for MD, expecialy with the snow.

Anthony C

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn't want to tear up a Lexus, but I don't fit in the SC300 anyway, my head hits the roof. I really do want like 10 different cars, each for a slightly different purpose, and the way my dad is, I tear through cars like nobody's business. I'm 21 now, and I've had...eight different cars. No more than 2 at a time, and I only crashed one (my first), the rest were sold and at the time were in good condition. Now though I'm trying to narrow it down to like 3 or 4 cars that I'll keep for a long time...heh heh heh

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know how the hell that got so off topic, but yeah man, PM or email me and we'll talk about all that nonsense. To bring it back, who can tell me how to drift? Anything, awd, rwd, whatever.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sorry if I got off topic but if you want to drift serously you should start with a good car for it. And I was just giving you some ideas of the top cars, and a RS isnt really on that list. It can be done but the RS is underpowered for drifting. Since you are able to afford multiple cars, you would be better off getting a cheap 240sx or something that your not to worried about, cause your gonna beat the hell out of, expecially if you asking how to drift on this board.

Your best bet would be to goto some auto-x's and just play around. dont worry about times.

here are some techniques:
http://www.driftsession.com/technique.htm

Anthony C

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't worry about getting off topic, I love delving into ANY bit of automotive nonsense. I hadn't considered the whole beating the car up, but you're right, I'll most likely hit a lot of stuff. As far as power is concerned, I was going to be going with a turbo setup on the RS anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem. And hopefully I will be doing some autoxing this spring and summer, so I'll goof around there. I'm trying to just improve my car control overall, road racing, dragging (just a little though), drifting, whatever. I could rally in the RS too, or RallyX or whatever it is. Anyway, thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Your best bet would be to goto some auto-x's and just play around. dont worry about times.
most every auto-x group will frown on this. some will kick you out. it slows down the whole event and forces the workers to run after alot more cones.

·
Registered
52 Posts
10th Warrior said:
most every auto-x group will frown on this. some will kick you out. it slows down the whole event and forces the workers to run after alot more cones.
Yea the SFR group doesn't like it much. A very competative group i'd say.

They have been times where large groups have clapped for a sweet drift though. I remember watching adrian do think once it was freaking amazing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
...about the whole drift setup thing:

big rear sway bar (24mm+) and/or stiff rear springs,

and if you're willing to shell out around $100, go to pepboys, and get two of the highest miliage tires they have installed on the rear of the car. I had a set on my saturn; they last forever, are relitively cheap, and slip like hell; especially in the wet. If the big rear roll bar and the hard rear tires don't kick the back out easily, ya just have to work on your technique a little :)

here's a pic of my car after the back end broke out around a turn, and I ended up in a ditch... never even used the brakes to get the back out, just the sway bar was enough...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/li350/vwp?.dir=/My+Photos&.src=ph&.dnm=Ditch+friendly.jpg&.view=t&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/li350/lst?&.dir=/My+Photos&.src=ph&.view=t

1 - 16 of 16 Posts