Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STi Black w/Gold Rims
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I bought a cheap F1 Racing """"""stage 1""""" clutch. This is the fartest thing from a stage 1 clutch. The pressure plate is garbage, it has a weird drop off point after engagement/disengagement. When I took it out to replace it with a quality made in Japan Exedy stock clutch (muuuuuch better now!) the spring fingers on the F1 clutch were all at different heights!! that explains the crappy functioning. So DO NOT buy F1 Racing clutches from Gripforce (Gripfarce)! Cus what you get is a cheap Valeo stock ripoff clutch that is spray painted blue. The guy at Gripfarce told me that F1 Racing was their own brand and their use their own materials. Basically what he meant was they buy cheap Valeo clutches in bulk and use the own materials (blue spray paint) to magically turn them into Stage 1 and Stage 2 clutches!!!! You will be highly dissapointed with this clutch, DONT BUY! Plus I bought an Exedy flywheel from them, they said it was suppossed to be 18 lbs., when I got it, it weighed 24 lbs!!!! They said that I used the wrong scale! Apparently you need to use a shipping scale when you want something accuatlly weighed. So next time you weigh yourself in the bathroom, take off 6 lbs!! Make this one sticky or whatever they call it to have it known throughout the net that F1 Racing Clutches are a cheap made up knock off brand and to not have anyone buy them! thanks!

·
Premium Member
01 rs coupe. BRP
1,558 Posts
I'll second not buyign these. I still have mine in but I can't stand the way it feels.I've owned it for 30k miles and If I could find a good enough deal on a replacement I would.

·
Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,535 Posts
silver01rs-t has a stage 2 in his car right now...that clutch is a P.O.S.

same weird drop off point. and slips in every gear.

we are waiting on his spec clutch to show up.

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
What do you have done to your car? The OEM clutch works fine for me, and I put it through an absurd amount of abuse... I think my current one has over 300 autoX runs (plus rallyX, track days...etc) on it now... in 18 months :lol:

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
A couple weeks ago I bought a cheap F1 Racing """"""stage 1""""" clutch. This is the fartest thing from a stage 1 clutch. The pressure plate is garbage, it has a weird drop off point after engagement/disengagement. When I took it out to replace it with a quality made in Japan Exedy stock clutch (muuuuuch better now!) the spring fingers on the F1 clutch were all at different heights!! that explains the crappy functioning. So DO NOT buy F1 Racing clutches from Gripforce (Gripfarce)! Cus what you get is a cheap Valeo stock ripoff clutch that is spray painted blue. The guy at Gripfarce told me that F1 Racing was their own brand and their use their own materials. Basically what he meant was they buy cheap Valeo clutches in bulk and use the own materials (blue spray paint) to magically turn them into Stage 1 and Stage 2 clutches!!!! You will be highly dissapointed with this clutch, DONT BUY! Plus I bought an Exedy flywheel from them, they said it was suppossed to be 18 lbs., when I got it, it weighed 24 lbs!!!! They said that I used the wrong scale! Apparently you need to use a shipping scale when you want something accuatlly weighed. So next time you weigh yourself in the bathroom, take off 6 lbs!! Make this one sticky or whatever they call it to have it known throughout the net that F1 Racing Clutches are a cheap made up knock off brand and to not have anyone buy them! thanks!

Did you get an email on ebay asking about yours? I sent messages to the last few people who've purchased them and neither of them had installed theirs yet. Mine is still sitting in the box, I got a "stage 2". I emailed gripforce and was told it was a problem with the release bearing sleeve on the imprezas. Although I know they sometimes have problems, that can't be the cause of all of the clutches being lame. The guy said he was still checking around. I told them I'd planned on not installing the clutch based on recent bad reviews, especially since they don't sell many of the impreza kits compared to all of the honda, audi, chevy, etc kits sold. I think maybe the F1 impreza kits (98-06 RS) had a bad batch based on their feedback score. There are tons of guys with f1 kits for other cars that leave + feedback. I hope they offer to credit me towards another clutch kit at least and let me return mine.

·
Registered
stm99,flatblack99,07sti,blk98
566 Posts
ouch...that is horrible. i picked up an exedy oem clutch from them for my wrx trans swap..but i got there f1 flywheel..i hope thats not so garbage...

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
My 1st F1 stg 2 clutch was alright. The second one was not as good. I just replaced it (the pressure plate) with an ACT HD unit and all is well with the world. The disc seems to be holding up fine, but it's only been a couple days and I haven't really driven it hard yet.

I will support the opinion that these clutches aren't the deal they're cracked up to be. Way too much marketing and not nearly enough R&D.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for letting me know guys that others are having this problem with this clutch too. I will be sending a copy of this thread to Gripforce to show them that this is a common problem with their clutches. If you are looking to buy a stock Exedy clutch, they have them for 160. took them a week to get it to me in WI from CA.

·
Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,535 Posts
i just picked up a ACT SB2-HDOO clutch kit (pressure plate, clutch plate, TOB, alignment tool) and i also got their streetlight flywheel. all brand new still in plastic in the box

all for 380 shipped from a guy on nasioc...

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I'd like to exhange mine for their exedy "stage 1". Part number 15801 on exedy's site and holds more torque than the oem KSB04 exedy rs clutch.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have used F1s stage 2, and stage 3 6puck, and both were great for me. Nothing weird or out of the normal with them. Put over 20,000miles on the stage 2, ran fine when pulled out and currently have the stage 3 in , going onto 3,000miles and all is good.

Maybe they had a bad make of pressure plates or the clutch springs ?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I'm going to post my communication with them.. because they really are getting annoying now. I don't know if its a problem with their english comprehension or if they're just stalling. There's really no point in stalling... I've had mine for over 30 days. ??

>>>>>>First message to gripforce:

"Hi, I purchased this clutch kit in May and am worried it may be defective. I have not installed it yet, but several others on a website I'm a member of have had problems with the clutch pressure plate not being strong enough to push the pedal back. I'm spending a lot of time building my engine and rewiring my car's harness and don't want to have to pull the transmission apart because of a possibly faulty clutch. I haven't installed it yet. Are you having others with the same issue? A couple of the guys I know say they have conatacted you already. Please let me know of a possible problem before I waste my time and money putting this clutch assembly in my car. Thanks,

Brian"

>>>>>Their (gripforce's) first reply:

"First off I will need to locate your order history please provide us with the ebay item number you bid on and what your application is and what kind of mods you have. Email me back at [email protected] or [email protected] Thanks. "

>>>>>>My second message:

"The item number is 150244484830 . The engine that will be installed engine produces 280 crank hp. I have the japanese 2 liter turbo engine that uses the same flywheel and clutch size as the US model impreza rs 2.5 from 98 to 06. I actually still have the 2.5 RS engine in my car and have not swapped the 2.0 in. I've had wiring to do, and had to find some other parts here and there so I haven't completed everything. The car is currently my daily driver . Just worried about installing the new clutch now, as some other guys have had problems with the F1 pressure plate for the RS models. Thanks for replying

Brian"

>>>>>>>Gripforce:

"All our clutches are new from the manufacture. Be sure to use this with your stock flywheel only if resurfaced and above min. spec thickness. Or a new flywheel. What problems have you heard regarding this clutch??"

>>>>>>>Me:

"I understand they are new and that the flywheel has to be in spec. My flywheel is new, so I'm not worried about anything being out of spec. I just don't want to install the entire transmission, front cv axles and rear driveshaft and bolt it back together to find the pressure plate/basket isn't stiff enough to push my clutch pedal back up.
I've noticed that compared to all of the other model clutches you sell, this model (subaru impreza RS) doesn't sell as often. Most likely because there are a lot less people modding imprezas compared to civics, for example. Maybe there could have been a bad run since not as many of these are sold.
There are a few guys that have said the clutch pressure plate doesn't push back enough to return the pedal to its position, and from their mechanical knowledge I believe them. These are guys that know what they are doing, and just figured the F1 clutches might be good quality. I've actually contacted a few of the other guys who've purchased the same clutch model from you, and they haven't installed theirs yet either. I'm hoping to hear they have good results, but if they don't I'm definately not going to install mine. I'm not trying to be unreasonable or get money back, I just don't want to go through the hassle if you know there's a possible quality issue. I'd appreciate your help if there is. Thanks for replying again,

Brian"

>>>>>>>Gripforce:

"I contacted the manufacture today. It seems if the quill (Release Bearing Retainer) is worn you would need to replace it. The OE release bearing retainer is prone to failure and can cause issues. I will get in contact with the manufacture again tomorrow to see more in detail how to go about fixing this problem. It seems it definitely has nothing to do with the clutch. But OE parts on the car itself.

--
Art - Sales and Tech Support
Speed Solution International, Inc. dba Gripforce
1350 West Lambert Road, Suite B
Brea, CA 92821 USA
Open M-F 9-6 Pacific, Sat. 9-3 Pacific
(562) 905-3233 ext. 103
(562) 905-3238 (Fax)
PayPal: [email protected]
www.gripforce.com"

>>>>>>>>Me:

"Thanks for checking with them about that, but mine isn't worn. In fact my original clutch works fine and releases with no problem. It seems if the stock clutch basket can push the fork and bearing back then the aftermarket F1 should be able to as well. Keep me updated, thanks

Brian"

>>>>>>>Gripforce:

"Here are two sheets that discuss similar things that you are describing, that may help. See the attached files."

(couldn't transfer them over, but they were two attachments that discussed 97 to 05 imprezas/legacies and a problem some of the slave cylinders had)

>>>>>Me:

"Thanks for the info, but that applies to the models with hydraulic clutches, mine is cable clutch. The guys witht the problems didn't have the sticking problems before installing the F1 clutch. I appreciate you checking and finding that issue, but that's been discussed many times before on the subaru websites I visit. You can visit RS25.com and search under "F1 clutch" and find some guys with issues. They got their F1 clutches from you like I did. Would you allow me to return the F1 clutch kit for credit towards a more well known brand name kit you sell? I'm not trying to get money back, I just don't want to go through the aggravation of installing this clutch and have it being the weak link keeping me from enjoying the engine I swap in. Thanks for your replies,

Brian"

>>>>>Gripforce:

"If its cable then you may need to replace the cable and fine adjust the cable so it releases correctly. Exchanges are allowed within 30 days of the purchase date. But there is a 15% fee. Let me know which item you want to do the exchange for. So I can give you the details."

>>>>Me:

"You know I've had the clutch more than 30 days, since I gave you the item number you requested. That is why I was requesting credit towards the stage 1 exedy set you have for $319. I'm not sure you are completely reading my messages now. Whether or not I have cable clutch or hydraulic clutch is inconsequential to the issue the others are having.... especially since I haven't even installed the clutch yet. You apparently keep ignoring the fact that the problems are only occuring after those customers have installed the f1 clutches. Did you check RS25.com? I know for a fact another customer who had problems with his clutch sent you a direct link to one of the problem discussion threads to help you out.
If you are going to just keep stalling, I'll just sell the f1 clutch I got from you on ebay. Since you are currently selling the same model, I don't understand why you are ignoring my request to return it for credit towards the exedy kit you sell. What gives??????"

>>>>>Gripforce:

"The reason is there are no issues with this clutch as you are claiming. You are past the 30days to allow you to do a exchange or return.

I can help you and make a exception do do a exchange for a Exedy, but I would normally have to charge a higher exchange fee. To help you though I can keep it at the same 15% fee. So whatever you paid for the F1 clutch -15% would be your refund once we receive the clutch in new condition.

You will need to call me at 562-905-3233 ext 103 and ask for Art to obtain a return authorization number and address to ship to.

--
Art - Sales and Tech Support
Speed Solution International, Inc. dba Gripforce
1350 West Lambert Road, Suite B
Brea, CA 92821 USA
Open M-F 9-6 Pacific, Sat. 9-3 Pacific
(562) 905-3233 ext. 103
(562) 905-3238 (Fax)
PayPal: [email protected]
www.gripforce.com "

>>>>My reply on 8/23:

"Item number 170253783267 is the clutch I'd like to get. Here is the direct link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=170253783267&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:PIC&ih=007

Please let me know what to do, thanks.

Brian "

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Looks like they don't wanna deal with it. Maybe I'll ship my pressure plate back to them with a good technical review of it. I talked to Brian as well, before I made my purchase. He had trouble understanding the info that I wanted to know.

The problem is definately not with the release bearing, fork, or cable adjustment. The problem is with the design of the springs in the pressure plate. Clutchnet has/had the same problem. What I don't understand is that we usually don't hear of problems coming from Valeo parts. There isn't any distinguishing PN on the plate itself to try and trace back to Valeo (other than the name stamp).....so we don't know for sure if this clutch is designed for the application or not. Brian at GripForce isn't going to know, he's not knowledgable enough to explain the specifics on the components.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, art at Gripforce really doesn't like the fact that his clutches are bad. every time I was on the phone with him he always tried to talk over me and act like he knew more. really annoying. if i woul have had a digital camera at work when I changed my clutch I would have taken a pic and shown you guys that the spring singers on the F1 clutch were all at different heights when installed. thats the problem wight there. they are weak. im going to get it tested locally before I send it to CA and have them lie to me and say its fine. I'll keep ya posted on how it turns out.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Yeah, and they probably realize my opinion won't mean much as far as their ebay sales go because I've already left a positive feedback. I did however state that I haven't installed the kit yet in the feeback. It sucks you only have thirty days to leave feedback. I would bolt the pressure plate onto the flywheel with the disc to see the spring heights, but I don't want to scratch their custom blue paint, in case I need to sell it or if they decide to let me use it for credit. (which seems like its not going to happen at this point)

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS - RBP
1,605 Posts
>>>>>>>Gripforce:

"I contacted the manufacture today. It seems if the quill (Release Bearing Retainer) is worn you would need to replace it. The OE release bearing retainer is prone to failure and can cause issues.
w0w! You think they would include one of those in the kit then. :boxer:

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Put masking tape over washers and bolt it down with them.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts