Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn, I am facing a tough decision.
I'll need your thoughts on this.

Okay here it is. the 1998 2.5 rs is the ONLY year with the DOHC engine. But the damn cars are so hard to find, from a place that has no snow => not much rust. The 1999-2001 models only have the sohc engine, but they are easier to find. I REALLY want the DOHC engine just because you are able to do a lot more to it and it'll accept more hp gains. I am trying to find one.... but its so hard to find. Should i just break down and get the other model years? Eventually i want to build the engine up and have it as my race car. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Keep in mind that there have been people complaining about blown headgaskets with the DOHC version of the EJ25. If you really wanted to you could get an Impreza L and wait to buy a wrecked turbo 2.5L Forester when they finally come out. Then just swap some parts over. I'd say get a 99 model since its a SOHC motor with fewer reported blown headgaskets, slightly lower compression then the MY00-01 EJ25s. However then you'll have to deal with the MAF and the no rear LSD in the MY99s.

·
Registered
613 Posts
"I REALLY want the DOHC engine just because you are able to do a lot more to it and it'll accept more hp gains." how so do you mean? i have a modded my98 dohc engine
"Keep in mind that there have been people complaining about blown headgaskets with the DOHC version" i made mine seal, after the third damn time with some prototype racing gaskets by f2uning
they can seal against about 30 lbs of boost now. seems nissans 4runner heads are harder to seal than our scoobys.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
The SOHC have a better power band than the DOHC engines. The peak power is almost identical (slight edge to the SOHC here, too), but at lower RPM's, the SOHC has almost twice as much torque as the DOHC does. Something else to think about when looking. 98 RS= peakier powerband with same peak power, no rear LSD, MAF sensor (better than the MAF on the 99, though), and headgasket problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts