Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dogbox strong;missed third gear hard today.

i realize that most of you don't have dogboxes and i also don't want to be going on and on about mine but this belongs in the archive. i had a supercharged mr2 flex on me today and as i was trying to go from second to third, i hit first instead of third at about 4800 rpms. it popped in like it belonged there and i got the clutch out about (guessing) half way before i realized what happened and managed to avoid the overrev. well, i kept it under 7000 or so. whew! one thing is for sure; the box is so stout that it would have decelerated all four tires right off their contact patches and/or ripped up the half shafts before it would have lunched the trans. i think you could coax it into first at 140 mph and it would just pop in. it was the most violent thing i have managed to do to it, so far that is all drive around.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doxbox is slang for spur gear box. it has no synchros. the gears are twice+ as wide as stock. you must double clutch to down shift. etc. it makes beautiful music that some people call gear whine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
that sounds intresting. Sounds like an old fashion car. Do u have to double clutch to upshift? how much does it cost? Is the stock gearbox not strong enough?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
sounds like an f1 car. double clutch on downshift,but to upshift you can either slam it or "pause" it. ,i got three k into the cluster, and 275 into the interlock mechanism. and no, the stock gearbox would have been at my mercy, my car is about 350+ lbs of supercharged torque. it comes on early. a turbo car is alot easier on a trans, coming on late and ramping up. torque, not horsepower kills gearboxes. monster launches now kill half shafts. lucky me. anyone need a stock gear cluster & shafts?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would love to but i got raked over the coals on the eye club board for saying the following; it is a chalak. from aussie. it was 3k us. it was a gear cluster and shafts that with a little relieving of some of the stock aluminum case, popped right in. it is very loud and it is music to us types. it is quiet in fifth and very civilized but it is like a dentists drill at 25 mph in third. you can shift it without the clutch but it chirps all four tires and this is ALOT less of a shock on dirt or snow. i drive it every day in traffic. i dont condone streetrac ing but.... i can guarantee i am getting to the top of this onramp before you.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
The dogbox sounds cool! I always wondered how exactly they worked.

i dont condone streetrac ing but.... i can guarantee i am getting to the top of this onramp before you.
:lol: Sounds like me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts