Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98rsti RallybluePearl
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a short block from a member( his name left out for now). a ej255 short block. I was told it was in good condition and ready to run. I bought it put it on my stand and turned the crank. Rod bearing feel right out of the bottom on the block and piston 4 popped right out the block(pushed out by crank. I immediately call him and get no answer, so i leave a message. The next day i received a call back from him asking exactly what was going on so i tell him the rod bolts weren't even tightened and the bearing fell right out. He calls the person he bought it from and that guy said he got it from a Subaru re manufacturing company and they said when they put blocks back together they LOOSELY put them back together for reliabilty issues (oh come on). He will not refund me my money stating it was already withdrawn and payed for mortgage. He does offer to take the block apart and put bearings in for me if i buy the bearings. He states he could have it done in a few days.

My reasons behind buying this block was it was closer then nj and it was said to drop in and run no problems. which i was deceived.

Sorry for an bad grammar or misspelled words my anger is making my head hurt.

End Rant/
What should I do.:curse:

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
if he stated sold as-is, theres nothing you can do.
I got fucked on a shortblock too, and you just have to grow up and get over it.

·
Registered
98rsti RallybluePearl
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing stated selling AS IS at all

-EJ255 shortblock, about 65k very clean, good pistons, no scoring in the cylinders (FXT block, pretty much the same thing as an STi block)

is the ad

·
Registered
98rsti RallybluePearl
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But see i do not know his mechanical abilities as well. touching the inside of my motor by someone you don't know and obviously don't trust is like giving your baby to a crackhead babysitter haha

·
Registered
1999 ver7 coupe
504 Posts
I would just ask to return it instead of getting him to put bearings in, and start shopping for another block. I would not trust "some guy" to assemble my motor correctly no matter how many he had put together before. I have seen several DIY motor projects, subaru and otherwise, go sideways even though the people putting them together were smart, had all the tools, etc.

If he refuses to return it, THEN file a paypal dispute. Take lots of pictures, save any emails/pms and write down a complete timeline for the dispute process.

Edit: sorry, didn't see the "won't refund" part. Yeah, file a dispute.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Tell him to pay for the bearings and you put them in. They aren't that expensive. You definately need to pull all pistons and look the block and crank over as well. Who knows what else could be fubar'ed. Sucks because the other guy may have gotten messed over too.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
Paypal won't do shit for you, unless you paid with a real creditcard (not a check card). Then they can be notified, and then Paypal will actually listen to your complaint/get scared. I hate Paypal. Good luck with your troubles, that really sucks. I'd rather buy a motor from a salvage yard, usually they have a short term warranty if you check the engine right away and notify them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts