Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing adds for better race oils.

Do products like Royal Purple, and Redline oil really make your car faster or help the engine last longer?

:confused: :(

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
i've seen on the Speed channel, some of those domestic muscle cars use the royal purple. it worked for them. supposedly it frees up HP lost in the drivetrain. i thought about using it too, but it's quite expensive. maybe when i win the Lotery.

brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personally, I like the Royal purple oil, but I haven't put in my own vehicle. I have tried the Redline. Didn't see much improvement over Mobil 1 for the price difference. So I have been staying with Mobil 1. But I wouldn't put anything Non-synthetic in my car, especially with how hard I drive. :happynow:

·
Registered
95 L Coupe, 99 Outback
136 Posts
I have always ran Mobil1, but I was cheap out one time and ran fram. At autox my oil temps were way too high, at least 15 degrees more. I dumped that shit out after 500 miles and went back to mobil1.

·
Registered
'97 BrightonRS '93 Impreza FWD
1,085 Posts
Castrol GTX all day erry day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you want dino oil, Castrol GTX is safe.

Royal Purple used Teflon. Was sued by Amsoil and RP paid millions.

Redline was better in the tranny than the oil Subaru used.

If you want a real synthetic oil, Amsoil. (Hands down!)

If you want a oil you can find anywhere, Mobile 1 or GTX.

I would run Redline again, but I now prefer Amsoil. My neighbor was a Amsoil dealer, and moved away. He supplied the farmers in Eastern Colorado with 55 gallon drums of Amsoil for their tractors.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,361 Posts
^^ This. i use Castrol in my motor, redline in my transmission / rear differential I use this combo in all 3 of my subaru's - street, track, rally(x)

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
^ thats what i use, good street nonsynthetic setup. the important distinction is between synthetic or dino. generally speaking, an engine that has seen dino all its years shouldnt be switched over to synthetic. most high performance modern engine builders recommend synthetic. beyond that it really depends on use. brand is fairly relative but for real racing applications motul is the goto.

its important to note that if you dont use the brand that is suggested by any given user, your engine will undoubtedly blow up

·
Registered
gm2 coupe / gf4/ cb7 saloon
1,838 Posts
subaru:
valvoline 5w30
gear oil in rear diff 75w90 or something like that

accord:
royal purp 5w30
royal purp syncromax gear oil

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
yes oil makes a difference - in an engine setup for it in the first place

is your engine stock or built? forced induction or not?

broad sweeping statements like "royal purple sheers too easily" is really inaccurate. Like everything else out there, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc. have various blends. There is not 1 oil. The latest trend of the day is high fiving every oil that has tons of zinc....as if it's a cure all. Everything has a positive and negative to it, zinc included. And in some applications, uses, low zinc is necessary, not high zinc. As such, each brand have different formulations for different applications. When considering using these higher end race grade oils., consult your engine builder

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
Dino oil in the motor with quality filter like bosch or oem, and synthetic in the boxes.

·
aka arangov3
Do noffin Foz
2,802 Posts
I use t6 my car has been eating much less oil(.6 quarts between changes), and no longer has a slight knock since. It use to have castrol when I first bought it but changed it since it was eating 1.5 quarts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts