Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heheeh....I've always been a bit of a car buff, so to me, buying this little station wagon was cool. It's an olds cutlass with a 3.8 v6. It's like a grand am's v6 in an older style FWD hoopty wagon, PFI and all! Anyway, the impreza is going to be parked, paid for, and then modified extensively. 12:1 compression looks too appealing. I saw what a 2.5 w/11:1 compression did to an old legacy w/ phase 2 heads. He did 0-60 in about 6 sec. Mine is a mean bitch above 4500 for an n/a car, but that thing just revved and kept on revving. That Blitz filter on a JC intake, w/ the grounding mod, exhaust, and fuel stuff was a good thing, but there's still more to go. At least now it can park and the neighbors have some peace and quiet. :p

·
Registered
597 Posts
got a 92 civic 4-door. less mileage on the 'ol RS as well.
I plan on keeping the RS forever if I can!

H

·
0 Posts
Heh. My RS is my daily driver. :)
But I've got two beaters at this time. One non-running, and one that gets 7-10mpg. :)

Last tank of gas in the RS I got over 26mpg and that included quite a lot of 5mph stop and go and another big chunk of 80-100mph flying. Can't beat that with a sharp stick.

I plan on keeping the RS until I kill it. I'm going to keep it as a daily driver until I'm making enough money to buy a new nice daily driver, then I'll strip and cage the RS and start having fun in it.

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T (Sold)
3,211 Posts
Not really a beater, but...

Well, when my RS was being fixed, I found myself a 91 Legacy Turbo Sedan, :drool: for $1,500!! :biggest:
It has been sort of a beater, but I love the RS so much now that it's back, I really haven't moved the Legacy. Plans are to transplant the motor into an L. :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I don't own the RS anymore, but I have made the ultimate sacrifice to protect my investment in my Type-R. I drive a (wait for it) MINIVAN everyday. The horror! Imagine a 25 y/o guy driving home in a voyager and then getting in a Type-R. The difference in jarring, to the say the least.

But I don't need to owrry about the van getting stolen, dented, vandalized, dirty, wrecked, or anything else. Peace of mind is a plus, and it does make my drives in the R that much more special.

Keeps ya humble too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I ran accross a 91-94 Sentra SE-R the other day on the way home. It's just sitting there in someone's driveway with two flats. I stopped to ask how much, but no one answered the door. I'm looking for something that I can tinker with, and not have to worry about it getting dinged and scratched, eventually maybe build it into a track car.

·
Registered
05 LGT limited
405 Posts
Does a 92 Toyota 4x4 w/162,000 miles that's been wrecked 3 times count as a beater?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heheh...good to see I'm not the only one who worships his Subaru. (Must.....sacrifice.....V-TEC!!!!) This wagon is kinda cool. I've never owned one, but the old white JC wagon really turned me on to them. The fact that it has the turbo GN motor in it had nothing to do with it ;). Seriously though, I've been thinking all along of getting this thing up and running, dismantling my Impreza, and using this one as a parts hauler. The subie engine and tranny will fit in the back of it easily ;). Since I walk to work anyway, neither car will get much mileage. I just wanted something to drive around so the RS can be elevated to
"Saturday Night Special" status...when it's downgraded to "broken" I won't be left out in the cold too badly. Oh well...off to scour the net for more parts.

·
DemodderedOGmoss
05 LGT, 06 WRX wag, ZX6R
4,654 Posts
I've got a '93 Taurus SHO w/ 197k miles I drive. Though its giving me problems, I think I need to change the fuel filter or something :p When that goes, I'll find myself another beater!

keith

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hehe...I got lucky compared to afew of these...my wagon only has 130k on it. That's just broke in for a GM ;). My first car was a 1980 volare. It leaked like a seive. This one was 200 dollars, too, but runs great! Long live the cheap domestic!

·
Registered
2001 ImprezaRS2.5 Coupe White
1,513 Posts
I have an 82 Toy 4x4 with different color fenders on the front. It has 173000 miles on it. I still drive my RS every day due to the heat in Phoenix would be kill me as my Toy has no A/C....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This thing was a steal. It's got plush seats, an electric drivers seat, port fuel injection, and room for 8 (uncomfortably). I've driven it to 30mpg on the interstate, too. The suby won't even do that....wonder why...:p

Does anybody enjoy your little crappy cruiser, though? It's actually easier to fix up than the Subaru, and cheaper. Driving it every day, and modifying it, just wears it out quicker. I didn't intend on buying a race car incognito when I bought this thing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a 1990 Mercury Cougar (crappy V6) with 130,000 miles on it. I drive it when the RS is broke :)

Eric

·
Registered
250 Posts
I saw a Porshe 944 sitting on a farm not far from me, i thought about checking that. But i wonder how much a pain that would be to make into an little autoX/track beater. I also so a 928? in a town down the road. A friend wanted me to go in on a first gen RX-7 IT car.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Boxer said:
Imprezinator, am I reading subtitles correctly and that's why it stays broke ?
:biggest:
hehe. Bingo. :)

Eric

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
939 Posts
No $$$ for a beater... I'm thinking right now that I might make my RS my N/A daily driver and just buy a FFI car like a MKIII supra or MR2. That is, unless I have like 10k+ to throw at a 02 WRX engine swap...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Beater update!

I just changed the oil, filter, added Stop Smoke, put in a new pvc, coolant, new maf, air filter, hatch struts (no more stick!), and going now for new door locks mechanisms. It's fun restoring this old thing. It runs like a sewing machine now. Thank god for PFI! That Stop Smoke stuff really works, too. (STP I think.) It would just smoke a bit on start up from the head gasket. It doesn't now, and runs smoother in fact. It doesn't rev as quick, but it runs a lot better. That crap poured like molasses. Wuhooo! I never thought of restoring an 80's GM wagon, but this thing runs like a dream.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts