Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forget where I read it but a while back I saw somebody mention that the MY98 DOHC 2.5L engine has a weak block that can't handle over ~250HP. I was just wondering if anybody has any specific information on that? Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure if it is the block that is weak but the interenals, some people say that the rods are weak, but others say that you'll fry a piston before you break a rod.

R

·
0 Posts
The gen 1 2.5 block is durable enough to handle 450hp(see sport compact car magazine, project 2.5rs) Fuel delivery is the hard part. Those blown motors are from not enough fuel. Turbo kits need full engine management or you risk the engine.

sean

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Yeah, Shiv was using a 98 or 99 RS I believe, and he had oodles of power for a long time.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
the weaknesses with the 98 Phase I dohc
is that is has a tendancy to blow...

bad heads...
or blown cylinder...

my 99 GT (same engine) went at 56k - cyl #4....

and there are MANY 98 DOHC RS' that i know of that have the same issues....

you may be lucky with the particular block you have,
on the other hand... it could cause you much greif
after hours n hours of hard work :(

good luck!
Jamie
www.subeigalracing.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jamie is correct. The early engine had bad headgasket design from the factory. The gaskets were redesigned in 99. Any pre-99 engine should have headgasket upgrade. They will hold lots of power though.That may be why SOA took back the 98 from Shiv...

(Authored by Sean Sexton/Rallitek)
On Gia's login... bad, bad Sean :boxer:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information everyone, that is very helpfull. I will make sure to replace my headgaskets before I start doing any engine mods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts