Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking about swaping the ej25(gc8) for a GDB STI motor w/6spd. so i'm wondering has it been done? and if this has been posted before sorry couldn't find anything on it.

·
Registered
07 wrx
180 Posts
yes i belive that it can be done ive looked into it a litlle but just couldnt scrap up enough money but theres a few thats done the swap on here

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
the engine should be pretty much a straight drop in, but the tranny i believe requires a little bit of "loving" to be done to the transmission tunnel to get it to fit.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,932 Posts
nah

if harness plugs into AC and steering wheel then it's about 10 bolts to take the dash off, about 5 bolts to take AC out, and the n you're done :) well, then you swap the harness and put everything back in.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
harness......give it time a patience and you'll do a job well done, right?

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
RotarFreak said:
nah

if harness plugs into AC and steering wheel then it's about 10 bolts to take the dash off, about 5 bolts to take AC out, and the n you're done :) well, then you swap the harness and put everything back in.
I saw some pics of a EJ25-EJ20 swap done by a company in Northern Ca. (I think) that does lots of transplants and it was a mess.
They have done a few of them and they quote 40 hours labor to do the job. The wiring inside the car was all over the place.

I once did a 100% rewire on my 240Z with new Belden copper stranded, solder terminals and heat shrink, but that was a simple circuit compared to an Impreza! :)

·
General pain in the ass
3,932 Posts
i saw the pics of that, the reason they did it that way is because they used original ECU(if i recall corectly) so they cut and used part of original harness + part of new harness.

If you get ECU + harness+ engine it'll be a lot less messy.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
how about for the '04 USDM STi 2.5l engine with tranny. how painful would that be?

·
General pain in the ass
3,932 Posts
i dont know, but i think the engine and tranny run about 10k...

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if it's a 2.5L should the ecu match up? or is it different too?

·
General pain in the ass
3,932 Posts
165 hp non turbo ecu vs 300 hp turbo ecu ---i think not

i would think wrx ecu might, but not likely... if you do that sort of conversion i would think you'll need either sti ecu, or compatible + after market fuel management

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
lets not worry about the ECU yet, it's a lot easier to get an ECU to fit vs. engine and tranny. so, does the '04 WRX STi engine and tranny fit easily into a GC?

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
We'll just have to wait and see. It'll just be speculation until someone has experience with it. 6sp supposedly fits GC with custom work. And I would guess that the engine is about the same size as the US WRX engine, so it should fit. Someone go try and tell us. :)

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS
196 Posts
There are some wiring harnesses difference between a GC chassis and a GD. When I-SpeedUSA did my conversion, some part of the harnesses has to be soldiered on the new harnesses.

But ECU is from a WRX.

A 6spd tranny will fit the GC chassis but requires some chassis modification in order to make it fit because 6spd tranny itself is bigger and heavier than the regular 5spd tranny.
IIRC, There was a thread about GF(C) wagon w/ STi 6spd swap at the Gallery in I-club.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts