• No

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I posted in a vendors thread about items he has listed, or maybe listing, do you think its ok if another vendor see's my post and PM's me right away to tell me he has the product I posted about?

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
Major Johnson said:
I vote yes it's ok as long as he doesn't put his own words and bump a different product in someone else's thread.
I disagree...

It is just like if you were selling something and someone posted in there and I PMed them saying I have it for cheaper or something. It is like a classified hijack on the down low so no one will find out.

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
Given the way some vendors around here do business, and the excuses people make for them, I don't see this being any worse than that.

Someone's looking for something, so someone selling something made an offer...

How is this really any different than two potential customers who want the same product? First one that pays gets said product. If I'm looking for something, and a vendor PM's me before the other one can, and with a better price, then, guess who I'm gonna buy from.

·
Registered
'99 2.5 RS Rally Blue Pearl
937 Posts
isn't that just competition? i think it's fine because it doesn't hurt anyone and doesn;t show up the origional vender in a public way

·
Registered
91 Legacy 257 w/6MT
865 Posts
i see no problem with it. as long as they are not bombarding you or spamming you etc. if you really don't want to have this happen PM the vendor you WANT to do business with. posting in an open thread makes you a target.

·
turbocharged mayhem
MBP 03 wrx wagon
1,029 Posts
I dont think its very professional. Also depends on how they say it, if they say if vendor x may not be listing it i can get it for you. But if its i have it cheaper and right now, thats not right. At least i dont think so.

There is a vendor section, they can post up their products in there. The competition should be in their advertising, vendor section posts. Not stealing someone else's potential customer.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
91 Legacy 257 w/6MT
865 Posts
cueball89 said:
I dont think its very professional. Also depends on how they say it, if they say if vendor x may not be listing it i can get it for you. But if its i have it cheaper and right now, thats not right. At least i dont think so.

There is a vendor section, they can post up their products in there. The competition should be in their advertising, vendor section posts. Not stealing someone else's potential customer.

my 2 cents
but at the same time we are talking open threads here. if someone posts in a thread asking a question or a price of an item he is essentially saying "i'm a possible customer."

if i posted in a vendors thread and had a different vendor PM me a better price on the same item i'd thank him for it...i'm always up for saving money.

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
cueball89 said:
I dont think its very professional.
It's shady as all hell. Somebody that does such a thing can not be trusted. I have a PERFECT example. Many of you may remember that we used to sell Megan coilovers. We have since stopped, not because they were bad, but because somebody was pm'ing anyone that requested a shipping quote in our thread and low balled us by a long shot. I complained to Megan to no avail. I suspected a kid that worked there and was a customer of mine, was buying them from Megan with his discount and undercutting us. Well, I was right and wrong. He sure was the one, but what he was doing was STEALING them from Megan and selling them. I only found out what really happened a few days ago. We will start selling Megan again. So.... who do you want to buy parts from, the guy that pm's you in the night, or the guy with a respectable business?

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
Buyer beware is commonly what we're told, I think it is.
I've read threads that don't exactly give GT glowing reviews
either. Right? So it's always a chance in the end. No corp
is perfect, they are just more easily held accountable
if they get too out of line. But thats no guarantee.

And see, I consider PM'ing like that exactly like what you just did here.
You pimped your store, and your product. Everyones selling.

:)

·
Registered
V4 Sti BRP, 98LGT SP, 94SVX PW
730 Posts
If your industry does not have MAP pricing then you are screwed.
Not many people are tier 1 distributors. Some are Tier 2 but most are Tier 3. IE #1 is the manufacturer or main distributor. Who may or may not sell directly to the public. Tier 2 is a retailer who orders enough to go directly with a company or it's main distributor. 3rd Tier is the drop ship or purchase through the secondary Tier 2 distributor. SO margins are different which means some can under cut.

Now there should be site regulation
about posting into other peoples "For Sale" threads to sell your own items. This should go for both public and vendor. As far as PM'ing a person in regards to an item they are looking for, all this means is that the seller is doing his job. So I vote Yes. Welcome to capitalism.
Only those who F others over make it big. So how much is your sole worth?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts