Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Does your 93-2001 Impreza have rust in this location

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza L
53 Posts
Got it bad on both quarter panels, i was playing with it on one side and a huge chunk broke off, i used my dremel to smooth it out a little, but it seems like its rusting from the inside out.

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
Got it bad on both quarter panels, i was playing with it on one side and a huge chunk broke off, i used my dremel to smooth it out a little, but it seems like its rusting from the inside out.

All rust actually starts from the inside out.

Anything you visibly see on the surface is actually coming from behind. Unless its flash rust/oxidation

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
Salt is bad mkayyy, washing the car thoroughly every week rinses the salt away and helps a LOT.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
663 Posts
I initially voted 'no' years and year ago, but today I noticed on the driver's side rear that the hoop that the bolt goes into, in the body, has broken off and it's starting to swell there.

Gonna call my buddy Monday, I'll take care of it now and try and keep it under a grand...

·
Registered
BRP '01 2.5RS 4EAT coupe
113 Posts
Salt is bad mkayyy, washing the car thoroughly every week rinses the salt away and helps a LOT.
My dealership has one of those drive in booths with the high pressure jets that spray the car. Depending on how much I'm willing to spend there are settings for adding wax and for spraying the undercarriage. Is that thing actually good to use? I'm way too lazy to hand wash my car, and I can't really imagine doing that in the winter anyway.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
If it actually sprays back and forth a few times it is better than by hand since its tougher to get directly underneath.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Just finished washing the car and I have a little little bit forming on the passenger side rear quarters on my WRX. Both my '95 and '98 were heavily contaminated with rust there... the '98 nearly had golfball sized holes ready to give out.

Anyone hear of or use this Jig-a-loo substance? After googling, many places were recommending it. I figure if I can clean it up since it's just underneath where that rubber strip should be (took it off to prevent rust), I can use something to neutralize it and oil on top to keep it clean.

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
01 RSTI w/07 EJ257, Brembos
1,813 Posts
All rust actually starts from the inside out.

Anything you visibly see on the surface is actually coming from behind. Unless its flash rust/oxidation
You do realize you bumped a 4 year old thread just to say this, right? :)

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
663 Posts
There might be a reason why the quarter panels on our cars are a bit susceptible to rusting right in these particular corners.

Under the skin, there appears to be a 'pocket' in the skeleton of the car where the wheel arch meets the bumper line. Looks like crud can built up, not go anywhere and start eating away at metal. I imagine the designers at Subaru didn't immediately see the long term effects of this particular shape at these corners...

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
663 Posts
Before and after. There was technically nothing for my bumper to hang on to. I caught it early and it was only a 2" wide x 4-5" high patch. Came to $800 painted and everything. Re-sealed and undercoated on both sides too...

·
Registered
'00 2.5rs coupe
1,628 Posts
Negative. Rust free.

Will soon be for sale too in case anybody wants a rust free 107k mile car.

/shameless plug. ;)

·
Registered
gm2 coupe / gf4/ cb7 saloon
1,838 Posts
one of the selling points to my impreza was it was rust free. I bought it immediately.. and also removed the stupid rubber strips. now covered the lip of the fender with some plastidip lots cleaner and forgiving than rubber strip..

·
Registered
'01 BRP GM6
373 Posts
looking to repair mine soon, too.. ugh Subies aren't the only manufacture popular with that position in regards to rust.. noticed a lot of mid-90's Accords have the same "badge of honor" :facepalm:

101 - 120 of 187 Posts