Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Does your 93-2001 Impreza have rust in this location

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 187 Posts

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,006 Posts
i sanded the piss out of what good metal was left and shot some white enamel over em, seems to be holding well, im gonna address that rust when i get the car apart. I found a junk yard that specializes in foreign cars and they have a few subies so im gonna check em out

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Did they replace the rust with steel or is the repair just bondo?

Just out of curiosity how much did you end up spending?

Looks good.
Thanks :) It was replaced with steel. I wanted it done right.

Ok, I've gotten WAY too many PM's asking me how much it cost me. It's going to be different for everyone depending on how bad the rust is, how much the shop charges and per market area.

I don't mean to be rude but go get a quote!! Everyone's car is different. It takes 20 minutes to go get a quote. It's part of the research process.

At the very least it will cost you $1,500 and as much as $3,000. Mine was somewhere in between.

I don't want to come off as a jerk but it's getting old how many people have asked me..

·
RS-T
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
194 Posts
The majority of the rust.

Heres the classic sideskirt cancer.

Canadian winters are quite harsh on the body of any subaru. Ice racing with studded tires does not help as well, especially with all the salt and sand they lay down on the roads here. FYI, I throughly washed my car once a week even throughout winter, and it is undercoated, however this WILL happen to all of us, it just happens quicker to people in a norther climate. Please feel free to comment on this issue that causes me to loose sleep every night.

·
Registered
2000 STM 2.5RS
759 Posts
I actually just had all my rust fixed. I had rust holes in both rear quarter panels and rust covering the wheel lips and where the sideskirts end. All the rust was replaced with new metal and repainted/blended. Would of costed $750.00 to be all redone, but I had a claim for a big dent through insurance and rolled money from that into the rust body work and ended up costing only $480.00 :) pics will be up soon on my members journal if you wanna check the work

·
Registered
05sti,02GGA,88dl,94LOY,90 leg,
203 Posts
I have none on my 98 L but my 90 legacy is a terror. Look away if you are sqeemish.

I am still in the process of fixing the drivers side and then I'll get to the passenger side. I am making all of my own replacement panels by hand.

This pic is the passenger side for reference. The drivers side is where I am working right now.

Started to cut;

Started putting metal back:

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
man i am scared to touch my rust areas now, seems like it will just reveal something a lot worse

·
Registered
05sti,02GGA,88dl,94LOY,90 leg,
203 Posts
Tell me about it. I thought mine was not that bad and then i started checking and the holes just kept getting bigger and bigger.

I figure by the time I am done with fixing it it'll add at least 5 years to the life of the car. The subframe was also pretty bad in spots and fixing them is kinda like a heart transplant.

The crazy part is if I were to pay somebody for this it would be 5k easily. I bought the car for less $1000.

Also the reason this is so bad is because it is used offroad a lot. I have had it in water up to the middle of the doors and mud too, plus winter salt and snow. This thing is a beater but i want to keep it going so...

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, '00 911 Cab, '18 CT6 TT, '04 Escalade ESV
5,382 Posts
I've had rust like that on 3/5 of my GCs. I'm learning to repair cancer on my DD, so I'm considering fixing it myself and just repainting the whole car.

·
RS-T
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
194 Posts
The majority of the rust.

^^Very happy to say that all of it is fixed, filled, and painted for $550, by a local body shop. I did most of the prep work, but they soda blasted both rear quarters, and the sideskirt cancer down to the bare metal, metal filled the pitting corrosion, filled and sanded all 3 places. Then he sprayed the majority of each panel with 2 coats of subaru 74F (RBP), and shot it with clear. He did a 3 stage fading process to blend the sections into the rest of the panel by reducing the base colour with clear, 30%, 60%, 90%. He even color matched my plastic sideskirts for me, all for $550.

***I will post some pics of the work asap.

In addition, I am coming to believe that one of the causes of this horrible plague that we all share is the rubber molding surrounding the edge of the wheel well, moisture gets trapped in there, and crevice corrosion then takes over. My best suggestion is to take them off, at least the rear of the car. It wont stop the rusting, but it will slow it down.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza L Brilliant Red
2,113 Posts
Ahh. F!$%ing central new york rust. I got it right at that damn spot. Pretty nasty bubble too. And on the opposite side at the end of the molding. Blows. :( Once I get a job ill probably save up to fix it, then my 98 will be minty fresh ;)

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,238 Posts
here was my quick fix that is holding up with no problems:

sanded to bare metal, then used 2 coats of eastwood's rust encapsulator

·
Registered
2000 L coupe BRP
42 Posts
if you see any rust, or bubbling paint, it is probably worse than you think.
Remove the rear bumper and rear wheels and take a look at the damage. I did that this last weekend with my 97 OBS.
I used a wire wheel on a drill to clean it up and the went to town with some POR-15

Nice, another por-15 user! people gotta discover this stuff it's the shyt. I did the Qp's on all 3 subaru's I have owned as well as flor pans and the full interior of my Rs

here's one of the floors done with the rest preped and ready for the paint:

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS STM Coupe
1 Posts
Just found this cancer today while attempting to "repair" some scabs of rust in the two usual places on both rear quarters of my 2001 RS.....every spot of rust was eaten thru the metal! 4 goddamn holes in my quarters!! :barf::letitout::blowingup

·
Where are my keys?
98 OBS, 04 XTI
1,571 Posts
pass quarter rust enough to cause bumper clip to hang, driver starting to bubble. rockers on both sides have holes (small but still) and a lil rust forming along the outter door jamb of both rear doors.

want to grab a wire wheel and drill, get that shit off and "rust killer" it, but my only problem is finding a can of touch up paint to hide the repair. no stores around me carry either of my colors (fuckin 2-tone paint)

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
No rust here.

'99 RS with 100k New England miles. Only reason there isn't rust is that I got rear-ended 4 years ago and the bodywork got sorted out then.

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs
2 Posts
I only have a small quarter-sized rust spot on my sunroof. The person who had the car before me repainted it and painted over the rust spot. It hasn't spread since I've had it but I know it will eventually. And I have alot of rock chips on my hood where the metal is exposed but there is no rust there yet. :/ I only have that one spot on my sunroof and that is it. And I live in Colorado so we get a lot of snow here and the roads are always salted.

81 - 100 of 187 Posts