Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i think my clutch is gone, the other night i was going down the highway at about 70mph(?) in 4th gear. i was definatly in fourth, at about 3000rpm i stomped on it and accelerated to about 3200rpm when it felt like the clutch broke loose, i kept on it and it hovered at around 4000-4500rpm, kinda going back and fourth between the two. i felt a loss of acceleration when this happened and dont know what it is caused from. after hovering, it felt like it grabbed again and finished accelerating to 6000rpm without any problems. any help would be great thanks, ryan

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
you weren't in 4th if you were doing 70mph at 3000rpm.

regardless, usually, clutches fail at engagement, not when they've already been engaged. but basically what it feels like when a clutch goes is you can't give it much gas or the engine just revs and the wheels don't turn. and once it goes, it doesn't come back (unless maybe the fluid faded, but i'd doubt it).

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
10th Warrior said:
you weren't in 4th if you were doing 70mph at 3000rpm.

regardless, usually, clutches fail at engagement, not when they've already been engaged. but basically what it feels like when a clutch goes is you can't give it much gas or the engine just revs and the wheels don't turn. and once it goes, it doesn't come back (unless maybe the fluid faded, but i'd doubt it).
Shouldn't be a fluid problem, manuals don't use any fliud in the clutch. Which brings me to a point: if you were doing 70 in forth, do you have an automatic? 4th is top gear in an auto, so that would make sense, but if you have an auto, you don't have a clutch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, i wrote that last one in kind of a hurry, 70 was just a guess. i wasnt really looking at my speedo. i was in fourth at 3000rpm. i guess it was more like 50mph. it is a manual transmission w/ a little under 30,000miles on it

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow at 30k I hope it hasn't gone yet. I was pretty rough on my clutch for my first three years and mine still didn't go until around 60k which was around 4 years of owning it.

The best way I found to test it is to get up into 5th gear at around 60mph and floor it. If the RPM's take off and the car doesn't then your clutch or flywheel is probably in trouble. Others may have a better method but that's how I figured out that mine was toast.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update...this morning i was on the highway at 75mph, i was in fifth gear. i put my foot to the floor and it happened again. rpms went to about 4500-5000 and acceleration dropped of quite a bit. i kept it to the floor, it remained at about 1000rpm over what it felt like it should have been at. it was working awfully hard for not moving me that much. this continued until 100mph when i backed of the throttle, as soon as i backed of, it dropped down about 1000rpm and resumed driving like normal.

please help me i dont know what it is. i have had a bad clutch before in my VW Jetta GLI and i know the feeling, in that car it was definatly the normal clutch failure, only happened on take-off.

i hope that it is just the clutch and not anything to do w/the AWD system, i dont know much about that, but i can do a clutch pretty easily.

oh, my car basically stock right now, all that is on it is an intake. just wanted to let you know that i didnt have massive amounts of power going to the wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts