Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,231 Posts
You'll need a roll, as with any suspension compression, the wheel will go up inside your rear fenders:

This is my RSTi on BBSs with 225/45/17s on.

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS coupe
144 Posts
Bumping this thread instead of making a new one.

So from what I've read, '04 BBS Sti wheels on 225/45/17's and STOCK RS suspension (stock struts and springs) ...will fit without rubbing the fender? I know the tire might rub against the spring perch of the strut slightly, but as long as it doesn't rub the rear fenders it'll be okay.

I have these wheels but I'm going back to stock strut/springs and just wondering for sure if these wheels will rub. If anyone has a picture of these wheels with stock ride height, that would be great! I'm not sure if the pics in this thread are showing these wheels on stock oem suspension setup.

My concern is more the rear rubbing than the front. As I know the front wont rub as I have these wheels on agx struts with eibach lowering springs, but had to add a 3/4 spacer to my back struts to keep it from rubbing the rear fender. But I can't remember how these fit the stock strut and stock springs.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,231 Posts
If you have any reasonable amount of suspension travel, you'll want to roll the rear fenders, but that's the only real issue you'll run into.

If the tire is rubbing the rear strut, then you either have a tire with really round/soft sidewalls, or your hub to rear-strut angle is real narrow.

To correct the later issue, I recommend loosening up your rear strut bolts at the hub and taping some spacers between the tire and strut. Put the wheel back on tight and then snug up the strut to hub bolts before removing the wheel and torquing them down.

You'll only gain a max of maybe 1deg that way, but it's enough space to keep the sidewall off usually.

-- Dave

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS coupe
144 Posts
By my calculations, If I go by the stock center of hub to rear fender trim measurement..and measuring using my Sti wheels I have on my car now, I should be left with about a 2" gap between the tire to the rear fender trim. My setup in the rear right now has a 1 1/2" gap, and it doesn't rub the fender at all even on hard turns. So if the OEM springs and stock ride height on the rear raises it 1/2"...I should be good, correct? Or is the stock spring that soft and would compress 2" on hard corning?

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,231 Posts
Well, this is kinda the measurement you need to be aware of:

On an un-rolled car, you have about 9in of total width between the strut and fender.

Then you need to go to tire rack and see what the section width of your particuar tire is and measure the gap between the tire and strut to figure out what the remaining clearance is at the fender.

A typical 225/45/17 tire (Continental DWS 06) that is an all-season with softer sidewalls measures in at ~8.9in of width at the sidewalls.

Odds are, that can/will rub on hard cornering.

-- Dave

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS coupe
144 Posts
^^ That’s good information, thanks!
Do you know the height of the stock rear RS coupe spring when measuring just the spring not installed in the strut? I’ve looked and can’t find any info for this stock height. I have rear springs from Moog that are a direct oem stock replacement for the RS and these measure 12.5” tall..just measuring the spring itself not installed.

I wonder if someone out there can measure the stock RS rear springs height.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,231 Posts
Measuring the spring height tells you nothing by itself really.

You have to know the spring rate, whether or not it's progressive/etc...

The springs are only about 1/2 to 1in longer than the height when installed in the strut. That's all I ever really needed to compress them.

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS coupe
144 Posts
The Moog rear coil springs I have are a constant spring rate...not progressive at all. And they look like they have one extra coil than the stock rear spring. Which is why I was wondering about the height difference. But the Moog site does say their spring is a direct replacement for the stock spring. And I did get the constant spring rate version..which is the oem style. This is from their site....

"Moog offers two types of coil springs: constant-rate springs that restore handling to its original state, and cargo-coil, variable-rate springs as an upgrade for vehicles that carry heavy loads. Moog's constant-rate springs are built to replace original equipment springs, returning ride height and body sway to original performance levels. Replacing worn coil springs with Moog constant-rate springs restores vehicle handling. The cargo-coil, variable-rate springs change resistance as they compress and become progressively stiffer as the load increases"

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS coupe
144 Posts
Just an update. I did just install brand new Subaru oem struts and Subaru oem front coil springs with new Subaru rear struts with Moog oem equivalent rear coil springs (Factory ride height). My suspension is completely stock and I’m running 2004 Sti BBS wheels with 225/45 17” tires. The front wheels/ tires have plenty of clearance and also clear the fender no problem. The rear tires clear the fender no problem also...plenty of gap there even on hard cornering. The rear tires do come close to the rear struts, but don’t rub...I’d say about 1/4” gap. The rear wheels clear the rear struts no problem. I’m using Goodyear F1 summer tires right now on my gold BBS wheels.

Here is a pic of how it stands now. :D

21 - 31 of 31 Posts