Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inspired after reading a thread posted by another member on how to fit a leather shift boot into the 93-97 manual transmission shifter console. The stock rubber accordian boot didn't bother me, but I wanted something a little more suave to compliment my WRX shift knob and ebrake handle.

The install and fitment was quite simple. Tools required for the job are phillips screw driver, a knife, and a pair of needle nose pliers. I was able to pick up the boot, shift knob, and WRX shifter console (not needed) for $15 + shipping off ebay, so this is a very cheap mod.

Here's what I started with:

Next step, remove metal lock washers from the under side of the WRX shifter console. If you don't care about the console, you can just rip the retainer ring out of the trim to free up the shift boot. If you're like me and prefer not to damage anything you can pry the lock washers off with a couple thin knives and a set of needle nose pliers.

Next step is to test fit the WRX boot to ensure proper fitment. The plastic retainer ring on the WRX doesn't fit properly with the L shifter trim, so I chose to separate it from the boot and fit that directly. It is a tight fit, but with a little persuasion the WRX boot fits perfectly on the L shifter trim.

You will now need to figure out a way to attach the boot to the L shifter trim. I chose to use the stock prongs which attach the rubber boot to the shifter trim. You will need to mark the location of each prong on the underside of the shift boot then make a small slit to slide the boot over the prong. The boot will stretch quite a bit so only a very small incision is required.

The boot fit quite well, but there's a gap in the front corners. For this I decided to take a couple zip ties and bring the boot in closer to the shifter trim.

For temporary fitment I used a little tape to seal up the boot around the edges to hold everything in place.

Final product installed in the car:

Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out and it was very simple. None of the stock trim was modified so I can revert back to stock at any point with little effort. Let me know if you have any questions or want more pictures.

·
L On Roids.
98L 2.2
1,371 Posts
nice, this is def one of the DIY ones I need to do. I hate the stock rubber accordian boot. It annonys me that much haha.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice DIY i also need to do that my accordian boot is annoying the shit out of me so this is prolly the next mod i will end up doing

·
Registered
97 OBS + Kouki S14 :-)
51 Posts
one suggestion from another diy... if you dont care about the accordian you can cut off the portion at the bottom that overhangs the stock trim... it would give it a more finished look.

·
Registered
1996 imp jdm ej20 NA dohc swap
400 Posts
Going to be doing this mod as I just bought a sti titanium 5 spd shift knob and would like to get
a different shift boot. Would a 02 - 04 wrx leather shift boot work with the sti titanium 5 spd shift
knob?

Let me know guys!

·
Registered
1996 imp jdm ej20 NA dohc swap
400 Posts
I picked up like a 98 rs manual shift boot and trim. Would just the boot fit the older 93-97 impreza style shifter surround?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts