Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

481 - 500 of 522 Posts

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
Will SOHC cam gears fit phase 1 dohc cams? the mounting looks exactly the same, the o.d. and teeth count is the same, not sure on the offset.
Check the timing points on each too and let us know. Maybe post a couple pics if you can.

-Kurt

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
This is something ive been wondering for a while, I don't have access to any phase 1 engine right now, but I have dohc and sohc phase 2 engines and parts, the two sohc cam gears, one for denso ecus and one for jecs ecus.

If the SOHC cam gear that has the timing points for the denso ecu cars fits a phase 1 dohc then that would free up one of the main limiting factors for running a phase 1 ej20g/k on a newer ecu.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
SOHC phase 2 cam gear that will communicate with the wrx ecu:

EJ20g Metal and Plastic cam gears.

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
I have a couple 20g heads and the correct p2 cam gear (ordered the part #) in this thread. I can try and see if it fits into the cams, but I don't think that will tell us all we need to know. Probably better to try a wrx gear?

-Kurt

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
What I continue to believe to be possible but no one has confirmed (and I have no way of confirming) is that the plastic gears' metal triggers could be removed where they aren't needed. What I don't know is if the cam timing for said triggers is the same. The angular spacing between the triggers is the same... But the TDC reference might be wrong.

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
I'll check and see what parts exactly I have, but I should have everything except the wrx gear. My brother may have one, in which case I can get one for comparison.
I'll post back what I find. May not be until the weekend though.

-Kurt

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
What I continue to believe to be possible but no one has confirmed (and I have no way of confirming) is that the plastic gears' metal triggers could be removed where they aren't needed. What I don't know is if the cam timing for said triggers is the same. The angular spacing between the triggers is the same... But the TDC reference might be wrong.
I'm working on trying to find a donor cam sprocket that I can mess with. I keep coming back to this project and trying to figure things out. I need to find some time to head to the local Pick-n-pull yard and see what I can find on the way of cam sprockets. Yank one of each and compare, as well as post some photos here.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
I'm working on trying to find a donor cam sprocket that I can mess with. I keep coming back to this project and trying to figure things out. I need to find some time to head to the local Pick-n-pull yard and see what I can find on the way of cam sprockets. Yank one of each and compare, as well as post some photos here.
You might want the associated cam, too, so you can confirm the positioning of all the relative triggers are the same.

·
(860)
2001 2.5RSTi Coupe
1,095 Posts
NEED SOME HELP!

finished swapping my 01 RS with a 2002 USDM WRX, trying to read and flash the computer but when i connect the green test connectors and try to Read the ECU with ECUFlash i get an error, the fans start cycling and i know theyre not supposed to when its trying to write/read......any ideas?

·
(860)
2001 2.5RSTi Coupe
1,095 Posts
fixed this a while back....didnt have 12v going to the OBD-II connector so it wasn't initiating communication.........just wanted to post for anyone who might run into this or a similar issue down the road

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
I have a similar problem with my OBDII port. I have to pull it towards me to keep it in contact.

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,804 Posts
Can anyone confirm the pin out's if he 222 ECU yet? Every time I start going though the list I tried to make from tracing wiring diagrams seems to not work out. Maybe I'm just not spending enough time per time tracing it out? I finally have a second car to be able to test without worrying about ruining my daily driver that I can't afford any down time.

·
Registered
03' Forester 2.5X AT
59 Posts
I am about to attempt this on my Raptor Supercharged 2003 Forester 2.5X AT.

Does anyone feel like taking a look at my harness merge spreadsheet and seeing if I screwed up anywhere and also seeing if they have answers to a few unknowns?

The plan is to use a 2004 WRX ECU as it seems to have the closest match for pinouts on the ECU.

Google Sheet here with my swap information.

Also, I know this ECU won't support the CarBerry ROM from what I've read. My plan was to use the NA base map linked to earlier in the thread for reference, though if anyone has a 2004 NA base map that would be awesome.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
I don't know the answers to your AT-related questions, I stay as far as I can from autos. Otherwise, let's see what I can do:

Yes, the WRX MAF has the IAT in it. The MAP sensor uses 5V, but I don't recall where it comes from. There may be a common power supply.

The self-shutoff control IS missing from the pinout, that's why I used the wiring diagrams. You 100% need that or the ECU doesn't turn on... Ask me how I know.

It looks like you have the same stupid 6-wire front O2 as the RS does (and seeing as you have a MAP setup, it's probably the same), the two signal wires HAVE to be kept separate for the original one because of OBD BS. For the 4-wire one it's a lot simpler. Just make sure the O2 sensor wires go to the appropriate pins on the WRX ECU and you're good.

The power supply and the ground for the ECU (control unit, I think they call it) are actually tee'd together a little ways up the harness, so you can smoosh them together if you want.

I don't think I did anything at all with the blow-by sensor, but having run CarBerry I can't say if it will care.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS, GT30R, Haltech E1000
1,254 Posts
any more info if the wrx cams fit on phase 1 motors?? (I have 98 2.5RS DOHC heads)

·
Registered
03WRXRallyCar 05XT 06 OB
8 Posts
Thinking about grabbing a JDM 2.5 from ebay and doing this to my03wrx. Has anyone else swapped a JDM engine in?

481 - 500 of 522 Posts