Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
185 Posts
Good point. I don't have one on the manifold I'm using. And since I don't have it on my old manifold either, I was trying to figure out how to make it work. I ended up buying cheap solenoid from eBay.

Will check the resistance vs oem setup that I have in another v4 STi car...

·
Registered
2.5rs
10 Posts
There are 2 big hoses that connect to the charcoal box in your system. If I remember correctly, one of them has a hose clamp and one does not. Anyway, while you are at home/have access, loosen and remove one of the large hoses at their connection to the charcoal canister. Then lube the hose end with a little soapy water and reinstall in the correct location (but don't reclamp). Repeat for the other large hose. The point is to make them easy to remove by hand later. Don't mess with the small hose (EVAP), it runs to the purge valve on the engine and has nothing to do with fill up.

Drive to your favorite pump. Try filling up. If the nozzle shuts off, pull off one of the hoses. You should be able to bend down and see them without crawling under the car. Try filling again. If it shuts off again, reinstall that hose and try after removing the other.

If one of these combinations works, you can leave it disconnected temporarily to allow a normal fill up. Go home and look under the car to see which hose is disconnected (it is written on the charcoal can).

If it is the hose than runs to the drain, most of your system is good, you just have a plugged drain. Clean out everything downstream of the charcoal can until you find the problem. Often it is a bug or dirt in the vent that goes into the frame rail. If you cannot easily blow through the drain valve assembly when the car is off (by blowing from where it was connected to the charcoal canister), you have a clogging problem.

If it is the hose than runs to the tank, your charcoal canister is probably shot and needs to be replaced. Take it off completely and weigh it. If it is close to or over 5 pounds, it is saturated and needs to be replaced. New should only weigh a little over 3 pounds, maybe 3.5. A new one costs around $75 shipped, I think.

If disconnecting neither large hose works, the problem is probably in your tank, sorry. The valves and hoses around the fill neck don't do a lot for you for fill-up, they are for shut-off when full and reference for pressure control valve. The fuel pump you are using might also flow too fast for your setup. If you know of a pump that fills a little slower, you might try that, too.

Let me know what you find.
Hey ,

I have 2001 impreza coupe I am having the same issue any gas station gas filler keeps popping off. So I went to the gas station took the hoses you said off one by one and it still kept clicking off this issue is driving me craz.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,361 Posts
More info here on this much better forum still using vBulletin and listens to their members vs. buying us out and changing it all, thus killing all the traffic and friendships.

PS: Fuck Vertical Scope.

·
Registered
2.5rs
10 Posts
More info here on this much better forum still using vBulletin and listens to their members vs. buying us out and changing it all, thus killing all the traffic and friendships.

PS: Fuck Vertical Scope.
Hey I live in southern California I have to keep the evap crap it sucks I know. I just want my issue fixed I have tried so many things and still have this annoying issue.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts