Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1999 RS RBP
47 Posts
There's probably a pass through under there or something...I'll check it out this weekend and see if I can make this install happen. Thanks for your ideas, I appreciate the help

·
Registered
2000 Aspen RSTi RA
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There's probably a pass through under there or something...I'll check it out this weekend and see if I can make this install happen. Thanks for your ideas, I appreciate the help
Found these as well. Though for a '92 legacy, it might be similar vintage emissions to the older ej20g. Plus, the pictures of the purge solenoid/its location are good.

part1: 90-94 Legacy Canister Purge solenoid Replacement Instructions part 1 - NASIOC
part2: 90-94 Legacy Canister Purge solenoid Replacement Instructions part 2 - NASIOC

Good luck!

·
Registered
EJ205'ed 2000 RS
48 Posts
Whenever you say the engine/purge valve which valve are you talking about. I have a jdm ej205 from a gd wrx and I've swapped both the valve on the fuller neck and the ecu controlled one with no luck yet.

·
Registered
2000 Aspen RSTi RA
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Whenever you say the engine/purge valve which valve are you talking about. I have a jdm ej205 from a gd wrx and I've swapped both the valve on the fuller neck and the ecu controlled one with no luck yet.
When I reference the engine/purge valve, I am talking about the purge valve. I don't remember why I didn't just call it that, but probably because it is the only valve in this system that mounts on the engine. More specifically, under the intake manifold. All of the other components mount in and around the charcoal canister, fuel fill pipe, or fuel tank.

You didn't say what chassis your GD vintage JDM EJ205 was installed into nor what problems you were having. If I can't help, maybe someone else reading this will be able to chime in, but some more information would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
Pics work fine with a Photobucket embed fix extension.

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
184 Posts
Any chance that my system could work without any purge solenoid at all?
Can someone hint where it should be located on 95 JDM turbo engine (slanted intercooler, turbo with 90 degree inlet)?

I'm in process of rewiring V2 STI EG20G engine to work with V4 EJ20K intake manifold and ECU. I almost finished ECU patch harness but I found that ecu pin that shoulda had controlled purge valve was used to control 5th injector that my engine had on top of the old manifold and I can't find any other pin that was controlling purge valve.
I can't find the valve as well. I know that on EJ20K it's under the manifold near 4th cyl, but on my EJ20G there's nothing that looks like that...

Charcoal canister is 2-port, with big mechanical valve as shown in 1st post of this topic and checkvalve in second hose...
The car itself is NA GC8 shell that was on some point swapped with STi V2 drivetrain and i'm not sure that it was done correctly in the first place (in particular that 5th injector wiring).

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
184 Posts
Well, my car doesn't have EGR for sure. I wonder if any of my cars have it )
here is the pic of RH strut tower:

To me those look like:
- Boost control solenoid
- Pressure exchange solenoid
- MAP sensor
That's all. I believe ignitor should be there as well, but car is converted to newage COPs, so it's deleted...

I remember when I did engine harness merge (V2 to V4 manifold) the wire to 5th injector was solid without splices right till engine harness connector, so I assume that whoever swapped this car had original harness for the engine and the whole car itself. As I said, when I traced this wire to ECU connector, by all manuals that pin should have been purge solenoid control, but on my car it was fifth injector...
I believe it's time to dig out old V2 manifold from the shed with vac lines rat's nest and try to figure out how it was connected "originally" )))

·
Registered
97 WRX STi Type-R
184 Posts
Going of PN's

EGR Solenoid

As I understand, this is pressure exchange solenoid. It connects map sensor (Turbo Boost Pressure Sensor) to the atmosphere to read barometric pressure for altitude correction and when it's done it connects sensor back to manifold to read manifold pressure. You can see routing of vac lines on my photo - map is connected though this solenoid to the intake and that cylindrical thing on the solenoid is some sort of air filter.on the open port to read ambient pressure.

I got my V2 manifold and all vac lines were still intact. Thick line on canister was connected via big valve to fuel tank line and thin line was connected directly to the port on top of throttle body.

So, no solenoid in my setup, although I don't know if it was like this from the factory. Ecu on the car was Z5.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,340 Posts
Here is my thread full of pics of the status. Mine was a CLUSTER fuck of as much JDM wiring and as little USDM, along with an aftermarket Link cut in.

·
Registered
2000 Aspen RSTi RA
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
As I understand, this is pressure exchange solenoid.

Correct. The Ver5/6 STI's have the same thing, just different boost control.

See my post here.

But I must be missing something. If you are using a V4 EJ20K intake manifold and ECU, why wouldn't you use the evap purge solenoid on the bottom of the intake? The hard line from the fuel tank is probably still there in the chassis, but it might be used incorrectly (vented) or capped off.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts