Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

· Registered
99 White Mock 22B / 2004 Forester XT / 2013 BRZ Limited
9,004 Posts
So I have read through this thread now and I am curious. If it get the entire stalk off an older Impreza that had no airbag, can I just swap that over and replace the one out of my RS for the wheel? I don't care about the auto-cancel, I just want a horn. If I get both, great, but in the end the horn is all I am after.

Or, am I better off just taking the wheel off and fabbing up a brass pin of some sorts?

· Registered
1995 WRX 2015 F150
2,722 Posts
So I have read through this thread now and I am curious. If it get the entire stalk off an older Impreza that had no airbag, can I just swap that over and replace the one out of my RS for the wheel? I don't care about the auto-cancel, I just want a horn. If I get both, great, but in the end the horn is all I am after.

Or, am I better off just taking the wheel off and fabbing up a brass pin of some sorts?
if you get the entire pieces from the older impreza without airbag that had that steering wheel you can just swap it and all should work fine
We didn't have any Imprezas in the US without an airbag.

If you get everything from a 90-92 legacy with no airbag everything will just plug in. You unscrew the brass ring off the back of the nardi wheel and it works. That's how I did mine.

· Registered
99 L Sedan
65 Posts
I have access to an Objet connex 500. I can print ABS.
Well I think it's pretty much done, but I haven't been able to get it made in order test fit it, so I've kind of put it aside. This LOOKS accurate, but I have no idea if it would actually fit/work.

That said, I made one from bashing up an ABS electrical conduit, and it could actually perhaps make a better design (kind of based on the canceller in the stock clock spring). It seems to work without the wheel on, but I'll have to see how it goes while installed.

In the mean time! I tried using a rivet that someone else did, but I found that it began to just scratch the hell out of the plate and make a horrible grinding sound on turns, so I did this:

I'd have loved a larger ball bearing, but that's way hard to find! I'd need to get a paint marker, and then I have no idea how I'd mount that tip to a pin so that it's conductive. Something to try, maybe. We'll see how this works!

(BTW, it's a BITCH to clean the ink out of a pen.)

· Registered
1998, 2.5rs coupe, black
57 Posts
Well I think it's pretty much done, but I haven't been able to get it made in order test fit it, so I've kind of put it aside. This LOOKS accurate, but I have no idea if it would actually fit/work.

That said, I made one from bashing up an ABS electrical conduit, and it could actually perhaps make a better design (kind of based on the canceller in the stock clock spring). It seems to work without the wheel on, but I'll have to see how it goes while installed.

In the mean time! I tried using a rivet that someone else did, but I found that it began to just scratch the hell out of the plate and make a horrible grinding sound on turns, so I did this:

I'd have loved a larger ball bearing, but that's way hard to find! I'd need to get a paint marker, and then I have no idea how I'd mount that tip to a pin so that it's conductive. Something to try, maybe. We'll see how this works!

(BTW, it's a BITCH to clean the ink out of a pen.)
N-bomb, How did this work out?

· Registered
95 impreza wagon
1,157 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but I thought it'd be useful to add this for those looking for a brass pin solution:

I purchased a TOYOTA HORN CONTACT PLATE OEM 84312-20011 for $5.00
it fits in the hole with no problems and contacts the brass ring.
I just soldered a wire to the end and ran it down the steering column into the oem 3 pin connector.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts