Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

· Vrooom?
98 Subaru 2.5RS Brilliant Red
1,115 Posts
funny i got to this thread through ebay. Is it possible that i could get dimensions on the "adapter ring piece"? I could probably produce a single piece unless it's really not a problem sourcing two rings.

· Registered
01 Forester
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
funny i got to this thread through ebay. Is it possible that i could get dimensions on the "adapter ring piece"? I could probably produce a single piece unless it's really not a problem sourcing two rings.
It is a problem sourcing the rings, but I don't think you would have enough interest to justify making them. Maybe you would have some interest though. I don't have any dimensions and I don't foresee removing my steering wheel anytime soon, but if I do I'll get the dimensions.

How did you get to this through ebay?

· Vrooom?
98 Subaru 2.5RS Brilliant Red
1,115 Posts
haha I was looknig to buy a nardi steering wheel and the auction was nice enough too provide a FAQ on how to install. And your thread was there. Yea I realize it would be difficult to source which is why I considered making a piece. I don't have problems in getting it manufactured though even if it's just for myself or a couple. Being an engineer does have some perks...lol

· Registered
2001/2007 RSTi BRP
477 Posts
Making horn button operational

I thought I should share this.

Since I did not have a JDM stalk, to replace the brass pin, I created this contraption out of stuff in my house.

Things Used:

A small rivet
- rounded tip and has a spring stopper built in.
Small spring - I got mine from a nasal spray. Zycam to be exact. Came with the white washer as well, it will have to be bored out to slide smoothly.
Some wiring goodies - whatever you got should work out.

Installed.

It works great. Enjoy.

· Registered
'04 STI w/DomTuned madness
94 Posts
I found a Canadian '94 Impreza at the junkyard with no drivers side airbag. It has the correct 3 prong center ring for the JDM wheel. The horn has a weird little never ending roll connector. But once I pulled that off I found the hole in the top left for the horn contact just like the jdm switches. I'll have to make my own spring loaded horn contact but that should be no problem. I wont be able to work on this for a few days but I'll try to keep this thread updated to help.

So if anyone still needs the 3 prong center ring try looking for an old impreza or even a BC/BF Legacy with a non airbag wheel. You should be able to get the ring from there.

· Registered
'04 STI w/DomTuned madness
94 Posts
I spent a few hours on this today. Honestly a few more than I planned. My 3 prong ring was too short as well but I didn't have a 2nd one to cut and merge with. So I got creative with the 1/2 clockspring and signal canceler that was in the car. I didn't bother to take pictures because by the time I finally got it to work I was too tired to care. Lets just say I notched the 3 prong, left three tabs on the old canceler, shortened them both and pushed them together. For the horn I used a long skinny nail with a crimped on ring terminal and a pen spring.

I also got lucky and grabbed the stalk/column surround at the junkyard which was a no trim perfect fit for a non-airbag wheel.

Thanks for all the posts here. The help was appreciated.

Here's the pics!!! (sorry just noticed the 1st pic is blurry, I'll post more pics after I get my 93-98 leather shift boot from the UK)

· Registered
2000, RS, White, and Stock
52 Posts
So I was following this write up, but my friend is piecing a cheap aftermarket wheel on and doesnt have some of the old wiring. We are not to worried about the horn or signals but we can not get the cruise control to work. We have to hard wire the cruise control switch because he can not find any of the parts from his old steering wheel. So I was wondering what order the wires were in for the horn/cruise harness under the column?

· Registered
99' GC3 BRP
305 Posts
somebody tried the reverse way to this?

having a momo steering wheel from a '98 with airbag to a '94 hub that don't come with airbag or clockspring

how to wire the horn and make the turn signals work? or i need to get the '98 hub with a clockspring to install it?

· Premium Member
96 GF4 " Bruiser"
5,136 Posts
i doubt there is a writeup, but from what ive recently found is your gonna need a lot more parts.

gonna need at least the turn signal assembly with clock spring and wiper stalks, wiring and have to merge the wiring to make it work.

and if you really want it proper you need a new column.

· Registered
99' GC3 BRP
305 Posts
i got that white plastic assembly with the two switches, but it also was from a car that use that metal pin to make the horn work, use a circular black plastic to make the turn signals work and don't have the clockspring so no airbag too

i must get the clockspring to make the horn and turn signals work? would a legacy or something work or screw in it?

· Registered
99' GC3 BRP
305 Posts
i got that white plastic assembly with the two switches, but it also was from a car that use that metal pin to make the horn work, use a circular black plastic to make the turn signals work and don't have the clockspring so no airbag too

i must get the clockspring to make the horn and turn signals work? would a legacy or something work or screw in it?
bump!

· Registered
99' GC3 BRP
305 Posts
i doubt there is a writeup, but from what ive recently found is your gonna need a lot more parts.

gonna need at least the turn signal assembly with clock spring and wiper stalks, wiring and have to merge the wiring to make it work.

and if you really want it proper you need a new column.
so this is what i learned about looking at 2 different imprezas

one was a 99 impreza, without stock airbag ----> car 1
the other was a 00 impreza wrx with stock airbag ----> car 2

so the differences betwen them are a lot:
- car 2 come with clockspring
- car 1 come with brass ring and plastic ring, for horn and turn signal cancel respective
- car 2 have a larger steering column and the car 1 is shorter (the part between switches and driver)
- car 2 atach the steering wheel closer to the driver than car 1, that's the reason why the steering column is larger

so in conclusion:
you can't put an steering wheel with airbag in a car that don't have airbags, because they are shorter and you can't atach it to the car
but you can put a steering wheel without airbag in a car that have airbags without troubles

so for example if your car came with a momo steering wheel (v5-v6), you can put a nardi one (v3-v4) one your car, ofcourse you will lose the airbag
but is impossible to put a v5-v6 wheel to a v3-v4, the cars are different, the only way you can is to modify the brass and the plastic ring and put it to the momo wheel, cause is not possible to put a clockspring on one of them

and because everyone like pics and maybe you didn't read anything that i said, this is the reason of everything:

that thing is shorter in the cars that don't have airbags, this time subaru totally fucked me

· Huge Member
2000 RSTi
1,348 Posts
I've had my 22b wheel for about 10 years with no horn or turn cancelling. I need to do this to make my life much happier. Thanks for bumping this up. :)

· Registered
99 rustbox
1,597 Posts
just bought a nardi wheel and im reasearching for install. do i need all those jdm parts and ish for cancelling turn signals AND a horn? OR just one or the other? I can live with cancelling turn signals and no horn, but i want to make sure I know what Im getting into... bump for feedback!

81 - 100 of 117 Posts