Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to do these yourself? I have been pushing back my Delta cam install because I just hit the 100k on my car and it needs some regular maintenance (read: water pump, timing belt, oil seal) so I don't have the money to get a machine shop to do it for me anymore. I know where to get the seals, but how do I put them on? Do I need any special tools?

-Doug

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Do you mean valve cover gaskets or valve seals or cam seals?

·
Registered
00 2.5RS BRP
687 Posts
Valve seals are easy. When you take the valve covers off (5 bolts on either side), you just peel the old one off, clean the valve cover, and place the new gasket around. Put a little bit of oil on it and you're good to go. Takes about 5 minutes.
nothing takes 5 minutes try like 20

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you mean valve cover gaskets or valve seals or cam seals?
I mean the seals that need to be replaced when you install new cams. Maybe that's all of those you mentioned? But if I can do them all myself then that's $250 I'm saving by not going to a machine shop.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Yeah if you can I would replace them all while doing your cams. They each take about a minute if your already in the process of doing the cams. When your putting it back together just use the new seal rather than the old. You do have to pull the valves out to put in new valve seals though...Worth it IMO esp if you can get your hands on a valve spring compressor.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I attempted changing mine... total PITA. Its very difficult to keep the compressor from moving towards the bucket walls and you definately don't want to scratch those. Still not sure since the engine only has about 43k.

·
Registered
1996 BRIGHTON coupe baby!
34 Posts
I'm in the middle of changing them right now actually... got the valves sitting in some lil baggies on the washing machine >_<. You're right total pita, had to make my own valve compressor, but it's not more than an hour and a half job... and I've got a broken wrist!!! You should be able to do these no problem man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts