Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

241 - 260 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've taken the valve cover off, which was extremely tricky one the driver side since there was very little space. It took me about 15 minutes of manipulation and twisting. Now that I've ready to put it about on, I can't seem to fit it in. Tried for the last 3 hours...Any advice on how I can get this back on? This is driving me bonkers. :bonk:
I feel your pain, I went through the same process outside during a cold snap in early march where it was 20 below... check my post: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/51254-diy-valve-cover-spark-plug-gasket-install-20.html#post2749972

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like im gonna be doing this soon. Any tips/ advice to do this on an 07 Subaru legacy 2.5 non-turbo. Really can't pull the motor to do this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since this threads still getting some activity I will mention this; before looking to do this job check and see that you don't have the start of a hg leak as these have to come off again for that job (like mine did 3 months later), where I could have lived with this until then and saved myself the hassle as the motor came out.

^ Regarding your question about the leggy. The Engines the same as my 2.5i Impreza so the valve covers will need more room to get off than on the previous 2.5 na, not sure what the layout of your engine bay is like, if you have more room than the Impreza it might be easily doable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to do this tonight and some sand/dirt particles fell down into the valvetrain area. I tried to clean out the visible particles, but I know that there will be some left since I can't see it all. Has anyone else had this happen? It wasn't a crazy amount but still enough to have me worried..

·
Registered
99 black OBS 5mt
64 Posts
Any one know if those parts are for the 2.2L phase 2 engine only or will they work for 2.5s? I went and got them all so I could do it but my engine ended up loosing a rod bearing and I had have a newer one installed. So now they are useless to me and i missed the return time back to the dealer to get a refund.

·
Registered
2004 Integra Outback Sport
16 Posts
I went to do this tonight and some sand/dirt particles fell down into the valvetrain area. I tried to clean out the visible particles, but I know that there will be some left since I can't see it all. Has anyone else had this happen? It wasn't a crazy amount but still enough to have me worried..
The oil will wash them away and the oil filter will trap them, unless you dropped a handful of sand you should be okay.

I did mine Saturday morning, took slightly more than 2 hours but only because I decided to polish my valve covers with a drill wire brush. Slight smell of burnt oil after from a few drops that fell on my exhaust, shouldn't be an issue.

Oh, removing the oil filler neck was impossible because of the frame on top of the engine so I carefully left it on to remove the cover but then couldn't put it back, I removed the neck but then the back bolt is too long to be put back on so I simply shortened it by about 1/4" with a Dremel. Shouldn't be an issue, there's little pressure there and it still threaded plenty.

Thanks for the writeup, total cost for me was about 25$ in parts from rockauto. Local garage quoted me just under 300$ for this job.

Sent from my K1, probably while on the crapper...

·
Registered
2004 Integra Outback Sport
16 Posts
The oil will wash them away and the oil filter will trap them, unless you dropped a handful of sand you should be okay.

I did mine Saturday morning, took slightly more than 2 hours but only because I decided to polish my valve covers with a drill wire brush. Slight smell of burnt oil after from a few drops that fell on my exhaust, shouldn't be an issue.

Oh, removing the oil filler neck was impossible because of the frame on top of the engine so I carefully left it on to remove the cover but then couldn't put it back, I removed the neck but then the back bolt is too long to be put back on so I simply shortened it by about 1/4" with a Dremel. Shouldn't be an issue, there's little pressure there and it still threaded plenty.

Thanks for the writeup, total cost for me was about 25$ in parts from rockauto. Local garage quoted me just under 300$ for this job.

Sent from my K1, probably while on the crapper...
Oh, before I forget, I mentioned this on my "home" Montreal Racing forum, and I wanted to share it here:

The car was running well before BUT I had some hesitation, mostly when accelerating hard and suddenly, I THOUGHT I HAD A TRANSMISSION PROBLEM because the car seemed like it was hunting for the correct gear and/or the kickdown wasn't working properly. Let's say I was traveling at 90km/h and wanted to pass someone, I'd go WOT and the car would shutter, hesitate for a VERY DANGEROUS second and a half, then downshift and start accellerating.

After changing the gaskets last Saturday, the hesitation is COMPLETELY GONE!

The reason I want to mention this is that a lot of Impreza AUTOMATIC drivers have complained of the kickdown issue I had, and they seem to concur with the general opinion that the transmission is flawed and that the ECU handling the downshifts is badly coded and people just accepted that as a built in flaw.

It's not.

After changing the valve cover gaskets (that weren't leaking) and the spark plug tube gaskets (two were leaking) it appears that THE VACUUM system of the car is now actually SEALED.

Not only do I have a noticeable amount of extra power, the kickdown issue is completely gone.

So there, if you have oil on your spark plugs, it's an easy (under 2 hours) and cheap (parts are <30$ at Rockauto) fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When doing the valve cover gasket replacement, has anyone replaced the grommets (16)? I just called my local subaru dealer and was quoted 186 + taxes for 2 valve cover gasket (ps+ds), the spark plug tube seals, and the 16 grommets! Yikes... I have the 2002 impreza ts wagon, and am looking to pick this kit up from parts train... This should suffice, yes?

http://www.partstrain.com/store/det.../TS/4_Cyl_2-dot-5L/FPVS50561R.html?vdesc=true

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
not to bring up dead thread here, but I've just found i have to tackle this myself, and looking around I can't seem to find a kit for my car (impreza '06 2.5i) the only thing i seem to find is this. Only, it doesn't come with the rocker covers, which finding them for my car (just in case the part number is different from the start of the thread) is impossible. with the part number at the start of the thread, they're about 2.50 a piece, which kinda sucks. Does anyone know of a kit that has everything that works for my car. i did find this, on amazon, but it says it won't work with my '06 yet other sites say it will...

Also, please tell me i can do this to my car without jacking the motor up. I am fully willing to curse, scream, and cry. Just not jack up the motor, because I know that will end wrong.

thanks, chris.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...73/10307241-P?searchTerm=victor+reinz+vs50473

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
not to bring up dead thread here, but I've just found i have to tackle this myself, and looking around I can't seem to find a kit for my car (impreza '06 2.5i) the only thing i seem to find is this. Only, it doesn't come with the rocker covers, which finding them for my car (just in case the part number is different from the start of the thread) is impossible. with the part number at the start of the thread, they're about 2.50 a piece, which kinda sucks. Does anyone know of a kit that has everything that works for my car. i did find this, on amazon, but it says it won't work with my '06 yet other sites say it will...

Also, please tell me i can do this to my car without jacking the motor up. I am fully willing to curse, scream, and cry. Just not jack up the motor, because I know that will end wrong.

thanks, chris.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...73/10307241-P?searchTerm=victor+reinz+vs50473
we offer our full kit:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f14/t167...gasket-kit-most-complete-setup-out-there.html

·
Registered
2005, Impreza 2.5 RS
2 Posts
I know its 8 years later but your thread has really help me install the gaskets, rockers and seals for the valve cover. thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Was just starting to do this and snapped one of the top valve cover bolts. Anyone know the part number? It's the longer of the valve cover bolts. The top two bolts on both valve covers are longer than the middle and bottom three.

·
Registered
2005, Impreza 2.5 RS
2 Posts
Was just starting to do this and snapped one of the top valve cover bolts. Anyone know the part number? It's the longer of the valve cover bolts. The top two bolts on both valve covers are longer than the middle and bottom three.
Hmm I dont know...you have three possibilities:
1- You can go look for the part number in a service manual.
2- Get the cover bolt to a dealership parts department and ask them for the same bolt
3 - or just go to a hardware store and do the same

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
739 Posts
Just finished changing mine with a Napa gasket set. Pretty straight forward and didn't take too long with my ratchet wrench. I was gonna paint the covers before I put em back in, but it was too tight a squeeze that I would've just scratched them up...

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza Outback
1 Posts
My Impreza Outback Sport (2.0L) has the same issue, thought it was a major problem, what a relief. Excellent instructions and very well detailed, Thank You!

Bill (BGP157)

241 - 260 of 267 Posts