Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

221 - 240 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
2005 forester
294 Posts
Bump. Any thoughts?

Looks like the dealer has to order the bolt. Soob is gonna be on the shoulder of 80 for one more night!
thats some bad luck. why not throw down the cash to get it towed home? i would be worried leaving my car on the side of the highway. any junkyards near your area?

EDIT: oh btw, after reading how hard of a time many of you are having changing it in the car, i've decided to pick up a valve cover gasket from Subaru now since im pulling the engine out to do the rear main seal/crank seal/oil separator plate. shouldnt be too hard with nothing in the way lol

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
MY16 Impreza Sport Limited
4,773 Posts
Awesome write up. Now I know how to do this seeing as how I've been meaning to for years lol

·
Registered
96 L Turbo Wagon
3,641 Posts
Can anyone tell me if my phase I single port EJ22e has the spark plug gaskets? I thought they did but the dealership told me they don't exist.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive been thinking on doing this myself but havent worked on cars much. I see that it dont call for much work from what Im seeing on here. I could also need info on changing the oil pan gasket. Can I get some ideas on the oil pan gasket?

·
Registered
1991 Justy GL "Overland"
3,641 Posts
Can anyone tell me if my phase I single port EJ22e has the spark plug gaskets? I thought they did but the dealership told me they don't exist.

VS

No, it is an entirely different set-up to the 2.5's in terms of the spark plug gaskets.

·
Registered
2000 RS 5mt
202 Posts
Props to the OP for this DIY, got everything done just in time for a road trip! After cleaning the oil out, changing the plugs and getting fresh NGK wires the ol RS stopped guzzling gas and started sipping like it's tea time all the time.

·
Registered
2001 STM 2.5RS
11 Posts
glad this write up exists, made looking for p/n's and learning how to do this alot easier. All my parts are in and im going to do this saturday morning.

·
Registered
01 gc8 black
37 Posts
LOve this write up, but before i start
10 x 13271AA071 Rocker Cover Washers
04 x 10966AA000 GSKT-SPARK PL PIP
02 x 13294AA053 GSKT-ROCKER COVER
those are for both passenger and driver side, correct? i odnt wanna have to do one side and go grab more for my other side lOl :]

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
146 Posts
whats the best way to tell if and where the valve cover gasket is leaking from?
ummm.. look at them? j/k. ...kind of. :disappear

The way most people in this thread have found out is pulling off your spark plug boot, and getting a handfull of oil.

otherwise just look around the entire seam between the cylinder head and the valve cover and look for oil coming out and getting your nice clean engine all dirty....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Changing the Spark plugs, wires, spark plug gaskets and valve cover gaskets 05 RS

Great write-up. I'm new to the Subaru Club and have found a wealth of knowledge already in a few days on this forum. Thanks. Is it okay to change the sparks plugs as well when the cover is off? I need to change them, already bought them and new wires.

·
Registered
OBS to 04 Forester xs
659 Posts
Great write-up. I'm new to the Subaru Club and have found a wealth of knowledge already in a few days on this forum. Thanks. Is it okay to change the sparks plugs as well when the cover is off? I need to change them, already bought them and new wires.
Welcome to the club!

And yes it is okay to change the spark plugs when the cover is off. You just need the spark plug socket and an extension

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome to the club!

And yes it is okay to change the spark plugs when the cover is off. You just need the spark plug socket and an extension
Thanks. I imagine this will save a little bit of time doing them both at once... Lovin the car already...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
113 Posts
By the way folks, I just bought my gasket set from Partstrain.com for just under $12. It was almost $7 for shipping totaling about $20 shipped. it is the same kit that Advanced Auto parts/AutoZone and the rest want for about $50. Fel_pro brand.

·
Registered
08' Cooper S, 98' RBP 2.5 RS
97 Posts
When doing this on a phase 1 DOHC engine, how much oil should one expect to drain from the removal of the valve cover? Curious to know how much of a mess this is going to make.
Seems drivers side is leaking so I will be tending to it tomorrow.

·
Registered
99' WRB GC8 WRX - TooLazy
1,376 Posts
hey guys. Umm... so, I just got my engine in recently after "swapping" and while the engine was out I replaced timing belt and all that stuff an also the valve cover gaskets. So last night I was putting oil on it and noticed that it dripped right through while I was pouring the oil on :unamused:. But it didn´t really continue to drip after I stopped pouring.

Anyway, this is a ´99 2l turbo engine and has different valve covers than the on the engine that OP posted. And it looks pretty stuffed and doesn´t seem like a lot of space... So my question is, are these gaskets as easily replaced?

Edit: Nevermind, already did it, no problem.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza Outback Sport
1 Posts
I've taken the valve cover off, which was extremely tricky one the driver side since there was very little space. It took me about 15 minutes of manipulation and twisting. Now that I've ready to put it about on, I can't seem to fit it in. Tried for the last 3 hours...Any advice on how I can get this back on? This is driving me bonkers. :bonk:

221 - 240 of 267 Posts