Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
MY16 Impreza Sport Limited
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this thread i will be showing you how to tint/smoke your taillights and/or any other lights on your car.
Its quite simple.

All you need is; your taillights removed, glass cleaner, and Polycarb Window Tint 3 oz. you can purchase the tint from http://www.hobbyfever.com/

Note: THE TINT CAN IS A 3 OZ CAN, Yet i've done 3 layers of tint on my taillights,3 layers on the 3rd brake light, 3 layers on both side markers and 4 layers on the bumper lights, and 4 layers on my clear corners.

1. remove the tail lights and any other surface you plan to tint.
  2. Next, thoroughly clean the surface with glass cleaner (windex will do)
  3. Shake the can for a good 60sec
  4. then as if you were spray painting anything, begin with one even coat, then continue with as many as 5 layers.
  5. spray as evenly and carefully as possible, if you spray too much on one area you could cause dripping and a deeper tint than on another part of the surface.
  6. When finished allow surface to lay in the sun (if possible) for 10-15min.
  7. Finally reinstall lights and enjoy!
I don't suggest going any deeper than 6layers. Beyond 6 layers could violate local laws and could cause drivers behind you to be unable to see the brake lights, blinkers, and/or reverse lights.

·
Registered
2000 WRX STI Type-RA Limited
687 Posts
I've alway been weary of blacking out my tails since my brother got rearended. I would hate to have the other cars insurance company say that they couldn't see the brake lights and have to go to court and possible lose over it.
Good writeup anyway.

·
Registered
439 Posts
a friend of mine did this to his tails and reccomended i do mine as well, he did it much the same as you, but he reccomended light sanding with 1000 grit, then spraying on the tint, followed by a spray laquer. Make any sense? havent done mine yet so im curious

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahh i understand how that could be a concern to some. and it was to me as well, so i only did 3 layers, theyre not as dark as the pics show them to be, like in the sun you can still see the red and the orange, mine are just lightly tinted. thanks tho

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a friend of mine did this to his tails and reccomended i do mine as well, he did it much the same as you, but he reccomended light sanding with 1000 grit, then spraying on the tint, followed by a spray laquer. Make any sense? havent done mine yet so im curious
i have heard of lightly sanding the surface to remove any clear coats [if any] but if you don't sand it, then when you spray on the tint, your tails will still have their shine. like mine, are still shiny and they look like i have a clear coat but i don't it all depends on how dark you go. a friend of mine did his scion way too dark and it looked like crap, he then sanded it with the wrong grit paper and ended up scratching his lights. so its all in the discretion of the painter. i've done 4 other friends cars the same way i did mine and they look superb. good luck and i hope i've helped. any other question PM me or you can usually find me on aim; teeceRS25

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey bro, were u able 2 get a way with using 1 3 oz can 4 all the lights u did
yes. i was able to do all my lights and my clear corners with one 3oz can. just in case i suggest buying 2 3oz cans, just to be sure, but also then you'll have another can in case you want to do more. also remember when you spray it on it won't look as dark as it will when it dries. so i only suggest 4-5 layers. good luck. let me know if you need any more help, tips or even let me know if it worked out for you.
-happy modding

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BETTER IMAGES OF MY TINT WORK ON THE SUBARU

^tinted bumper light

^tinted clear corner

^tinted grille badge

^tinted side marker

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
^I just taped the shit out of my area and covered it with newspaper.

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
Cheaper option towards JDM tails.

Anything orange on my car is gone! Except, the clear corners.

I don't understand why it's flat. Maybe I held the can wrong? VHT is still good stuff. I'll get some clear coat though.

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
I would suggest wet sanding with 100grit or higher then putting the tint on. This allows the tint something to adhere to. Then when you done with that use clear coat to protect it. If there are scratches then you a rubbing compound and that should make it shine again.
I just watches this video YouTube - HOW TO TINT YOUR TAIL LIGHTS WITH VHT NITESHADES (VIDEO 1 OF 2)
100 grit sandpaper, are you crazy?

Has anyone used this to actually tint their windows or just lights?
Yeah, don't do that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts