Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
MY16 Impreza Sport Limited
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this thread I will share with all you Subaru owners like me who are low on cash how to build a Short Ram Intake for your 98-01 Subaru Impreza. The intake only takes about 30minutes to build and install.

1.Supplies:
  • Flat Head Screw Driver
  • Access to a dryer(such as hair dryer or something to heat rubber without melting it.)
  • Phillips Head Screw Driver
  • Filter Oil/Cleaner
2. Next drive to your local Autozone and purchase 1 3-3.5in 90 Degree Stainless Steel Pipe(can be found under intake piping, not the steel pipes because theyre too small and rigid.) 1 3-3.5in 60degree Stainless Steel Pipe, 1 3-3.5 Cone Air Filter, 1 3-2.5in coupler, and 1 3-3.5in couplers.It should total out to be approx. $60.

3. This is the easy part. Next when you get home, take apart your stock intake leaving the large air box at the intake manifold, but remove the flat rectangular filter in the box. (I use the box because it is where all your vacuum hoses are hooked up and this way you wont need to drill any holes in the new pipes.)

4. Next piece together the 90degree pipe to the 60degree using one of the
3-3.5in couplers. This is where the dryer or hair dryer come in. The couplers have been sitting in the packaging for who knows how long, and they won't easily fit on to the pipes, by heating the coupler it will allow you a few moments to squeeze the pipes together with the coupler.

5. Next, grease the cone filter. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PRODUCT.

6. Now fit the filter onto the 60degree pipe.

7. Next fit the 3in side of the 3-2.5in coupler onto the 90degree pipe. then fit the 2.5 side onto the factory air box pipe. tighten the bolt very tightly that way your positive it wont move.

8. Test the product, make sure all the connections are tight and no air escapes.

You can refer to my cardomain page(www.cardomain.com/ride/3039606/4) to preview how it should look when finished. I used this mod for 5mo. until a friend of mine didn't want his unused Injen Cold Air so I took kindly took it off his hands.

YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WILL TURN ON, BUT GIVE THE CAR 2-4 DAYS FOR IT TO ASSIMULATE THE MOD. It should turn off on its own.

With this mod you will see increase in hp, gas mileage and your engine will sound more fierce than stock.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Looks good. You should reset your ECU by disconnecting the battery after you are finished. I installed a "hybrid" intake... aka just the tubing to the airbox... and when I first started the car, it idled horribly. I turned it off and started again... same thing. Then I reset the ECU and it worked good. After a few weeks of driving around, it's running 100% good.

·
Registered
2.5rs 2000 STM
611 Posts
This is good but the only problem i find with it is that ram intakes are designed out of one piece tubing for a smoother airflow leaving the stock airbox wil create turbulant air before enterin the manifold. so you might have a cool sound but really probably just hurting the performance

·
Registered
13 Impreza
1,334 Posts
This is good but the only problem i find with it is that ram intakes are designed out of one piece tubing for a smoother airflow leaving the stock airbox wil crate tubulant air before enterin the manifold so you might have a cool sound but really probably just hurting the performance
apparently, retaining that box allows you to keep your torque numbers fairly similar to stock instead of losing some.

don't quote me, but i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I had a pipe about a foot long off the tb. check my members journal.
no loss of anything, and an insane wastegate-sounding chirp up top.

·
Registered
2.5rs 2000 STM
611 Posts
apparently, retaining that box allows you to keep your torque numbers fairly similar to stock instead of losing some.

don't quote me, but i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere.
it would if instead of removing the filter you left it on like in the ganzflow intake but in this case the air goes in and bounces around the box before entering. I mean im no engineer but i work with ram air and bleed air systems on aircraft everyday and i mean thats just the way i picture the airflowing, when i picture it in my head,

·
Registered
13 Impreza
1,334 Posts
it would if instead of removing the filter you left it on like in the ganzflow intake but in this case the air goes in and bounces around the box before entering. I mean im no engineer but i work with ram air and bleed air systems on aircraft everyday and i mean thats just the way i picture the airflowing, when i picture it in my head,
ahem..... i clearly specified not to quote me, as i'm not an engineer.... merely a reader.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow, thanks for all the comments everyone. but i've moved onto a two piece cold air intake. for those of you with a maf sensor, what you can do is drill a hole a little smaller than the sensor into the plastic pipe and put the sensor there. but i wasnt aware that the 98-99's had a different set up sorry.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'm lovin my CAI. no problems at all, and much hp, pick up and growl increase! INJEN is the way to go. plus i got it for free!

·
Banned
55 Posts
Anyone looking to trade a cai for my aem short ram? Good condition...Not hijacking im getting to my point..lol...Can i get some 6" pipe and coupler it to my aem short ram and make it a cai?

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
Anyone looking to trade a cai for my aem short ram? Good condition...Not hijacking im getting to my point..lol...Can i get some 6" pipe and coupler it to my aem short ram and make it a cai?
yes.... dont get 6"(inch) pipe.

get the same size as the AEM

but yes you can

·
Registered
01 Legacy GTL
729 Posts
so if i built this SRI, i could just extend it into the fender and then i would have a DIY CAI right? Pros/Cons CAI vs. SRI

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so if i built this SRI, i could just extend it into the fender and then i would have a DIY CAI right? Pros/Cons CAI vs. SRI
yes. you can extend it to a cai but the con with a DIY cai like what your thinking of is there will be waaaaaayyyyy tooo many bends and that will ultimately reduce hp and gas mileage.

CAI;
Pros: doubles gas mileage, louder engine growl, enhances looks of engine bay, much lighter than factory intake, better pick up, creates more room in the engine bay, uses cold air which is healthier for your engine.
Cons: a bit expensive, slight pain to install.

SRI;
Pros: better gas mileage, a little louder engine growl, enhances looks of engine bay,lighter than factory intake, some more pick up,easy install, cheap.
Cons: uses hot air in engine bay which isn't always good air for the engine can reduce power, sharper bends.

although i made the SRI sound better, trust me the CAI is worth your money, especially with the location if you own a 00-01 impreza cuz they dont get too dirty. i dont ever plan on going back to the sri or factory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts