Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

261 - 267 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
MY97 Outback Sport
19 Posts
After what seemed like more than 8 hours, it was all installed: TIC u joint update, kartboy front and rear bushings, and an oem short shifter. Went on a test drive and it will only shift into second with complete force and then moving into neutral is equally as difficult. Did not have this issue prior to install, any feedback before I do this all over?

·
Registered
MY97 Outback Sport
19 Posts
I installed it in the correct order. When I was removing the u joint/knuckle it was stuck, so I used a chisel and hammer and it came off. I am worried that when I used the hammer it damaged second gear? I saw others used a hammer without this issue.

·
Registered
01 white GF
2,337 Posts
;)

I did the same thing when I did my bushings. It looks like it's supposed to face the other way when you install it.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited, 1998 Impreza 2.5RS
49 Posts
Reviving this thread just to say thanks for the write-up. I just picked up a 1998 RS last week and the shift linkage is beyond sloppy. Missing the spring doesn't help, but the join is definitely shot. Unfortunately someone bastardized the roll pin location, so now I've got even more of a headache in front of me. I'm pretty sure they snapped off a punch in the hole, because the large pin is sticking half way out the other side and nothing will budge. Also looks like someone may have tried to drill out whatever got lodged in the hole, and the bit slipped. This should be fun.

261 - 267 of 267 Posts