Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

221 - 240 of 267 Posts

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
MAPP gas torch. Heat the fuccker!

Or yeah, there's always dremel-ing it off with an angle-grinder.

·
Registered
2002 PSM WRX, 1999RS Black
840 Posts
So finally got it off. I had to torch it til it was cherry red and then take a cutting wheel to it. I put a new joint on and everything back together. The shifter is back to normal with a tight feel.

I am still having an issue which is the reason I bought the new shift joint (thinking it was the issue)

I am getting a metal to metal tapping noise when in gear going in forward gears. No noise in neutral or reverse. I thought it was the shift joint since it was in such bad condition, I was wrong.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? I have looked over everything underneith the car. Could a U-Joint in the driveshaft be making this noise?

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Probably a bad U joint, or a bad carrier bearing. Get the car in the air in neutral and spin the rear tires/driveshaft.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Checked U-Joints, axles, shift linkage, tranny mount, bushings. Everything checked out. What could be making this sound? Fluids are good and shifts fine. No clue! LOL

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think I found the culprit. My drivers axle roll pin is loose in the hole and is sliding out. Don't sure how that happened but Ill be getting a new pin today in hopes that it will fix this issue.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Didnt fix the issue. I have no idea what this noise is. Car shift fine, drives fine but clicking/knocking noise when in forward gears. Sounds like a piece of metal hitting another piece of metal. Nothing is abnormal under the car.

·
Registered
98 2.5 rs black non turbo stil
41 Posts
So completed this job on my 98 rs non-turbo, without exhaust or crossmember removal, just heat shield. Took about 4 hrs total (shift bushings too) and had to get little creative with my tools, but I was able to make it work. The key was keeping the car in 5th gear, I saw a guy on NASIOC do the same on his forester, so I can't take credit for that move. Yes it is a PITA, but totally worth it. Also my car did have the spring on it FYI

·
Registered
98 2.5 rs black non turbo stil
41 Posts
emsmap, did you check the really simple things like shifter pivot bushing? and clean out the rubber boot around the shift linkage? Rear shift bushing? Also do you have a short throw shifter on there? the linkage could be rubbing because on the higher angle the short throws use.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Kartboy pivot bushings, Kartboy rear Shifter stay bushing. OEM shifter. I like said, the knocking gets faster when RPMs rise.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
6 Posts
I get that noise too, but it's because i replaced the bushings out of the shifter arm for metal washers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm getting ready to attempt this in the coming weeks on my 98 RS. I've ordered a new joint and shifter bushing set. My RS has the famous left to right wobble and it's difficult to get into 3rd gear. I have two questions:

Could someone recommend a punch set that will work well for this?

Did everyone put the car on four jack stands or will simply two in the front do?

·
Registered
Project "Kenya"
73 Posts
I'm getting ready to attempt this in the coming weeks on my 98 RS. I've ordered a new joint and shifter bushing set. My RS has the famous left to right wobble and it's difficult to get into 3rd gear. I have two questions:

Could someone recommend a punch set that will work well for this?

Did everyone put the car on four jack stands or will simply two in the front do?

Just get a punch set from home depot, make sure it has 3/16 punch and a 5/16 punch in it

Four jacks was easier for me

221 - 240 of 267 Posts